Leaf Spring Suspension

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Re: Leaf Spring Suspension

Post by rolling-thunder »

I started making the top and longest leaf spring. The first one was ok so I thought i'd better make another for testing purposes. The Spring on the left is less than perfect but it doesn't matter. I heated it to cherry red and then quenched it in cold water. I'll test the spring in it at some point but at least I now have one Spring I can show someone to get it made?
Attachments
45266157_10217505654011609_9125200526261092352_n.jpg
45266157_10217505654011609_9125200526261092352_n.jpg (83.5 KiB) Viewed 4258 times
I am the Law!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I think I was taught that if you want to retain the spring in steel after it has been heated that it should be cooled in oil not water,
But what do I know :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

A simple case of what i had to hand. The water transfers heat faster and has more of a chance of fracturing heated metal. Oil cools at a slower rate and gives a nice finish. As this piece is more of a template, less importance is given to the finish.
I am the Law!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Cooking oil also works as an alternative to industrial oil. Plus the bonus of not stinking as bad !
Mr gunner is correct when saying keep the object moving thru the cooling medium to avoid gasses expanding and causeing uneven quenching. Slow movement is best.
Have you tried hacksaw blades ?
They have a wide range of tempers and a convenient hole in each end.
The tooth profile can be ground off.
Also power hacksaw blades. I’m sure most engineers shops have worn out ones if you ask them to keep them for you.
New ones are always the preference but can be expensive.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Thank you Herman. Water is cheaper ;)

Personally, if you have any way of grinding broken hacksaw or machine saw blades, they make fantastic scrapers, knife blades, carving tools etc.

Best head gasket scraper i ever had is a big power saw blade with a lump of cork and loads of tape on one end !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Thank you Herman. Water is cheaper ;)

Personally, if you have any way of grinding broken hacksaw or machine saw blades, they make fantastic scrapers, knife blades, carving tools etc.
I'd never thought to go to an engineering firm and ask for worn out blades. At least that is an option if they can't get 1mm spring steel.
I am the Law!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I would look at hand hacksaw blades of the very flexible grade. NOT the blue ones.
Orange or red but you can find bi-metal versions that have a different make up along the tooth edge.
I have an orange blade in a handsaw that can easily bend and return straight.
Has a 4mm hole in each end.
Might be a tad narrow though at 1/2" or 12.7mm so could be the quest continues.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

I have been looking at Bow Saw Blades but I don't really have the ability to machine anything. I really need a work shop, I have most of the tools I need already but I think i'll probably get in touch with some local engineering firms as i'm going to need the swing arms manufacturing.
I am the Law!
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

I have been wondering the same thing about the springs for suspension. Then yesterday I got a FOA newsletter email and they are making some for it.Image
Looks good, they have a couple of kits available I just may have to pick one up.
I saw your build post and think the Spyker motor mounts are the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Markocaster wrote:I have been wondering the same thing about the springs for suspension. Then yesterday I got a FOA newsletter email and they are making some for it.Image
Looks good, they have a couple of kits available I just may have to pick one up.
I saw your build post and think the Spyker motor mounts are the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you also notice they are going to make a metal tub to reinforce the lower hull? Their Sherman tub is about $109, so worth the cost.
I am the Law!

Return to “Larger Scale Military”