Hacked ?

Do you need help with or have an issue with the RC Tank Warfare website, post here!
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Hacked ?

Post by Saracen »

Anyone else had a spam yesterday from "m.miyata@raphaelchapel.com" ?

The email address I used to sign up here is an alias, so has never been used anywhere else and has never been used to send, so I'm not sure how it has ended up with the spammers.

Adrian.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Hacked ?

Post by Tiger6 »

You can enter your email address here https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to check if your email is available for sale on the dark web (usually as a result of either your email provider being hacked, or the provider of somebody who has your address). The results might shed some light on how this happened.
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Post by Saracen »

I tried that and it came back with "Good news — no pwnage found!"
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

If you have anti-virus installed on your computer, it might be an idea to run a complete scan. There are lots of 'trojans' out there these days, often subtly embedded in websites you might visit, and these are designed to poach personal details. One example: every time I go to the Haynes online manuals site, anti-virus (Bitdefender) detects a trojan lurking there- 'generic- nemucode'. and has to delete it.

As Tiger6 pointed out, even if you have been careful, there's always the possibility that someone you know, or some organisation/website you deal with-(and we all have those these days)- might have been hacked in some way.
There are lots of sharks swimming around in the digital sea. :thumbdown:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I don't necessarily think that someone has been 'hacked" unfortunately in the ever increasing digital world our fingerprint ( including email details ) are left wherever we visit or purchase from ie online stores forums etc. Spam is just one of the downsides of all this, there are companies that deal in buying email details from unscrupulous sellers just to fill your inbox with, well spam! When receiving spam in your email most providers will allow you to mark it as so and they will block that sender from sending it to you from that address again but unfortunately they have multiple addresses so it will inevitably happen again, it's like having junk mail through your door, people just want to try and sell you something :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Post by Saracen »

43rdRecceReg wrote:there's always the possibility that someone you know
It's not someone I know, as the address is a dummy and cannot be used to send.
43rdRecceReg wrote: some organisation/website you deal with-(and we all have those these days)- might have been hacked in some way. :thumbdown:
That's my concern, as this website is the only one which knows it.

I used to get lots of notifications from here a few years ago, so I wonder if it was visible on a global email of some sort and has been found in someone's archive.

Adrian

Return to “Help”