rear idler wheels on HL tiger 1 ans track location

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
tigerman1
Recruit

rear idler wheels on HL tiger 1 ans track location

Post by tigerman1 »

Hi, on my HL Tiger 1 the inner track guide teeth fit into the inner 'ring' of each idler wheel. This seems odd. Surely the idler wheel should be positionec so that the track teeth are either side of it. Is this a HL oddity to keep the tracks in place or do i need to adjust this. I have the Pro veriosn with metal tracks. Also one odler wheel unscrewed itself, so i assume that threadlock is a good way to fix this?

Tigerman1

PS has anyone produced an exploded assuembly diagram for HL tanks?
blimp
Sergeant

Re: rear idler wheels on HL tiger 1 ans track location

Post by blimp »

Hi Tigerman1 - You are correct about the tracks , the idler goes BETWEEN the guide horns . The screw can be retightened with a TINY spot of superglue , Loctite isn't reccomended for use on plastic . Track derailling is a common problem , loose tracks make it worse . Fitting a track tensioner helps . As for a diagram , it seems your tank is exploding all by itself ;D
    - (only kidding ! - i couldn't resist . i'll get my coat . . . ) - Blimp .
    to the bouncy room ! Yay !
    tigerman1
    Recruit

Post by tigerman1 »

Cheers Blimp! Thanks for the reply. Tensioner sound interesting. Will investigate prices. Was also thinking of buying replacement metal (prepainted) idler wheels as well.
    tigerman1
    Recruit

Post by tigerman1 »

Hmmm! Reset teh idler wheels so that the track teeth engage either side of the idler wheel as on the real thing. Within 5 minutes the tracks had jumped again so that the inner teeth engage in the inner ring of the idler wheel. Feeling that the tank is badly designed - possible it is the metal tracks causing the problem anyone got any ideas?
    blimp
    Sergeant

Post by blimp »

- Sounds like the suspension arms have spread a bit and the track is still a little loose, you could try removing a link , tightening the track - the spring in the suspension will allow it , it also helps keep the road wheels in line , but can cause the flimsy plastic surrounding the bolt to fail . - I take it that it's the left hand side that goes , rotation of the idler wheel on that side just undoes the screw ! It is a cheap design , barely able to keep it in place on a lightweight 'standard ' plastic version .
    to the bouncy room ! Yay !
    tigerman1
    Recruit

Re: rear idler wheels on HL tiger 1 and track location

Post by tigerman1 »

The idlers already look to be pulled slightly by the track tension as it is. It is the offside idler wheel that keeps coming loose. I talked to the mail order shop i purchased it from (HL only give a 3 month warranty) and they thought the track might need an additional link but wanted me to post the tank back to them to look at it! I suppose i could spend £35 on tensioners and a set of metal rear idlers.

UPDATE: I have now returned the tank to the seller :thumbdown: for investigation of problem and possibly repair. Will report on the fix/outcome of this issue. Currently disappinted with tank design and having had a Tamiya RC vehicle in the past :thumbup: , feel that there is probably nothing better than a Tamiya - wife says i should save up for one :clap: !
    jackalope
    Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Any update as to what the fix was as mine does the same darn thing.

Return to “HL Tiger 1”