1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: 1/6 1943 Stuart M5

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very nice work there Mr Painless
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning!
Gentlemen, I should have enough of the Tamiya primer to get these bogies done today. The Model Masters Olive Drab will probably take another can. I got a compressor for my airbrush this Xmas past so I need to start using it too. On a 1/6 scale piece of armor, it will work well on detail and weathering.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Afternoon, Doc,
More Tamiya primer and more Olive Drab bought the other night. I am working today on priming and painting the bogies and road wheels. Each assembly is roughly the size of a 1/35 scale model so it will run into tomorrow. Another winter storm is bearing down on Colorado so I must be careful to avoid filling up the Office with fumes. *chuckles* Onward, we go. Pics: ( annnnnd I ran out of flat black in the rattle can tonight *laughs* I'll pick some up tomorrow hopefully if the storm allows. I had enough to complete one assembly. I was going to use the bumper coat but it dries unevenly so that is a no go. I am brushing the 'rubber' tires by hand. )
Attachments
The difference in green hue  between the Model Masters and the molded 21st Century plastic is very striking.
The difference in green hue between the Model Masters and the molded 21st Century plastic is very striking.
One bogie assembly is complete
One bogie assembly is complete
Three coats of the Model Masters Flat Black does the trick
Three coats of the Model Masters Flat Black does the trick
Bumper Coat is a No-Go
Bumper Coat is a No-Go
Primer in progress
Primer in progress
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Evenin' all. Super storm here all day so with melt off starting tomorrow ( nor so much snow as ice ), I should be able to make it back to the hobby shop in Pueblo on Wednesday. I already knew but am beginning to realize just how much paint and primer this Beauty is going to take. Here is a pic of the weather starting up this morning.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Snowing in bands at 8 degrees F
Snowing in bands at 8 degrees F
...Here for the Dawn...
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Post by rolling-thunder »

I'm subscribed to this thread. Fingers crossed i will be getting myself an M5 Stuart within a fortnight. Looking at the sellers pictures there is very little to be done to the Tank i'm buying. I'm quite excited about it and i'm still working on my Panzer II.
I am the Law!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Rolling-Thunder! Thank you for the follow! Congratulations on the Stuart. Look your tank over carefully and you may yet find details that you would like to add. That is one of the bonuses of large scale armor... Today saw another assembly disassembled, primered and painted. After it dries overnight, I'll detail paint it like the other and put everything back together. Whee! The ongoing fun. I added a detail bracket to the track skids facing surface to help hold them in place securely when the track is dragging over them. It may not be canon but better a few sniffs of disapproval than broken parts. This tank will be a runner.
Pics:
Attachments
Keeping the goal tank close at hand
Keeping the goal tank close at hand
Drying time, ENGAGE!
Drying time, ENGAGE!
You guessed it, more Tamiya primer
You guessed it, more Tamiya primer
This is a tool that repeat rattle can users will find really useful.
This is a tool that repeat rattle can users will find really useful.
It is supposed to cure flat in 24 hours.  We will see.  It is seemingly more durable than the MM flat black.
It is supposed to cure flat in 24 hours. We will see. It is seemingly more durable than the MM flat black.
Still searching a substitute for numerous small cans of Model Masters Flat Black
Still searching a substitute for numerous small cans of Model Masters Flat Black
A little paint helps hide it away
A little paint helps hide it away
Track skid bracket retainer in place
Track skid bracket retainer in place
On large scale armor almost everything can be bolted together
On large scale armor almost everything can be bolted together
Time to make a bracket
Time to make a bracket
...Here for the Dawn...
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

When I get the Tank it wont have sound, that is something i'll be looking at. I'll be looking at fitting a high intensity light in the barrel for gun flashes tied in with the shooting sounds when I have a sound kit in the tank. I'm thinking about gutting the tank & fitting internal firewalls & rigidity. I believe the Tank i'm buying has had quite a lot of work done to it, brush guards for periscopes etc so it's possible that no further mods need to be done. Of course this means that if I find any, the parts list wont be extensive? I will be converting my Tank to one run by the British. Although I was offered a Recce version i'd prefer to have a Tank with a turret.
I am the Law!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Sounds like you have a good handle on the things you want to do to your tank. I am using a 'Walk Around' book for the M5 and a book by a fellow who seemingly completely rebuilt the Stuart to a level I will not attempt ( I do want mine to run outdoors after all ). He has tons of ideas and how-tos within the pages tho' and once again, Sassgrunt kindly let me borrow his copy.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Steinbrunn Stuart Book
Steinbrunn Stuart Book
...Here for the Dawn...
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning,
Sounds like you have a good handle on the things you want to do to your tank. I am using a 'Walk Around' book for the M5 and a book by a fellow who seemingly completely rebuilt the Stuart to a level I will not attempt ( I do want mine to run outdoors after all ). He has tons of ideas and how-tos within the pages tho' and once again, Sassgrunt kindly let me borrow his copy.
regards,
Painless
As usual i'm learning as much as I can. I actually bought this book this afternoon {with a hic up}. I pressed pay & I got invoiced for two books so i'm just trying to cancel the second order.
I am the Law!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Went and looked at the 'flat' black on the one road wheel tonight and yep, shiny as it was yesterday. Rather than give up completely on the idea, I sprayed a couple of coats of Model Masters Clear Flat ( something that is a regular part of the paint and detailing anyway ) on the whole assembly and gave it a few minutes to flash dry. Results: Perfect! I could not tell the two road wheels apart. I went ahead tonight and brushed the two road wheels for the current assembly and set them aside to dry. I remembered to paint the grease zerk caps red on the painted road wheels ( and ended up scratching up a few zerks where they had been knocked off somehow ) I drilled a small hole and pushed a metal peg in to replace the broken ones. That should provide a solid mount for the new ones. Pics:
Attachments
Curing overnight...
Curing overnight...
A much better result...
A much better result...
Not exactly flat...
Not exactly flat...
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Larger Scale Military”