1:2 scale drivable KV-2 (Cancelled) :(

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Giganaut
Corporal

1:2 scale drivable KV-2 (Cancelled) :(

Post by Giganaut »

yes, you read that right. a drivable 1/2 scale model of a KV-2 and it's as large as my mazda protege

i brought up this one for my large scale project. here is just the schematics and the 3d model reperesentation on how i am going to build my KV-2. it wont be 100% accurate due to material limitations.

no budget have been setteled yet on how the project will cost due to still surveying the parts and materials.

this one is the KV-2 that i have made in AutoCAD 2012.

this is the human size reference compared to the 50% scale KV-2 also human is set to my height. seeing how will i fit in the vehicle.

this will be the steel frame reinforcements to be applied to the 12mm plywood panel. also due note that how the frame look will change overtime

in proposal, instead of being powered by a honda GX390, i found an alternative engine. the Yamaha MZ360/R. the transmission layout will be changed after i can find where to put the driving belt tensioner correctly and effectively and also ergonomically easy to directly link to the driver's control levers.

the type of suspension used here are with conventional motorcycle coils. i had 2 options of using the yamaha's ATV coils mounted internally
or directly mount the "kapcai" coils above the wheel and use the DOG blocks as it's housing, cheaper and easier to install too but not accurate.

the type of tracks i be using will be comprising of conveyor belting reinforced with metal tubes as the grousers. will change after researching on using door hinges and more blocks
Last edited by Giganaut on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
IJA Type 5 heavy 160ton (to be 3d printed)
FCM F1 (awaiting electronics)
Jagdpanzer E-100 (3D printing in progress)
trackmech81
Lance Corporal

Re: 1:2 scale drivable KV-2

Post by trackmech81 »

Would it not be easier and more control to use the hydraulic pump and duel motors from a zero turn lawn mower? Then you wouldn't have to fuss with transmissions or belts. You could find one with a bad engine for cheap and save a lot of time, plus the hydraulic would be strong.
Giganaut
Corporal

Post by Giganaut »

trackmech81 wrote:Would it not be easier and more control to use the hydraulic pump and duel motors from a zero turn lawn mower? Then you wouldn't have to fuss with transmissions or belts. You could find one with a bad engine for cheap and save a lot of time, plus the hydraulic would be strong.

thats actually a good idea, but as i said earlier, limitations of materials :C and as far as i know. i dont see anyone using zero turn lawn mowers D: here... also with the Mantra MkIV transmission is easily upgradable for durability by adding bike chains to the belt and and more beefy cogs n pulleys.

another option is to use electrical motors
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

Some time ago a guy made his son a Sherman tank and used the motors and controller from an electric wheel chair
Giganaut
Corporal

Post by Giganaut »

how big was it?

but for my scale since its as big as my car... i think i'll be experimenting with the types of gearboxes that i can find, also to add a reduction gearbox to the engine to increase my torque value. and i'd be focusing on strength to get it moving rather than speed

so many possiblities i can choose from :D i feel like a little boy in a candy store hehehehhee
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Giganaut,
If you actually build this thing, you will be my hero. *chuckles* Keep on tanking!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Giganaut
Corporal

Post by Giganaut »

one question to all, where do i get casting sand/greensand for aluminium pouring?
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
Giganaut
Corporal

Post by Giganaut »

proposing to increase track rigity by adding door hinges between the grousers
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
Giganaut
Corporal

Post by Giganaut »

did more work. turret components, viewport screens, turret traverse crank, gonna work on the gun elevator mechanism and added ventilation.

Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther
Giganaut
Corporal

Post by Giganaut »

got a question to all of you about electrical motors.

since i am thinking of switching from mechanical energy to power the tank with the Mantra Mk.IV transmission system to a Petrol Electric system by using a portable generator to power up the electrical system and the electrical transmissions.

how much power would i need to move a 1:2 scale KV-2 given the choice of providing a 3:1 - 6:1 reduction gearbox ratio.
Heng Long tanks:
KV-1E
KV-2 MT-1&2
M41
King tiger
Jagdpanther

Return to “Larger Scale Military”