1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike,
You gave me the idea and good advice to avoid becoming overly involved with the inner idler arm. This setup will work and will look far more realistic than 21st Centurys single arm setup. I am really looking forward to getting this tank on it's tracks. It will be a benchmark in the progress of the build. Thanks again, Doc!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

I've been working with Shapeways and speaking with ECA to have some smoke diffusers for this tank made up in plastic or resin. Something stiff that I can add the wire mesh to and match the appearance of the original parts. Today was a very good day. High 80s and clear. I had to spend most of it on the road but time was made to stop at a Hobby shop in Colorado Springs. Much needed primer and paint were found and the use of them began as soon as I got home. The primer I used is some that I had and decided to employ given the size of the piece and the smoothing effect required for cut up and sanded sections of the lower. I am pleased with the job it did. It will cure overnight then on to the Olive Drab. Pics: ( click to enlarge )
Attachments
Bolt detail is all there
Bolt detail is all there
Cast areas still  have a roughly textured look
Cast areas still have a roughly textured look
This primer gives a good smooth coverage of cut and filed areas
This primer gives a good smooth coverage of cut and filed areas
Two coats of plastic primer
Two coats of plastic primer
to give a crisp effect with no melting away of details
to give a crisp effect with no melting away of details
equals two of these and some left over...
equals two of these and some left over...
One of these ...
One of these ...
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Great job covering such a large canvas with no flaws. I've yet to try that primer, so it is now on my list of things to buy The smoke dischargers you are looking to purchase.... Can you scratch build them yourself Mr Painless?

How have you progressed in the electronics Front? I noticed Stian had a 1/6 Stuart running a Clark tk60 board....

Is that a test run with this particular piece in mind

Keep up with all the great work!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!
Thank you! Given the size of the pieces, I am having the bodies made up then I will finish them by cutting and adding the metal mesh . I will have to mount them using bolts and nuts for durability. Mr Steinbrunn built his using copper and they are beautiful and fragile. For something on the tank being thrashed around close to the ground, I want to go a different route. That was another builder using a TK-60 to test his build and electronics. I will use a TK-60 as well and use a 12v NiMh running at 5000mah. With the Graupner speed 600 motors, the mfu will be in no danger of a voltage overload. ;o)
regards
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Will you have to solder the motor leads directly to the spots on the tk60 dedicated to larger motors? Or will they plug into the provided standard board locations?

Sorry for the the questions, I'm just very curious
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!,
The Graupners will plug directly into the standard board locations. Doing it this way is a step above having to add twin ESCs. I'll even be able to add this tank to that Flysky radio and run it off of there. A Bonus with being able to apply switches to functions. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Carl!,
The Graupners will plug directly into the standard board locations. Doing it this way is a step above having to add twin ESCs. I'll even be able to add this tank to that Flysky radio and run it off of there. A Bonus with being able to apply switches to functions. ;o)
regards,
Painless
This is most excellent news. Please post pictures of the electronics as you fit them. Will you be using a specific sound set from Stain?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!
Afternoon' Today, I am painting the lower hull. It will have to cure overnight as it took two cans of the Model Masters OD to complete it. Stian will be building an oversized box for the FS8 speaker so there should be some great sound. He will be providing the sound set as well. It has been a productive Sat and Sun. I am very close to putting the lower back on the tracks now.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

A Red Letter Day for this build. The lower hull paint is done and the running gear is back on and the tracks FIT and WORK as I had hoped. Pics: ( click to enlarge )
Attachments
...and most importantly, it all fits....
...and most importantly, it all fits....
Everything looks straight on...
Everything looks straight on...
Finally...Tracks
Finally...Tracks
Putting the running gear back on and checking the build thread for the correct screw sizes
Putting the running gear back on and checking the build thread for the correct screw sizes
Places needing touch ups kept appearing with every change in the type of light used...
Places needing touch ups kept appearing with every change in the type of light used...
Even then I was still touching up odd spots...
Even then I was still touching up odd spots...
Two cans of Model Masters Olive Drab later...
Two cans of Model Masters Olive Drab later...
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Outstanding job Mr Wolf :clap: makes it all worth while when you get to this point!

Return to “Larger Scale Military”