Henglong tiger1 BB gun intermittant

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
Gazbo
Recruit

Henglong tiger1 BB gun intermittant

Post by Gazbo »

Hi guys.
New to this forum. Hope I'm doing this right !.
My HL Tiger 1 BB gun has started acting weird.
Pushing the stick to fire, used to wind the gun up, then let go one shot. Fine.
Now it does the following :
One push and hold of the stick - starts the gun mechanism winding up.
Another push and hold seems to advance the process further towards a "fire".
Another couple of pushes seem totally dead, or ignored.
Another push fires the gun immediately.
I would assume something was sticking, were it not for the two "dead pushes".
If it was a faulty stick on the tranny, I wouldn't expect the same scenario every time.
seems to be a regular occurrence now.
Rest of tank is fine.
Could it be radio - related, or mechanical fault. (Ideas ?) PS, I do know how to open her up - if that helps. GAZBO
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Henglong tiger1 BB gun intermittant

Post by jarndice »

Whenever my wife and I get invited to a party the first thing we do is introduce ourselves to the host/hostess,
We chat about our family and sometimes our interests come up in the conversation, someone might mention what they do for a living, I am sure you get the gist.
What we have never done is turn up uninvited and told our host/hostess that our car is broken/The roof is leaking etc.
There is a section of this Forum where we introduce ourselves to other members of the Forum, It breaks the ice and helps us if you offer enough information to help you.
Perhaps we will see you there one day, I should love to meet you.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Gazbo
Recruit

Post by Gazbo »

Sorry Shaun. I will do that. still figuring out how to use forums (this is my first ever post, on any forum - anywhere!)
Last edited by Gazbo on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thats why Mr Jarndice dont go to too many parties !!! :haha: :haha:

Could be there are other BB's stuck in the gun
Could need a clean out & lube
Could need the mechanism is tight in a spot & needs to be freed up................

Lots of things really.
Either option, you will need to open it up.
BUT, if you have not owned it long, make an enquiry to the vendor for assistance & go from there BEFORE you open it.
Warranty is what it is.

Welcome along, bummer you have a problem as your first post, but, such is life eh ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Gazbo
Recruit

Post by Gazbo »

Tank has probably run for around 3 hours total, but that was around 6 years ago. Been sat on a shelf in the loft until now. Everything else works fine though.
BB's are definitely not stuck or sticking, but yes,the mechanism could be binding somehow. What is really weird, is the fact that it goes through the same routine each time, whereby the first 2 attempts run the gun mechanism up, but the next 2 attempts do nothing. no sound. no movement- as if dead, but then attempt no 5 always fires the bb at full force. Same routine, each and every time. It's the 2 silent attempts that are confusing mainly. you would expect some kind of groaning if the mech was sticking.Anyway, I'll strip it out and investigate. Maybe try it by dry firing,(I don't like dry firing though) whilst it's out of the turret.
Thanks for the reply Herman. Leave it with me.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Whenever my wife and I get invited to a party the first thing we do is introduce ourselves to the host/hostess,
We chat about our family and sometimes our interests come up in the conversation, someone might mention what they do for a living, I am sure you get the gist.
What we have never done is turn up uninvited and told our host/hostess that our car is broken/The roof is leaking etc.
There is a section of this Forum where we introduce ourselves to other members of the Forum, It breaks the ice and helps us if you offer enough information to help you.
Perhaps we will see you there one day, I should love to meet you.
Shaun.

Ahem..well, Gazbo, a belated welcome to the Forum and that was LT jaundice sounding like RSM Jarndice :lolno: :lolno: ..so cut along there Laddie and get the intro over with, we don't want to be doing 'jankers' now or peeling spuds do, we? :haha:
As to your problem, well, Herman's right in that if the tank's under warranty, your first action would be to contact the vendor. If not, then I wonder whether the batteries in your Transmitter need changing...or if you have a bad contact
(ingress of dirt or fluff) around the Toggle/Joystick axes. Might be worth trying contact cleaner/ compressed air around the toggle switches. My advice is always ensure batteries in the TX (transmitter..in case you're not up on jargon)
and Rx (receiver) are fully charged or new before running any tests. You'd be amazed how the performance of various functions can tail off alarmingly with the loss of puff from asthmatic batteries, so to speak 8O
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
I'll weigh in on the already excellent advice offered. Six years in a loft? Clean out the barrel with a pipe cleaner stick and lubricate the mechanism with some graphite or non binding oil. The original lubrication has dried up and the mechanism is barely functioning. ( Make sure that you are using quality shot as well, not the weird oblongs that originally came with the tank )
regards
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Gazbo
Recruit

Post by Gazbo »

Haha. (Seasoned RC flier - so jargon is fine). I have done the intro - BTW. Thanks for that.
Batteries are all good. Multimetered 'em all yesterday.(Tank pack is brand new and fully charged, after a 5 cycle exercise on the graupner charger
So yes, the clean and lube job does sound like a feasible option to me.
Soooo.....not wanting to sound thick, but is there a way to lube the mech, without a full field strip?
( I know you could Pour 40 gallons of sae 20/40 down the bore - but I'm not that daft - honest)
If it means a tank strip, so be it, but I just wondered if there was any access to lube the necessary bits, without full-open-heart...
Gazbo
Recruit

Post by Gazbo »

PS. Transmitter has had a dry air blow out of all the pots/switches and bits, and has also been dosed with Servisol, around the stick pots/ switch gear, for good measure. Servisol - for anyone who doesn't know, is a best quality electrical switch and contact cleaner, and is by far the best stuff for when potentiometers are playing up. (Did I say I play, and have built and / or have repaired many electric guitars and amps too). this stuff is the correct spray for cleaning any deposit build up on the tracks of potentiometers, ie volume and tone knobs. Rids your kit of all crackles and drop outs. Got my mixing desk sliders fully operational straight away! it also lubricates the contacts, whilst maintaining conductivity. Amazon, under a tenner for an aerosol, and it last ages. No good for lubing bearings or gears though !
Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference in this case. IE. not made it any worse, but not improved things either, which leads me to believe the TX is 100% anyway. Still worth a shot in the tank mechanism's electrics though.
Gazbo
Recruit

Post by Gazbo »

I should mention (Rambling now - I'll shut up in a mo !) the "LOFT" is actually a recording studio room, and not a space full of lagging !!!

Return to “HL Tiger 1”