Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Re: Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post by Markocaster »

"Herbert Die Hetzer"
8) I like it :thumbup:
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Markocaster wrote:"Herbert Die Hetzer"
8) I like it Image
Very cool I agreeImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:I like that, Roy, Hermann the Hetzer. But you might agree it may be better to go with Herbert The Hetzer. You already know about my screen name and my connection to the U-52, well, Opa's full name was Max Herbert Czichaszek. Some say the name is Polish, but where Opa's people are from it was Germany before Poland even existed, the fact that the area is now Poland notwithstanding.

Now I have to practice my pronunciation. Germans don't say Herbert the same way English speaking folks do. It sounds more like "Hair-bairt". Maybe I can get one of the German speaking members to record "Ich bin Herbert Die Hetzer!" and see if Sollie or someone can make it into a sound file for me. @)

Reminds me of that band "Tool" and the cake recipe they turned into a heavy metal song, "Die Eier Von Satan". Und keinnen eier!! @) @)

Would it be totally crazy to paint (in small letters) "Herbert Die Hetzer" somewhere on the tank? Kind of an inside joke? Would that be cool or stupid?
:D It's also pronounced 'Hair Bairrrt' In Scotland, Gary. Lowland Scots, as opposed to Highland Gaelic, is quite conservative as a dialect and often reflects its non-Celtic Germanic origins more clearly than Sassenach modern English. E.g. Sco:'Hairst/Eng: 'Harvest'/Germ:'Herbst'. Sco: 'Kirk'/ Eng: Church/Germ: 'Kirche'...and so forth.
Anyway, Hairbairrrt it is :D . :thumbup: Of course 'HH' is also the kurzform for 'Hansestadt Hamburg', and appears on number plates (Kennzeichen) of cars registered there.. :think: Do ye Ken? As for polish names, well many famed Prussian military families had slavic sounding surnames, but they were often preceded by 'Von'. Like Von Below, or Clausewitz (-wice in the Polish format), and names often ending '-ow,' or '- ski'. Danzig/Gdansk was German, then Polish, then German
then Polish again..thus it's hardly surprising how names swapped sides too. Oddly enough, many thousands of Scots mercenaries settled in Poland and the Baltic states between 1550, and 1850. So, many modern Poles have Highland (military) ancestry :) Pardon the wee digression :) That also applies to the Germans too as, for example, the German surname 'Ritterfahrt' (no titters, please :haha: ) came from scots mercenaries with the 'Rutherford' surname.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Well, it looks like all are in agreement so Herbert D. Hetzer it will be. 8) @) :haha:

Good info on names, Roy, and made me think about how names also get changed when someone moves to a new land. The most famous of those names may arguably be Rothschild, which I hear started out as a German name, Rotschield (sp?), which means "Red Shield" when translated to English, and got it's current spelling and pronunciation from the French. Or at least that's the way the hippie brain remembers it, so accuracy could be off a bit. The point is that immigrants have had a lot to do with the names we use today, like how Braun gets to America and becomes Brown, etc, etc.

So the frame is mounted but now I have to drill the holes in the inner frame to hold the trunion and I want to do that on the Bridgeport to make sure they're true, and that means waiting till Monday. And then I have a whole new project within my project, getting the barrel that came with the tank sleeved over the barrel of the paintball pistol. I just may call in a Gunsmith I know for this one. @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Almost forgot, I cobbled together a mounting system for the CO2 tank. I'm about 90% certain it will work well, but I'm also prepared if I have to make revisions. ;)

The only worry is the strength of the velcro in between the mount and the hull, and if it proves not strong enough under operating conditions I may have to permanently mount it with JB Weld or two part epoxy. Other than that I think it will serve well.

I have to say that compared to 1/16 tanks this thing has a ton of space in it. And I also realize that in a couple areas I just got lucky and things fell right into place, like the clearance between the gun frame and the motors. It just worked out perfect and fits just right, as though I planned it that way, or somethin'. @)

But say what you will, I think the RC Gods know, and if you and your project are worthy they'll cut you a little slack. They sure have come through on this build and I think in the end I'm going to have a very special piece of kit here.

But I still have miles to go before I sleep. Back to work. @) :crazy: :/

phpBB [video]

:wave:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

OK, finally got this puppy mounted. I'm quite pleased with the way things came out. I think it will be more than strong enough and should perform well. I also think it will be a very smooth action, important for putting those paintballs exactly where I want them.

You talkin' to me? @) @) @)

phpBB [video]

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:OK, finally got this puppy mounted. I'm quite pleased with the way things came out. I think it will be more than strong enough and should perform well. I also think it will be a very smooth action, important for putting those paintballs exactly where I want them.

You talkin' to me? @) @) @)

phpBB [video]

Pretty impressive sort of gimbal/ universal joint arrangement, Gary. :thumbup: If the James Bond version of MI5 ever need a new 'Q', I'm sure your CV would get you the job :D Looking forward to field trials. If you can get red, white and blue paintball ammo, you could put a patriotic pattern of shots on the luckless local tree :lolno: :P
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Gary, I am loving this thread. There is nothing better than seeing a guy with access to a good machine shop being able to apply some solutions to inbuilt flaws.

Keep on truckin'.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Thanks for the kind words, Guys.

The servos arrived yesterday so I've got some work to do, and while I'm about all that I wanted to post the videos that had piled up in the camcorder. This is where we were as of Friday, and I'll be back when I have some servo operated stuff to show off. @)

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Max-U52 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I also hope some of you large scale guys are paying attention to all the advantages the IBU is giving me, beyond just the sounds. I'll be using the IR barrel recoil circuit to pull the trigger on the paintball gun, syncing the cannon sound to paintball firing, and I'll be using the elevation circuit for traverse on the remote MG34. Who knows what other tricks I'll come up with? The point is, the IBU series may be a much overlooked asset to the large scale tank crowd.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”