1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!
Yes it does, my Friend, yes it does. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

WOW ! It’s looking great! Super work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

It's nice to see it sitting on the tracks again! All the hard work you put into modifying the bogies, road wheels, and idlers makes SUCH a difference to every other Stuart you see out there. It really is coming out to be a reference for other builders to use as a guidepost.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning!
Markocaster, thank you, Sir. Mike! Thank you again, Doc. ;o) A tiny bit of detail work left on the lower ( tow shackles and some rubber plugs for the screw ports in the idler mounts ) then I drop into fitting up the exhaust vents and start ordering all of the electronics.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Better than the old one idler arm approach
Better than the old one idler arm approach
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Speaking of Exhaust Deflectorsfor the Stuart. I've been working with a fellow off of Shapeways ( providing dimensions and examples of what the exhaust covers should look like ) and he built a 3D file for them and is ready to print. Cost is very reasonable considering what building these in metal or styrene would be in terms of time spent. They come without the wire covers since the 1/4 and 1/8 size wire mesh needed is available for a few dollars on EBay. So if you are looking to save a little time on your mid to late war 1/6 Stuart, go check these out.
URL: https://www.shapeways.com/product/MVD59 ... areProduct ...and here is the wire mesh: https://www.ebay.com/p/Estate-AMACO-Wir ... 0005.m1851
regards,
Painless

P.S. Before I forget, John from East Coast Armory is also going to come out here very soon with a set of these Exhaust Deflectors in cast resin ( I believe it is resin ) His work is excellent so there you go guys, Options!
...Here for the Dawn...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Sorry Painless, but if you think that's a reasonable price the only question I have is ... What are you boys smokin' out there in the Rockies, cuz I'd sure like to get some! @)

Seriously, though, I guess I'll just never understand how people can keep using shapeways. In my humble opinion, they're a bunch of crooks. Their mark-up must be well over 1,000%. I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again ... There's a difference between making a fair profit and rippin' people off. It actually makes me mad to see great guys like you, Painless, getting gouged that way.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning Max!
I have used this fellow before for small detail parts for Crazy Joes M36-B1 Build. His work is as clean as 3D printing can get. I know these Deflectors will come out looking grand!. Yeah, 130.00 is a bit ( cost of a Heng Long Tiger ) perhaps but I am factoring in the time spent to build these in 3D. I did this sort of work back around the turn of the Century and it can get pretty grueling. Also, unlike cute figurines and simple toys, the demand for 1/6 scale WWII Mid to Late War Stuart tank Exhaust Deflector sets is going to be plenty small. I guess that I am just happy that someone was willing to put in the time to make something rare as hens teeth available for a build. Same goes for John at ECA. The work required to cast all of the stuff that he does to make his inventory up in resin or metal is brain boggling to me. I may seem ignorant or befuddled at times but the work required and the parts received are worth it to me. ;o) Thumbs up, Doc. Thanks for looking out for me and others here on the Forum. That is always appreciated too.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

All I can say is that one day I'll learn to design my own parts and then we'll have a better option. Of course, just the printing can get frustrating sometimes. Right this minute I'm printing an M47 turret for a friend, and it's really giving me fits.

I love what you're doing with the Stuart, it just pains me that I still can't design stuff to save us all a ton of loot. Shapeways is right up there on my crap list with lawyers and insurance companies! Just wait until I achieve World Domination. The sharks with the laser beams on their heads are gonna have a lot of work to do!! :crazy:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Aljones34
Private

Post by Aljones34 »

They will make a great addition to the model but at the price they are charging I think I’ll have a go at scratch building at sometime down the road. With the the standard of your build they will look great with a exhaust smoke discharge from them. It would have been idle for a half set only having the lower set.
Great work can’t wait to see the fitted.
Aljones34
Private

Post by Aljones34 »

Morning from the UK, any updates on the Stuart? Not got much further with mine except collecting parts. Decided to model it on a British one 3RTR, 11 Armoured Division.
Attachments
3RTR on German autobahn
3RTR on German autobahn
F7E3F431-0567-4763-A469-D4AEAD09C89C.jpeg (60.43 KiB) Viewed 3490 times

Return to “Larger Scale Military”