1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
I am going to do 30 x 30 for 900sq ft. The Stuart will sadly ( or not so much ) be relegated to the other 38 acres. ;o) Would be cool to put one of those new cameras on it and use it for patrol ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

C'mon Mr Painless, time to get your "Stuart back on"!!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon, Herman,
You have pretty good timing, my friend. ;o) The new Tank Room is almost complete. All of the rest of the vehicles were put out last night and now, just some filing and picture hanging will allow me to get back to tanks full time, the Stuart especially. The room needs new blinds and a finial for the ceiling light but enough lamps are hooked up to allow me to have fun again while I do the last physical bits to the space itself. A couple of new Stuart pics:
Attachments
...back to the other three bogies next
...back to the other three bogies next
...back to the other three bogies next.JPG (91.39 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
Stuart corner is open for business again
Stuart corner is open for business again
...Here for the Dawn...
Swamprat33
Lance Corporal

Post by Swamprat33 »

Hey Painless, ive been doing odd bits to the Stuart between stages of other projects.
Have just got a parcel from Armorpax, and due another from ECA any day.
That will give me the bits i need to continue the build.
Having said that, ive still got another seat to make for the co-driver, and then continue detailing the breach.

Anyway, the Stuart will have to wait until July and i need to get my 1/6 Kubel Funkwagen back up and running after an overhaul / refurb. This should have been completed already but i keep adding new things to mod & imporove.

Tim
1/6 Armortek Panther ausf.G
1/6 Armortek Panzer III ausf.J
1/6 Type 82 Funkwagen
1/6 Sdkfz 250/9
1/6 Sdkfz 2 Kettenkrad
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Tim,
I'm glad that you are still out there working on the Beast. Stuff like this, you need chums to keep you at it and give you best of advice. I'm ready to get back to it. I never heard back on the parts so I need to talk to one of our members with a 3D Printer.
regards and thanks,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Went to Cast some pieces for the Stuart build today and discovered that my foam board had vanished in the move. Looked for suitable plastic or metal containers in the kitchen cupboards ( this is a simple one side pour ) but nothing quite gave the space or the flat surface I need. SO, I will be off to the store tomorrow to pick up a new casting basin or some foamboard to make a box up. Contented myself with cleaning up the masters. I want to pour four at once so only two pours will be required to finish up what I need for the Stuart. Pics:
Attachments
Cleaned up and ready to be molded
Cleaned up and ready to be molded
Cleaned up and ready to be molded.JPG (99.36 KiB) Viewed 4746 times
Basic tools to work with resin.  Not seen are the nitrile gloves and mask to prevent powder inhalation from sanding
Basic tools to work with resin. Not seen are the nitrile gloves and mask to prevent powder inhalation from sanding
Originals needed a lot of cleanup
Originals needed a lot of cleanup
Originals needed a lot of cleanup.JPG (99.72 KiB) Viewed 4746 times
...Here for the Dawn...
Rebel 1
Recruit

Post by Rebel 1 »

Hi Painless,
You greeted me this morning after I joined the group. I have looked through some of the builds here from time to time and seeing your M5 build was the deciding factor of joining this group. I'm a member of a few other groups including the M5 Stuart Battalion Yahoo group.

I wish I was interested in this tank when the resin mantle and a few other items were still in production. I'm stuck using the stock kit part on my build. Everyone puts their own spin on their M5 builds. I chose to add an airsoft gun form a 1/16th HL M41 parts tank I have. I'm also using servos for recoil and gun elevation. I'm going to use a slip ring so it will also be a 360 degree and beyond rotating turret using a modified servo. My M5 build is on RC Groups tank page. I know you're bust with the builds you're currently working on, but here's a link if you want to check out what I've done so far. I also plan to add ball bearings to the road wheels and idler wheels.

Since my M5 will be sold when I finish with it I'm not showing all the details of the build. If I sell this one I have plans to build and sell a couple more of them. My goal is to be able to keep one for myself. I recently purchased a Dragon 1/6 M4 Sherman kit from E-bay. Getting into 1/6 scale with the M5 will be a great help when I RC the Sherman.

I'm following this build as well as the Tiger 1 you're building for your friend. Keep up the great work!!! ;D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2628006
Just give me something to shoot at!!! ;D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Rebel,
Thank you for the watches! As far as great Stuart builds go, check out my friend, Swamprat's build. He is adding an almost complete interior to his, gun trunnions and all. It really showcases how much unused space there is inside the 1/6 scale tanks. The Dragon kit for the Sherman is a great one and with work ( including a set of altered tracks ) can be made into a sweet RC tank. John, the fellow from East Coast Armory is a friend of mine ( long distance ) and has worked up a Dragon Sherman and has video how-to's on the process. Worth a look for sure!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

...and then there were two!...Five + hours last night working on one 1/6th scale bogie for the Stuart. It's been 4 months since I built one last. I had one completed bogie to remind me what I had done so as to keep the rest the same. Had not lost any of my parts or hardware during the move. All of the time goes into careful dremel-ing and resin work to clean up parts. ;o) I expect that once I am done with the current 1/16 scale Tiger and the next couple of builds, the Stuart might be ready for paint then. *chuckles* Pic:
Attachments
Two more to go...
Two more to go...
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Epic results take epic dedication Mr Painless, good to see you are continuing the march on this.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Larger Scale Military”