Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Max's 1/6 Blitzkrieg Armor Hetzer Project

Post by Max-U52 »

Got some very cool little 2-56 brass hex-head bolts today, and I also got the LED for the MG34 sorted out. Now to get the mount together and on a servo.

phpBB [video]
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

OK, I ordered a Spyder Opus paintball gun (about $50 delivered), and today I met a guy that owns one of those paintball places so maybe he'll be able to help me get it figgered out. I explained the project and he was pretty enthusiastic about helping so we'll see what happens.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Thanks, Mick, I think I've got a good start on replacing all those stupid little bolt heads.

I looked at those chip LEDs but by the time you get one soldered and the legs bent over it's still just as wide as the round LEDs. 3mm was the smallest I could find (since the demise of Radio Shack we only have one local electronics shack and it's not exactly the greatest) and I hollowed out the muzzle as large as I dare and it still sticks out a bit. I've thought about filing the end of the LED flat, but I'm not sure I want to get that aggressive with it. I think once I get used to it I'll be OK with things as they are in this next video, and it's really not that noticeable to anyone except me, the perfectionist that built the stupid thing. :)

phpBB [video]

I have one last servo on the shelf so maybe today I can get this thing to rotate under its own power. I'll be ordering the servos for the main gun this weekend, as soon as I hear back from my Servo Guru.

I sure do seem to have a lot of these "Guru" guys, don't I? I love it! @) @) @)
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

OK, I got her outside for testing after re-aligning some stuff, and I think the lower and running gear are pretty much where I want them until I get up the scratch for new tracks. Maybe Christmas bonus. A guy named Bob (yes, another Bob! They're takin' over!) gave me some real good tips on another forum so I took a closer look at the suspension and running gear alignment and I moved the idlers inboard a bit and also one of the roadwheels that wasn't matching it's mate, and re-aligned the motors and chains and things seem to be running pretty smooth. Still a lot of noise from the tracks but not much I can do about that right this minute. Where's that rich uncle when I need him? And what's that British thing about "Bob's your Uncle"? What The Frak does that mean? :crazy: :/ :S :think:

Anyway, until the new paintball gets here I'll just be adding details, but certain things have to wait till after paintball so I'll soldier on the best I can.

And Shadow makes his presence felt in this one, just in case he's developing a Fan Base. @) @)

phpBB [video]

And that bit at the end I tacked on just to give Master Sargent Mike a laugh. Kinda reminds me of that video I did a long time ago where the Tiger climbs up on the book shelf and puts herself away. ;)
Biarnred
Recruit

Post by Biarnred »

Fantastic as always. How is the weight distributed inside the tank if I may ask? In other words how balanced is it? What difference will the gun assembly make?

Brgds

Alex
Heng Long Tiger 1/8
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:OK, I got her outside for testing after re-aligning some stuff, and I think the lower and running gear are pretty much where I want them until I get up the scratch for new tracks. Maybe Christmas bonus. A guy named Bob (yes, another Bob! They're takin' over!) gave me some real good tips on another forum so I took a closer look at the suspension and running gear alignment and I moved the idlers inboard a bit and also one of the roadwheels that wasn't matching it's mate, and re-aligned the motors and chains and things seem to be running pretty smooth. Still a lot of noise from the tracks but not much I can do about that right this minute. Where's that rich uncle when I need him? And what's that British thing about "Bob's your Uncle"? What The Frak does that mean? :crazy: :/ :S :think:

Anyway, until the new paintball gets here I'll just be adding details, but certain things have to wait till after paintball so I'll soldier on the best I can.

And Shadow makes his presence felt in this one, just in case he's developing a Fan Base. @) @)

phpBB [video]

And that bit at the end I tacked on just to give Master Sargent Mike a laugh. Kinda reminds me of that video I did a long time ago where the Tiger climbs up on the book shelf and puts herself away. ;)
That's running very sweetly now, after the fine tuning. Perhaps you could set yourself up as a (model) Tank-surgeon, and track tuner. Yep, you could even have a miniature 'rolling road' (as per garages) for measuring pulling and braking power, as well as monitoring track alignment :lolno: ..
Incidentally, though I've heard '..and Bob's your uncle..' (meaning 'easy') loads of times in my many decades, I'd never bothered to check its etymology. The best explanation I could find is that when Prime Minister Robert Cecil appointed his nephew to a ministerial post in his government, cynics noted that it was: 'easy was become a minister, if Bob was your uncle'.. So, we're talking nepotism originally, morphing into a phrase meaning 'easy' or 'simple'; but then 'sophisticated' used mean 'capable of deceiving', not chic or elaborately cool... :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Hey guys, thanks for the info on Uncle Bob, I get it now.

I added the remote MG34 but with the shoulder switch the movement is a bit jerky, so I was wondering what would happen if I hooked it to the elevation servo. Who has an IBU2 with servo elevation? Does it move slowly when you push the stick and then stay where you left it until you next move the stick? That might be just the answer for the MG34 so unless anyone thinks it's a bad idea I just might try it. I would imagine it's just a case of moving the servo cable from the RX to the appropriate spot on the IBU2 Pro, eh?

Anyway, here's the remote MG34, with muzzle flash.

phpBB [video]
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Got the paintball gun today, so here's a couple short videos on that.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Beating a hasty and timely retreat form the site of your Tree abuse, I see, Gary :lolno: :haha: Looks like a nice neighbourhood; one with middle-class values, and where it's likely that the neighbourhood morals enforcer would censure an ancient hippy
decorating an old deciduous tree with paintballs!
Neat gun, by the way :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

..and here's an earlier RCTW thread on the topic of 1/6th tanks sporting paintball cannons, Gary. Looks like the thread starter hasn't paid the ransom on his pictures too, :O but some of the written details may be relevant to you. :thumbup: viewtopic.php?f=150&t=7155
Roy.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”