1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by PainlessWolf »

After the day was done, I sat down with the idler wheels and mounts and gave them a once over. The differences between static and rc versions were negligable and mainly had to do with the size of screw which mounted them. I went with the static set that Mike sent over since there was no channel in the middle of the idler itself to guide the rc version tracks. An hour of filing followed to clean up the surface of the idlers and add a bevel so as to simulate the tire. I used the Mr. Surfacer 500 to give some texture to the plastic 'tire' and am pretty satisfied with them. I do not think that I will be adding letters to these since they will see a lot more use outdoors. I'll pick some of the rest of the detailing to do to bring them a little more realism. Pics: ( Click to enlarge )
Attachments
A filed in bevel and a coat of Mr. Surfacer has the idler wheels looking better already.
A filed in bevel and a coat of Mr. Surfacer has the idler wheels looking better already.
Two different types of plastic also make up the idler arms and wheels.
Two different types of plastic also make up the idler arms and wheels.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

I carried on with the Idlers and their mounts tonight and tried out my idea for a tin base for the existing hollow piece. I cut out one and bent it to fit and looked at it one way and then another. To be honest, the effect I wanted from it ( a moving idler mount ) can be achieved with a couple of pieces of brass tubing and a some washers. ( all of which I have ) So I gave up on this tin horn idea and gathered up the excellent resin and plastic detail bits that John from East Coast Armory had sent my way. Some clean up will be needed but it would not be a model if 'flash' was not an issue at times. Pics: ( Click to enlarge )
Attachments
The glue and epoxy that I swear by....( usually never at )
The glue and epoxy that I swear by....( usually never at )
East Coast Armory for the save! As far as detailing the idler mounts goes...
East Coast Armory for the save! As far as detailing the idler mounts goes...
A tin idea that did not quite pan out.
A tin idea that did not quite pan out.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Five or so hours today went into work ( fun ) with the Stuarts very basic looking idler mounts. While not the 90% scratch built masterpieces from Mr. Steinbrunn, these are very sturdy and look much more realistic than before. Pics: ( click to enlarge )
Attachments
Starting to look like something....
Starting to look like something....
The most work involved cleaning out the excess plastic .  A drill with 38 st bit and standard rough cut file were used.
The most work involved cleaning out the excess plastic . A drill with 38 st bit and standard rough cut file were used.
Resin nut and plate are held on with a neo magnet.
Resin nut and plate are held on with a neo magnet.
The resin is well cast as installing the track adjuster nut illustrates...
The resin is well cast as installing the track adjuster nut illustrates...
Cover drilled and tapped and a grub screw installed for detail...
Cover drilled and tapped and a grub screw installed for detail...
WIP with the track skid and cover filed and epoxied into place...cleanup is underway for the rest.
WIP with the track skid and cover filed and epoxied into place...cleanup is underway for the rest.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Another Monday. It was a relief to return to the Stuart and forget how crazy the World gets at times. Tonight saw the last of the detailing of the idler arms and the priming of the idlers and the arms. After they sit tonight, I'll get the first of several coats of Model Masters excellent Olive Drab on them tomorrow. The primer used was Tamiya for Plastic and Metal. I know people complain about the price but I just cannot fault its performance. Pics: ( click to enlarge )
Attachments
The primer goes on...
The primer goes on...
...and a last bit of detailing on the idler arms.
...and a last bit of detailing on the idler arms.
Adding the weld beads front and back...
Adding the weld beads front and back...
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Hello!? Who decided to make it a Monday again? At any rate, Model Masters did not let me down. Now another major component of the tank is ready for installation once the lower hull detail is finished and it is painted. Pics: ( click to enlarge )
Attachments
Shot showing the back side of one of the idlers including weld beads
Shot showing the back side of one of the idlers including weld beads
A little closer detail...
A little closer detail...
Steel idlers and mounts
Steel idlers and mounts
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mr Painless they look full size and very realistic
Tanks alot.... :wave:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

No kidding. They came out GREAT considering how they started out!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning.
Thank you my Friends. Some additional weathering once installed along with covers for the attachment points will really help as well. The big 'Trick' will be making them actually provide track tension. 21st Century does it ( or tried to do it ) by having the idler and arm move up and down along a curve ( sort of like how the front idler on a Pershing or Walker works just not as complicated_ no road wheel involved ). Their spring is way too stiff to allow this and their contact points are plastic on plastic so they lock up once tightened down. I will use some brass tubing and washers to help out the lock up problem and have to shop around locally to find a slightly less stiff spring so as to allow some movement along that curve for the idler and arm. Thanks again for looking in!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Enough time on this better day to clean up and install the sponson hatch and cover kit from ECA. It sure adds some needed detail right where the track run dips down. Mine are a little far forward but that is due to the stock sponson braces that I did not want to remove. Still looks good. I placed an order with ArmorPax for a set of the metal tool and equipment strap handles. Six of those go on the back of the lower. Pics: ( click to enlarge )
Attachments
I was going to use a magnet on this working hatch then realized that I was thinking small and removed the resin bolt head and drilled and tapped for a brass one.
I was going to use a magnet on this working hatch then realized that I was thinking small and removed the resin bolt head and drilled and tapped for a brass one.
East Coast Armory sponson hatches and covers detail kit.
East Coast Armory sponson hatches and covers detail kit.
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I just watch and learn....I didn't even know there WAS such a thing as a sponson hatch!

Return to “Larger Scale Military”