Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:Thanks, Highlander. I think I'll really start to feel a bit of satisfaction when I see it shoot paintballs. I mean, if ya think about it, the main point of any tank is the gun. Everything else is there to support the gun and move it around. If I can get an accurate gun with the laser sight and FPV I think I'll really have something. Then I'll have to decide if I should paint it and sell it quick before stuff starts breakin'!! @)

It's really too bad the gun laws over there even apply to something like this. I think if I lived over there I'd at least have to do airsoft, or maybe some kind of blank gun. With recoil. That's the one thing that's still buggin me, but with paintball I think it would be difficult. I'd have to get a much longer barrel for the PB gun and make a new barrel to go over it, then rig that barrel to recoil. Holding the Mantlet in place would be a problem. Now I need to look for old film of a real hetzer firing. :/ :S :crazy:
I entirely agree about the gun, Gary. :thumbup: That's why i don't really want a tank that doubles as a flashlight :lolno: ... I'd also rather see a model tank splat another with paint, than immobilise it with some invisible component of the light spectrum. :lolno:
Apparently, a lot of westerners shoot blanks these days, so lets not add to the tally with IR models... ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

And the hits just keep on comin'. The FPV turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be, so now I'm ready to mount all this stuff.

phpBB [video]

:wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Had one of those light bulb moments about the laser pointer. Still not sure about the camera. I might still mount it under the barrel or I might go with the driver's view port. I think I'll wait till I test the laser pointer and paintball cannon this weekend before I make a final decision about where to mount the camera.

phpBB [video]

When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

So I went to Federal Fluid Power this afternoon and the damn hose still isn't ready. Now they say Monday. I haven't paid them yet so I'm not out any money but it's frustrating because they're holding me up. Sooo, I think this weekend (we're supposed to have near perfect weather in Detroit this weekend, 80 degrees F, a light, gentle breeze and clear blue skies. That's 27C for my British buds @) ) I'm going to see if I can drive every RC vehicle I own by Sunday night. 8) :/ :angel:

I'll also probably try to get the camera mounted and the laser pointer wired in Herbert. Then when I finally do get the hose I'll be completely prepared. I might even start on the base coat and I have an idea for a quick photo shoot right after the dunkelgelb goes down. Well, it was actually Bret's idea but I'm thinking about some temporary markings over the dunkelgelb just to get some photos. If Alpha were still around he'd wet his knickers over this one.

I already have the two main markings and I can size them however I want. I was thinking of clear decal paper for the Turtle and white for the ... what the hell would you call that modified Balkan cross thingie? ... with some very careful trimming around the edges. I could apply the decals and afterwards just wet them again to remove before continuing with the three color camo.

And that brings up another question. I still haven't decided on a paint scheme. The girls und panzer thing is just for some novelty photos and will be removed right after, so then what? I was thinking about 131 but it's a different variant with a different exhaust. I'd like to go with three color, and I can do hard or soft edge, but I need photos or drawings that show both sides and the top. I can fake in the front and rear, but I'm nowhere near good enough to do a whole tank from a photo or drawing of just one side.

Help! :haha: :think: :crazy: 8O 8O
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I know it's a model, but I like the scheme on the 213

I think the raised mask technique would work very well for this scheme and I think I can do it justice, or at least get close enough for the girls we go out with. @) @)
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

If you can get yours like that, you've aced it :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I think I can take a fair crack at it, Herman. I think I'd use the same technique I used for the Abrams

That didn't come out too bad, and if I paint the dunkelgelb first, then the redbrown and the green last it should be fairly easy (with "easy" being relative, of course). I'll want a bit softer edge, but I think I can adjust for that. Unless I see a better candidate with a hard edged scheme I think this might be the one I go for. I'm not trying to win any IPMS contests or anything, and if I do a quality job most folks that see it won't know if it's right or not, just that it looks cool. And shoots paintballs (someday. maybe. damn slow suppliers)
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

UPDATE:

Apparently when I modified the gun I let something get in there where it ain't supposed to be and it fried the "cup seal". Got two for $12 on ebay so as soon as they get here I'll replace the seal and we'll try again. Til then I'll be working on details and getting the FPV camera installed. I have an idea for a camera mount that may be good for all of us. If this works out I think I can put together an FPV package for just about any tank that would cost under $30, plus another $80 or more for whatever kind of screen or goggles you want to use. I won't sell the package myself, I'll just provide all of the guys here with a list of parts, as well as where to get them and what they cost.

Would any of you guys be interested in something like that? If there's no interest I won't waste time on it, but if there's anyone else out there that would like to try an FPV system just let me know and if there's more than just one or two guys I'll see what I can put together.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Here's some more on the FPV portion of the build. It's kinda long, but if you want to try FPV it might be informative. If you want to do FPV in a 1/16 tank and use the tank battery for power you need one additional board, to step up the voltage to 12 volts. Those boards work pretty much the same as the step down in this video.

phpBB [video]

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Still waiting on parts for the cannon. Got the FPV system installed. Might change to a better camera that has changeable lenses to go from wide screen to a distance focus for aiming.

phpBB [video]

Return to “Larger Scale Military”