Ambush Pattern SSsPZAbt 501 Ardennes 1944

Please post King Tiger camo patterns here.
majordisastor
Lance Corporal

Ambush Pattern SSsPZAbt 501 Ardennes 1944

Post by majordisastor »

By Von Kraftwerk...

Here is my version of red oxide primer being used as base coat/camo colour,could be that primer was covered with darker red brown,and that primer order just mean't that to not base coat in dark yellow anymore,we'll probably never have an answer.

The painting took a while, I hand painted the green and yellow to get the hard edge look after spraying the red oxide,the yellow was revell and went horribly wrong,had to carefully rub down and touch in with airbrush,then I put too many dots on,cleaned em off!start again!I usually model a turret number not seen in photo's and then study the character of typical camo from the unit/production batch,to portray a panzer that might have been in that place at that time.

Published on behalf of Von Kraftwerk......
It always gets darkest before it goes completley black......
jhgillette
Recruit

Re: Ambush Pattern SSsPZAbt 501 Ardennes 1944

Post by jhgillette »

Hello
Very nice work! I'm getting ready to build a Tamiya King Tiger 204 from the same unit and time. I've also read about the red primer RAL #8012 Rotbraun being the only base coat of paint. There is a statement about Tank 204 of the same unit you did in the King Tiger New Vanguard book page 33 about no RAL #8017 Rotbraun Schokoladen Braun on this tank. I want to follow the 31 Oct 1944 German order about painting no more base coat of RAL # 7028 Dunkelgelb and didn't know if you had any information or photos about. Just trying to figure out the most correct way to go with this tank.
Best Regards,
Jim
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Ambush Pattern SSsPZAbt 501 Ardennes 1944

Post by greengiant »

There are a few black and white pics of 204 that I collected off the web. The dots are almost impossible to see but the general pattern of the camo can be seen.
Attachments
KT 204 La Gleize 5.jpg
KT 204  La Glieze 4.jpg
KT  204 La Gleize 3.jpg
KT  204  La Gleize 2.jpg
KT   La Gleize  1.jpg
KT 204.jpg

Return to “King Tiger”