1/4 scale Tiger 1 (as a driving model)

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1/4 scale Tiger 1 (as a driving model)

Post by edpanzer »

Looking good firebird!!!
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

Thanks edpanzer, I've put in a lot more hours now and its very slow progress but the next one will be easier as I'll know what I need instead of making it up as I go along, the motors I had would not fit but I'd bought another Wheel chair a couple of weeks ago and they fitted better and are more powerfull with larger bearings in so that worked out well.

I'm making the Chassis at the moment which would seem easy until you start thinking about being able to replace a motor or even fit the chassis in the hull and then be able to fit the motor in after as the axles are sticking out of the sides! so the whole motor mount has to be strong but able to be removed, similar thing with the back axle it needs to be adjustable and strong but able to be replaced if damaged.

Then should I attempt to water proof all the axles etc, or just fit a pump too empty it or just holes with simple flapper valves to let the water out "if any gets in"

So as you can see my tiny brain is working overtime :crazy:

I will put up more pictures but I'm still having problems with loading them up too my PC
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Where do you expect the grand kids to be running them that they will get in water so deep it will get inside the hull? I would think just a simple drain plug you could un-screw at the rear of the tank so if any water does get in there you could drain it out.
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

Well there's a long very rough track or lane down to were they live and the last part is about 500 meters with no traffic but in the winter the puddles are about 8 inches deep, also there are large areas of mine waste and a small woods, I have my workshop area and yard which is also very rough with large puddles, and my landlord told me I can use a small piece of ground that I can alter with a digger to give them some more interesting terrain too drive on, so hopefully the tank is a success.

Could not get the right sized metal today for the axles so I've made some bushes and I can now fit some O-rings on each axle so that should keep most of it out.
OdysseySlipways
Recruit

Post by OdysseySlipways »

any updates?

as to the tracks and some other engineering, look on youtube for a guy building 1:2.5 scale tanks, he's made a Sherman and was working on a Tiger 1, you may like the way he makes his wheels and tracks.

for tracks if you do any welding, maybe make some aluminum tracks by welding some sections of tubes to aluminum plates and then some small, aluminum bars to the bottom of the tracks for traction.

as to road wheels, what about large pulleys that accept a belt? i have seen some smaller ones used and they don't look too bad.

as to water getting in the tank, just keep in mind "can the tank drive back out of what ever you drive it into" (puddles/mud included) but i wouldn't go overboard or you may go mad in the process.

have you thought of what you are going to do for suspension or the idler/tension wheel?

where are you located?
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

Hi OdysseySlipways OK this has eaten up so much time it is driving me mad! even just the thinking time, 3 days thinking one day trying too build a part and then going down a completely different root.
I have made about half the wheels which are now out of steel but the first ones were cast out of fibre glass.. which were light and looked good but it took a week to make the first pair so I went to 2.5mm steel disc's turned out on a lathe a then banded them with a 3mm x 20mm steel strap welded around them with a 35 mm tube (with 32mm x 10mm x 11mm bearings) too mount them on in pairs (going for 32 wheels not 48) the disc'c are dished about 13mm using a hydraulic press and doing a dozen at a time too the same pressure so the look sort of equal, but they do need to be trued up for straightness and roundness on the lathe after welding because they distort a lot (these may need extra spokes welded inside yet for more strength for when turning on the spot)

The tracks are going to be made of 50mm by 3mm plats welded too 4, 10 foot lengths of industrial chain with 1" 1/4" links, being driven by 5/8 sprockets, so the chain links are double the pitch which means there is a gap or 2 teeth to each link leaving a little room for any debris that will probably go in there, but I could also cut out some teeth, like every other pair or slots in the sprockets and holes in the plates if its a big problem and I'm expecting a few!
I know this wont look anything like scale but I'm having to sacrifice looks for functionality on this.

My main worry is WIEGHT as its very very heavy now plus its cost a fortune, so I'm hoping after all this work it will power its self with a small child in it.
I'm thinking that by the end of next week I should of made and fitted the rest of the wheels and tracks, the axles are made and fitted to the chassis they look like torsion bars but will need springs or rubber to make them work.

I'm not going too worry about the waterproofing any more, keep it simple. and if it goes in it should come out again, its not a boat and probably would not float anyway as it will probably end up being 200kgs.

I'll post some pictures again soon.

Happy new year to all :)
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

Oh and I'm in Penzance Cornwall :)
OdysseySlipways
Recruit

okay.

but did you get a chance to look for that guy on youtube like i was saying? in case you have another change of mind (i have that issue too, too much time to think about things)

you might also want to take a look at www.rctankcombat.com as it's base around 1:6 scale and they have several different ways they make their tracks and wheels.

do a google serach for 1:2.5scale tank and you should find the guy i am talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUbZhsxcWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xICesaqfiIo
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

Yep, Thanks I've seen him and a lot of the stuff on Youtube, But I havn't looked at that Forum so I'll do that later, Cheer's
OdysseySlipways
Recruit

ya, he has some interesting ideas as to the tracks and road wheels. you could have even have gotten away with some plywood wheels with bearings

Return to “Larger Scale Military”