1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by PainlessWolf »

Continued:
Attachments
Done for the day.  I think I will start with the lower since it requires some of the most work and expense.
Done for the day. I think I will start with the lower since it requires some of the most work and expense.
A slab of Triassic redstone  that is home to the Stuart
A slab of Triassic redstone that is home to the Stuart
A slab of Triassic redstone that is home to the Stuart.JPG (99.56 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
Big box for big tank parts storage
Big box for big tank parts storage
A sample of the collected and gifted parts waiting for this build to begin
A sample of the collected and gifted parts waiting for this build to begin
Deck and turret dry fitted alongside some more of the resin pieces from Mike.
Deck and turret dry fitted alongside some more of the resin pieces from Mike.
Mikes turret next to the stock one.  Molded on grousers have been removed, again days of work saved.  Thanks, Mike!!
Mikes turret next to the stock one. Molded on grousers have been removed, again days of work saved. Thanks, Mike!!
A view of the work done to remove the skirts and cut out the correct fender stubs.
A view of the work done to remove the skirts and cut out the correct fender stubs.
...Here for the Dawn...
thestig
Lance Corporal

Post by thestig »

Good evening Painless:

On and off over the past few months I've been working on my Stuart. So far I made bushings out of brass tubing for the road wheels. This made a big improvement on their function.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to remove the wobble in the return rollers. I also want to address the rear idler arm. I've tried using different springs, but haven't been satisfied with the results so far.

If the brackets shown became available I would definitely be interested in buying a set.

Regards.

Frank
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
Got you down for a set once I find a guy with a Scanner and Printer who is willing to run some off. The brass is something I have listed on mine as well. Do you have a build thread up? All of us doing these Stuart builds can only benefit from shared knowledge and resources.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Spent a little time today taking apart and thinking over the Stuart's Bogie assembly. It is exactly the same as the one on the static version so the solid road wheel is a direct swap over. My thoughts on the bogies go in two directions. There are some beautiful resin sets which match the originals minus the working springs. With some work with wound brass strips, springs could be made to to match and work on these resin bogies. However, the site specifically states that their upgrades and add-ons are for static models, not RC. This leads to worries about breakages going over stones, etc. On the other hand, the stock bogies somewhat resemble the real pieces and are complex yet stout little pieces of kit with a working central coil spring. Also, resin detail kits exist made just to dress up the Stuart bogies and idlers and make them more realistic. With detail added and some basic brass collets made up and a lube job, those bogies would look great and function beautifully. So that's where I'm at today, considering the next steps taken for running gear. Also, I joined a 1/6 scale forum ( 6th Army Group ) to pick their brains and gain some insight on the Stuart and what the build requires that I might not see. Pics:

P.S. I have two folks who are interested in a set of the hull braces. If I can get a couple more, I'll ping Woz and see what it would cost to scan and run off 4-6 sets. I'll also have to find the original maker and ensure that it's OK to do so. If anyone one else wants a set, PM me please.
Attachments
Sat back in place.  I'll go visit the hobby shop to find the thin brass tubing required this week.
Sat back in place. I'll go visit the hobby shop to find the thin brass tubing required this week.
Solid wheel covers with grease zerks.  A little sanding is required to have these fit correctly.
Solid wheel covers with grease zerks. A little sanding is required to have these fit correctly.
Solid wheels are direct fit.  There is little plastic to plastic play nor wear yet brass would still benefit the road wheel mounts.
Solid wheels are direct fit. There is little plastic to plastic play nor wear yet brass would still benefit the road wheel mounts.
Complex yet strong.  The spring is in the cup on the center support.
Complex yet strong. The spring is in the cup on the center support.
Four screws hold the bogie in place on the lower hull
Four screws hold the bogie in place on the lower hull
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Still awaiting resin parts to detail and complete the bogie assemblies and outer lower hull. It's a perfect time after the Thanksgiving furor to turn back to the Stuart and get a little peace of mind. I need to make a silicone mold and do a resin pour to make a replacement early\mid production M5 mantlet. That requires some clean up of the 'master' to begin with. Pictures:
Attachments
An hours worth of work produced a much cleaner piece to use.
An hours worth of work produced a much cleaner piece to use.
An hours worth of work produced a much cleaner piece to use..JPG (94.89 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Before I do a pour, I'll get out the Dremel and carefully clean up the back some more
Before I do a pour, I'll get out the Dremel and carefully clean up the back some more
Before I do a pour, I'll get out the dremel and carefully clean up the back some more.JPG (92.99 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
The resin was easy to work with a medium flat file and some detail files.
The resin was easy to work with a medium flat file and some detail files.
The resin was easy to work with a medium flat file and some detail files..JPG (90.28 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
it just needed cleanup before it could be used either on the tank or as a master to make another one.
it just needed cleanup before it could be used either on the tank or as a master to make another one.
Good quality resin and not a bad looking piece at all...
Good quality resin and not a bad looking piece at all...
Good quality resin and not a bad looking piece at all....JPG (96.92 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I'm Guessing this is not going to be finished by Christmas :shifty: ...I hope you get your silicone for the mold...because if there is anything that can be labelled as fun...is casting and watching that fast setting stuff harden :D

Blink and it will be done :haha:

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
Heyas! Yes, I'm getting the silicone and resin this weekend and doing the pour next week. I have a few days off around my birthday and will soak them into this build. ;o) Best thing I can do with spare time lately! Christmas!? This is my Winter build and I'm ahead of the game so far. Not officially Winter yet ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Not Christmas Yet??????????????? Bet you put up decorations...just in time for the 12 day countdown ;) ............ :haha: :haha:
Interesting note though...have you noticed how scarce snow is this year....I've had contact with friends on the East Coast...and they still have Moderate temps with no sign of frost or snow 8O

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

One of the things occupying my time lately while waiting for parts to show up has been finding out the origin of some old parts I have requests to make copies of. I have the early mantlet and the hull fillers and the transmission cover detail pieces. I've been searching and have run across the possibility that at least the mantlet ( maybe the transmission covers and fillers as well ) were sold to a German site called Die Werkstatt who is now defunct or at least out of the scale tank parts business. Their molds and such were bought up by an English concern called Newthorpe Models and a fellow named Lee. The trail stops there and I'm waiting now to hear back from Lee as to what he knows and if it is Ok for me to copy the old parts I have. This is just a heads up to the couple of guys doing Stuarts who expressed an interest in having parts made and sent just for the cost of shipping.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

You're a Scholar and a Gentleman Painless.....not many would go through the trouble of contacting a "Maker"..before copying a part for reproduction...Good one on you buddy :thumbup:

Waiting unfortunately is the curse of this hobby....everyone has too :lolno: ...Me?...I'm waiting on some patience so I can finish those darn Modelkasten tracks :/

ALPHA

Return to “Larger Scale Military”