Tiger 1 manual starter crank shaft

Please post King Tiger I Camo patterns here.

Postby Burger_Patrol1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:15 am

Does anyone have good, clear, photos of the starter crank shaft? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the one end that is square shaped is where the handle is inserted for the operation to start cranking the motor over right? Im looking for what the other side looks like that is inserted into the engine. The one on the kit is just flat, but that doesn't make sense, as I would think there has to be some sort of notch for it to lock into the internal workings. Any help is appreciated...Thanks ;D
User avatar
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:21 pm
Location: Brea, CA. USA

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:06 am

Mr Burger I found this from my archives

Does show the inner workings but not sure if it will help you as you need.Image
User avatar
c.rainford73
Captain
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 am

I'd assume ( there's that bad word) I don't like to assume.... the panther tank and KT and Tiger I had very similar setups?
User avatar
c.rainford73
Captain
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:20 am

Here's some nice details of the business end of a Panzer III crank

http://relicsww2.com/index.php?route=pr ... uct_id=879
User avatar
c.rainford73
Captain
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 am

Sorry to bomb you with information, here's another version with a key way notched into the end...Image
User avatar
c.rainford73
Captain
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby Burger_Patrol1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:57 am

c.rainford73 wrote:Sorry to bomb you with information, here's another version with a key way notched into the end...Image


Thanks Rainford, I think I will go with this last version with the key cut into the end.
Thanks for the info!!! :thumbup: Thats what I would picture it being like.
User avatar
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:21 pm
Location: Brea, CA. USA

Postby c.rainford73 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 am

You're welcome buddyI think that's the one depicted in the king tiger cutaway I viewed now that I look at it. Makes sense, like a key and socket. Have fun and keep up the great work
User avatar
c.rainford73
Captain
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Postby Burger_Patrol1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 am

Thanks have a great weekend!!
User avatar
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:21 pm
Location: Brea, CA. USA

Postby Tiggr » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:05 pm

There's a couple of videos on YouTube showing a Tiger 1 and a Koenigstiger be hand crank started.

Well worth a watch.
Takes a lot of grunt !

Have a look at this..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsS20WJfBI


.....and this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnb5ouBjNc
User avatar
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:19 pm
Location: North Wales near Chester

Postby jarndice » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:42 pm

I was under the impression that the Tigers hand crank starting system was inertia assisted,
I remember hand Cranking a DHC2 Beaver which had an inertia starter, Unlike the Auster which was started by Prop Swinging it, the Beaver had an electric starter but in the field the battery was used as little as possible so that is why it was started using a handle which fitted into a hole in the side of the Engine Cowling,
Being an inertia starter all you did was wind the handle until it was tight then withdraw the Handle and give the "Wobble Pump" 5 pumps then push the starter and hopefully it fired up if not you had to go through the whole performance all over again :/
I imagine that the Tigers "Maybach" engine was started on the handle in a similar fashion.
Shaun.

jarndice
Captain
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am
Location: the mountains of hertfordshire

Postby Burger_Patrol1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 am

Tiggr wrote:There's a couple of videos on YouTube showing a Tiger 1 and a Koenigstiger be hand crank started.

Well worth a watch.
Takes a lot of grunt !

Have a look at this..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsS20WJfBI


.....and this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnb5ouBjNc

Thanks Tiger for the video links...Good stuff :thumbup:
User avatar
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:21 pm
Location: Brea, CA. USA

Postby Burger_Patrol1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:34 am

jarndice wrote:I was under the impression that the Tigers hand crank starting system was inertia assisted,
I remember hand Cranking a DHC2 Beaver which had an inertia starter, Unlike the Auster which was started by Prop Swinging it, the Beaver had an electric starter but in the field the battery was used as little as possible so that is why it was started using a handle which fitted into a hole in the side of the Engine Cowling,
Being an inertia starter all you did was wind the handle until it was tight then withdraw the Handle and give the "Wobble Pump" 5 pumps then push the starter and hopefully it fired up if not you had to go through the whole performance all over again :/
I imagine that the Tigers "Maybach" engine was started on the handle in a similar fashion.
Shaun.


Hi Shaun,
Thanks for your input..... :thumbup: Im sure you are right on the money with your statement. I was probably not using the correct terminology, when I asked my original question. I just was looking for a clear look at the crank end that was inserted into the back of the Tiger. I already found pics of the handle end, but just needed to see the other side. I found some photos that looks like a slot or a key was cut on the business end.
Have a ;D good one
User avatar
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:21 pm
Location: Brea, CA. USA


Return to Tiger I

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest