1/4 scale Tiger 1 (as a driving model)

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Firebird
Recruit

1/4 scale Tiger 1 (as a driving model)

Post by Firebird »

OK I've started making this Tiger tank for the Grandchildren to drive around in, the hull and Turret will be in Glass-fibre, so that I can make them one each, I have so far made a basic Turret shape mould and I will add more detail and the main gun mount next and then add those as I make them.
And I have also made the mould for the hull, which I need to decide where to cut so that I can empty it and start making the basic Hull top and bottom, and then add more detail as with the Turret, I will be getting some colour pigment to go in the Gel coat for the next casting, as I don't like the white on the Turret I cast first time to see how it came out.

The turret will be motorized but I've not decided on the gun elevation yet?

I'm thinking on different design's for the suspension, I,d like to use air because its easy to adjust, but I may just use spring or rubber.

The wheels are my next big problem, there are a lot of them and they will be slow to make :(

Drive motors are for a Wheel Chair on 24v

I've tried to include pictures but they are too big so I need a child to show me how! and then I'll put up some pictures.

OK I think I've got it :)
Attachments
Base Hull mould (before cutting the top off)
Base Hull mould (before cutting the top off)
Underside of basic turret.
Underside of basic turret.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: 1/4 scale Tiger 1 (as a driving model)

Post by jackalope »

1/4 scale? Try go kart wheels or scooter wheels you may find some close to what you need. I would think a late model Tiger with metal road wheels would be easier to do then the rubber rimmed early or mid Tigers. Any thoughts as to the tracks yet? I would think they'd be the biggest hurdle. Maybe Bobcat tracks would work? I realize they'd be all rubber but this way the kiddies shouldn't hurt the sidewalks or grass too badly. But you look like you are off to a good start! Keep the pics coming. :thumbup:
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

A couple more pictures :)
Attachments
hull 5.JPG
hull 4.JPG
hull 3.JPG
hull 2.JPG
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

Hi Jackalop, yes the Track are something I have spent a long time thinking about but I've for 20/60 Conection Chain (easier too get in the USA) and then metal plates on that I've already got some and the drive sprokets, I've got 5/8 toothed sprokets and the chain fit's perfectly just on every other tooth, that was the cheapest way to get them rather than 1.1/4" toothed which would probably of had to be made.
I've tried to find some thin metal wheels to suit but the size is the problem (about 8") like a lot of pulley wheel but thats expensive, I have a plan though unless somthing else comes up.

Hey as your state side did you recognise my white car or the black one in the other picture :)
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

If I had to guess by looking at the white one 67 or 68 (?) Firebird 400 I'm gonna say you're building a 79 to 81 Firebird right? I say 79 to 81 cause of the rear window rounding onto the 1/4's and it having the large T-Tops. I myself have had a LONG list of Pontiac's over the years, 72 RAIV T/A, 73 Formula 400, 75 SD455 T/A, 79 Bandit T/A 4speed car, 79 10th anni T/A, 80 Turbo T/A, 89 Turbo T/A, 2000 WS6, 2002 WS6, and I rounded it all off with my current car a 2009.5 G8 GT. Also built a few hot rod Firebirds out of bit from all sorts of cars but I haven't done anything like that in YEARS! 2 kids in college means no money for anything! Not to mention paying for their cars, insurance, and cell phones I'm lucky I can feed myself!

So what years do we have? I'm gonna say 68 for the white one which if it is would be my FAVORITE 1st gen F-body. The black one maybe a Bandit car? But the years have to be what I mentioned above cause of the T-Tops. Am I right?
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

Yep your spot on :) a 68 400 and a 80 x code but it now has a 71 402 bbc from a Chevelle in it because those turbo motor are not good, no T-tops though, I would not have another T-top they make the car too flexible and leak in our climate, also noisy at speed and if you put any real power though it the screens crack :(

Some nice cars in that list that you have owned the Bull noses are my favourite but I've only had a couple as they rust more than the rest (no Zinc plating on the underside) and I don't like rust, it's very expensive! my wife and I have owned over 70 American cars in 36 years over 20 have been F-bodies and we have 4 now, here are a Couple of pictures just of the ones we have now I don't want too fill up the forum I'll be in trouble :)
Attachments
sc23.JPG
sc12.JPG
sc5.JPG
Fb s3.JPG
fb12a.JPG
GetAttachment (9).jpg
GetAttachment (9).jpg (10.83 KiB) Viewed 6288 times
FB side view.jpg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Fill away mate, no trouble from me. Its your thread & I am a sucker for cars !
I heard an unfortunate anagram for PONTIAC on my last trip to the U.S.
Not suitable for here, but I was in a very "southern" state if that clarifies things.
You got my vote for home built tanks and V8 cars mate, go your hardest :thumbup: :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

My 80 turbo T/A had a lot of serious work done to it. Mine was built in Oct 79 and was 1 of the first 131 turbo cars. It was carousel red with red and parchment interior, very rare and that made it very hard to restore. When I had the engine rebuilt I had a custom billet steel crank turned for it and the turbo was a t3/t4 hybrid, ran 100 octane cam 2 in it and pushed 28 lbs of boost into it. It wasn't much off the line but on the highway I'd run down 911's. Once smoked a 2000 Mustang Cobra on the highway.

All of my Pontiacs always stayed Pontiac powered, those engines are awesome!
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

That is a rare Colour combo, mostly Black or White over here, be down a similar root with those motors and they eat exhaust manifolds, still don't like them, they don't do what they wanted them to do which was "economy" and Turbo's belong on Diesel's "the Devil's Fuel" :haha:

OK thanks Herman Bix :thumbup:
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

My current cars the only one that you need!!!
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC

Return to “Larger Scale Military”