1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by PainlessWolf »

Got down to the business today of looking at the 21st Century Stuart up close to see what would need modifying or replacing. I'm splitting this build into three parts like the previous StuG. I started with the lower hull tonight. This section has been designed to run and give (generally) good ( if slow ) performance over outdoors terrain while spending as little as possible on the components. The stock tracks are going to Sassgrunt for a project of his. I have a more accurate looking set of T16E1s that he swapped me that were designed for the static version of this tank. They are heavy duty rubber and vinyl and should work as long as I don't run it through boulder fields and piles of broken glass. They need a good spray down with silicone and will get that asap. Having working idler arms. rubber tires on the idlers and slightly modded or new sprockets will help this set do their job a lot better. More tomorrow night. Pictures:
Attachments
A print I want to frame and hang over the completed build.
A print I want to frame and hang over the completed build.
Replacement late war idler still needs a rubber tire and some inserts.  The non working idler arm is just to show size relationship.
Replacement late war idler still needs a rubber tire and some inserts. The non working idler arm is just to show size relationship.
1 6th rubber and vinyl molded T16E1
...Here for the Dawn...
Swamprat33
Lance Corporal

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by Swamprat33 »

Hi painless, While you work on the lower hull, it is probably worth re-profiling the lower - front hull (Transmission Housing) as the profile is way out.

It is very flat & square sided as shown in the first pix.
M5a1-1.PNG
M5a1-2.PNG
M5a1-2.PNG (46.32 KiB) Viewed 10364 times
I plan to re-profile my tranny Housing over the next couple of weeks and will update my thread when done.

Cheers
Tim
1/6 Armortek Panther ausf.G
1/6 Armortek Panzer III ausf.J
1/6 Type 82 Funkwagen
1/6 Sdkfz 250/9
1/6 Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Tim, G'mornin'
You're reading my mind. ;o) I've got the tow hooks and transmissions housings to redo the front of the vehicle. Each section of this tank brings it's own unique 'challenges' ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

HEHEHE. Moving up in scale I see. :) Are the eyes getting worse, or did you clear up some space for the 1/6th. :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Pale! ;o)
It's really good to hear from you! I've had this Stuart in stock form for some 11 years now. ( Where does the time go? ) It got bumped up on the list of tanks to do and re-do when Sassgrunt provided a ton o' upgrade parts in exchange for the RC version tracks and a resin mantlet. The eyes are doing much better with proper scrips for my specs ;o) I'll be back to 1/16 scale next Spring with a Tamiya Tiger and an Imperial Sturmtiger. Stay Tuned!
warm regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Got in from the gym tonight and went to spend a little quiet time with the Stuart. Per Swamprat, I gave the bow and transmission housing a close look. Once the Cullen device was off, there is a definite overhang seen there but it is no where near as curved as on the real tank. I have some kit pieces which will give a lot of detail back to that area but I also see that the front weld on the bow will need to be defined and made deeper. An add on piece made from plasti-stock will be needed. Pics:
Attachments
Nice cast metal tow hooks to replace the Cullen device.
Nice cast metal tow hooks to replace the Cullen device.
Nice cast metal tow hooks to replace the Cullen device..JPG (96.23 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
Plastic kit needed to seal the gap left once the side sand skirting and fenders are removed.
Plastic kit needed to seal the gap left once the side sand skirting and fenders are removed.
Plastic kit needed to seal the gap left once the side sand skirting and fenders are removed..JPG (94.84 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
Transmission housing resin pieces which will build up those areas and add much needed realism.
Transmission housing resin pieces which will build up those areas and add much needed realism.
Transmission housing resin pieces which will build up those areas and add much needed realism..JPG (87.56 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
The existing overhang can be easily seen now.
The existing overhang can be easily seen now.
The existing overhang can be easily seen now..JPG (94.6 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
The piece removes with a lift and a pull and is held on by friction and a U - channel.
The piece removes with a lift and a pull and is held on by friction and a U - channel.
Stock bow with the Cullen device
Stock bow with the Cullen device
...Here for the Dawn...
Swamprat33
Lance Corporal

Post by Swamprat33 »

Hi Painless, You now have a real advantage over me with those Resin & plastic upgrades.
Ive not seen or heard of them before and certainly dont think they are or ever were available in UK.

Would id be possible to draw a template with dimensions from those plastic side pieces.

Ive got some of the Armorpax bits, but that is all thats available here.

Tim
1/6 Type 82 Funkwagen
1/6 Sdkfz 250/9
1/6 Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning.
Sure thing, Tim. ;o) I'll have some free time tonight and will see what I can do. In the meantime, this guy is the one who sold those parts I believe. It might be worth your while to contact him and see if he has any sets left hanging around. http://eastcoastarmory.com/m5.htm
regards,
Painless
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
Swamprat33
Lance Corporal

Post by Swamprat33 »

PainlessWolf wrote: In the meantime, this guy is the one who sold those parts I believe. It might be worth your while to contact him and see if he has any sets left hanging around.
Which bloke do you mean Painless?

Tim
1/6 Type 82 Funkwagen
1/6 Sdkfz 250/9
1/6 Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Tim,
East Coast Armory. I dropped the link in my earlier post.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Larger Scale Military”