1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
I don't think that the tracks I will be using would stand up to that kind of horseplay. It is very impressive and I did consider a gas powered engine briefly before I went with electric. I'm going to use new Graupner Speed 600s and an IBU2.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Alpha,
I don't think that the tracks I will be using would stand up to that kind of horseplay. It is very impressive and I did consider a gas powered engine briefly before I went with electric. I'm going to use new Graupner Speed 600s and an IBU2.
regards,
Painless
Have no idea about anything 1/6th Painless...so I wouldn't know the performance of those motors...Hope they give you the performance you are looking for... :D

Good Luck...and Happy HolidaysImage

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
Those motors are 5 pole and 12 volt but will work well with the reduced output from the IBU2 ( 8.5 volts or summat ) Got around to the Home Despot today and found the bolts I need to detail the bogies, some of them anyway. These will be secured with a magnet to the screw caps that hold the bogies in place. Easily removed for maint. Picture:
Attachments
one quarter by three fourths....the two extras are for spares
one quarter by three fourths....the two extras are for spares
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

How are the gearboxes in these Stuarts Painless.....to me it really doesn't matter on the motor...it's what is transferred to the Sprocket ;)

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Alpha,
The gearboxes are partially enclosed and are white metal gears with the exception of the gear contacting the sprocket spindle. That one is a good quality white plastic and seems pretty stout. There were a lot of horror stories about the running gear on this tank from back around it's original time of inception but they mostly concerned the sprocket shaft breaking. The fix back then was to reinforce with a couple of wire ties but I think I am going to use a brass tube. The plastic gear was recreated somewhere in metal and I think I am going to look up a couple of those for if and when I have problems with the original. As far as speed goes, the gearbox is capable of twice the speed attained by using the original motors. That info came from this link and the fellow's lengthy experience with the Stuart in 1/6. http://www.customrcmodels.com/M5Stuart/
regards and Happiest of Holidays!
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning, Alpha,
The gearboxes are partially enclosed and are white metal gears with the exception of the gear contacting the sprocket spindle. That one is a good quality white plastic and seems pretty stout. There were a lot of horror stories about the running gear on this tank from back around it's original time of inception but they mostly concerned the sprocket shaft breaking. The fix back then was to reinforce with a couple of wire ties but I think I am going to use a brass tube. The plastic gear was recreated somewhere in metal and I think I am going to look up a couple of those for if and when I have problems with the original. As far as speed goes, the gearbox is capable of twice the speed attained by using the original motors. That info came from this link and the fellow's lengthy experience with the Stuart in 1/6. http://www.customrcmodels.com/M5Stuart/
regards and Happiest of Holidays!
Painless
Nice link Painless :thumbup: ...did wonder about those gearboxes...have seen some on EBAY ...have to be honest ...they didn't look all that great in the photos there...could be they were just worn out already....With that said though...saw a bunch of nice full metal encased gearboxes ...if the stock ones give you any problems ...you might want to search under robotics....wide selection as well as price range....If you wonder why I was looking for stuff there...it was when I was looking for some mechanics to RC a 1/35th Maus ;)

ALPHA
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

How is the transition to the "big-Iron" Mr Painless ?
looks like a lot more room to move but limited in parts options ?
Youre doing a good job on it by the looks, but Im sure its not as easy as you make it seem eh !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
Merry Christmas down there! The Stuart is coming along slowly but surely. There is an issue with getting permission for old parts reproduction for some other folks here that have Stuarts they want to work on but that isn't holding up work on the lower hull so far. Everything is so big and can take a lot of detail so I am compartmentalizing the work. I am doing all the bogies and running gear now and it is good stuff. ;o) The Holidays have my attention scattered so that any time that I get to work on the tank is good time. It has a name now, 'Grifter, I'll do stencils for it when the time for paint comes along. It will be a fantasy unit but as correct as I can make it and still have it run. Once again, the very best wishes for you and yours, Herman! ;o)
Happy Holidays,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

After some serious health issues dealt with ( *grumble, grumble* don't like going to the Docs ) I was able to stand at the counter last night and continue work on the Stuart. The resin I am using from ECA Armory is generally good to great quality but there are a few pieces where the resin leaked across the bottom of the mold and required a lot of cleanup. I had to get new brushes for the Dremel tool and maint.it before addressing the flow issue. For those of you awaiting copies of some of the rare parts I have for the Stuart, no word back from the fellow in England yet as to whether or not I can make them for you. I'm keeping an ear to the Ground and will let you know as soon as I hear something, good or bad. Anyway, Pics:
Attachments
Three more to do then I can prime and paint them.
Three more to do then I can prime and paint them.
Stock vs rebuilt
Stock vs rebuilt
ECArmory parts cleaned up and epoxied into place.  I will use small screws to make sure that the track skid stays in place.
ECArmory parts cleaned up and epoxied into place. I will use small screws to make sure that the track skid stays in place.
ECArmory parts cleaned up and epoxied into place. I will use small screws to make sure that the track skid stays in place..JPG (98.62 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
Stock Bogie top angle
Stock Bogie top angle
Stock Bogie top angle.JPG (98.41 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
One cover dry fitted
One cover dry fitted
Starting out
Starting out
Replacement brushes for the Dremel
Replacement brushes for the Dremel
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Spent a quiet ( well not really with the Dremel ) hour cleaning up the back of the two road wheels on this bogie and installing the covers on them. During the process, I mulled over the idea of adding the interior struts on the bogie as well. Space is fairly tight but with enough sanding on the spares I have or some thinner plastistrux cutouts. it might work. Something for tomorrow. Pics:
Attachments
Next, working on adding the interior supports like the real bogie uses.  Space is tight so time for some plastistrux.
Next, working on adding the interior supports like the real bogie uses. Space is tight so time for some plastistrux.
Next, working on adding the interior supports like the real bogie uses. Space is tight so time for some plastistrux..JPG (91.17 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
Shot from the rear of the bogie
Shot from the rear of the bogie
Cleaned up the ribs on the back of the road wheels
Cleaned up the ribs on the back of the road wheels
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Larger Scale Military”