1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by rolling-thunder »

The Turret isn't connected at the moment while i'm going through the assesment process of figuring out what parts need buying. Only one problem so far, it's twin stick drive. I don't know if it is possible but i want to try and get the tank to drive like a Heng Long tank using one stick and turret operation on the other stick.
I am the Law!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
Still working this build. I'm currently cleaning up the lower hull and deciding how 2 to do the idlers, ie. go Steinbrunn crazy and chop up the lower hull or keep some solidity to the idlers and detail them and the arms and make the springs actually work on them. I have located and bought a cheap and easy way to fill the hollows on the return rollers and am now looking for rubber washers to fill the slot around the center. More fun soon.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon! Still looking for washers but some other things for the build are trickling in. Received my Invoice from Armor Pax today for some more lower hull goodies. Things are starting to happen again. Pics:
Attachments
some 400 miniature brass hex heads of differing sizes for detail of the Stuart.
some 400 miniature brass hex heads of differing sizes for detail of the Stuart.
vintage nut drivers
vintage nut drivers
Happy sellers of...
Happy sellers of...
One Sixth scale goodies from the evil Bay
One Sixth scale goodies from the evil Bay
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
I have a couple of bags from differing sources watched on EBay, just checking local sources first as I do not need 100, just 24. These would be 1.25" diameter x .16" thickness. Four per return roller will seal the gap in the roller made for the RC type track. I could use thin brass tubing or tin sheeting on the outside surface of the roller and may do that if I cannot locate the washers locally.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening again,
The interior shaft diameter is .63 of an inch. Using another ruler, the outer diameter of the roller is a hair under 1.25.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Evening over there,
I appreciate the assist. Do not put yourself out on my behalf, please. It is a weird size and like as not I will end up modifying some or just covering the outside of the roller with a sheath of brass or tin. We'll see. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
The Look-See is appreciated. Many thanks!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Sounds like a job for a 3D printer...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon. The local hardware store had the basic solution to my return rollers issue. Pics:
Attachments
A filling primer and a couple of coats of Olive Drab should produce good results.
A filling primer and a couple of coats of Olive Drab should produce good results.
Washers cut from the dense foam should act as the narrow gap fillers I have been searching for.
Washers cut from the dense foam should act as the narrow gap fillers I have been searching for.
A cheap and cheerful solution
A cheap and cheerful solution
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I like the vintage nut drivers very much, Painless. :) Having just the right tools at the right time, in the right place, really gees up the serotonin levels in the average male, I'd argue. In fact, it's really quite a comforting feeling.
Having to improvise can certainly be educational; but there's nothing that beats the right equipment. My £10 Tamiya exacto style knife is worth its weight in gold, for example.
Lately, as my tool cloakroom begins to burst at the seams with with recent 'must have' acquisitions, finding the right tool can take time. One day, I'll relieve the congestion and frustration by building a workshop in my garden. Then I'll have all my tools neatly organised and arrayed...almost like an orchestra :D
That way, I might also avoid duplicating them so often :haha: These days, I have those "I could have sworn I'd bought a 2mm nut driver" type moments. Eventually, I discover that I now have three...Ah, but I love them all equally :haha:
I enjoy your deliveries vicariously!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”