Changes to a 2014 made Heng Long Tiger I

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
Clutchburner
Recruit

Re: Changes to a 2014 made Heng Long Tiger I

Post by Clutchburner »

Ah, I bought the all plastic version. I engaged the final drive gear correctly, and it
Can pull nearly anything, I like pulling suitcases around the hotel room , but now that that is fixed, the clutch started makin noise so truely... I have no idea what it is, and this is the best forum for diagnosis. But you must be haulin up hill, but I can see
The plastic bushings being that easy to overheat. I just replace nylon gears with cheap rc car gears from Walmart, or with power drill
Gears, but this tank does good offload otherwise. But i don't want steel, but
That may be the best option. Alpha, you have been doin this for a long time(more than me) and Im wondering... How could I make the nylon tougher, even when I go offroad? ( I don't know what glueing would help.
Last edited by Clutchburner on Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:Ah, I bought the all plastic version. I engaged the final drive gear correctly, and it
Can pull nearly anything, I like pulling suitcases around the hotel room , but now that that is fixed, the clutch started makin noise so truely... I have no idea what it is, and this is the best forum for diagnosis. But you must be haulin up hill, but I can see
The plastic bushings being that easy to overheat. I just replace nylon gears with cheap rc car gears from Walmart, or with power drill
Gears, but this tank does good offload otherwise. But i don't want steel, but
That may be the best option.
Epoxying the clutch gear helped a great deal...till the bushing melted lol...since it was a pain locating those... I just went for the steel... I was hesitant at first just like you are...but after balancing costs..it was the best option...haven't regretted the decision at all :D

ALPHA
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Well I'll give it a try today, I will post the picture just I case anyone need help with anything like this again. I was just so mad that only after 3 days of driving on FLAT ground, he nylon started slipping. Nylon isn't the toughest, but it can darn sure hold up and pull some weight, but I'm restoring a 1986 bronco 2 too drive my junior year in high school which starts soon, so I can't blow cash on an rc tank, andim desperate for any homemade methods. I have had it apart 13 times, but never can get anything to stay fixed, but in the process I learned a lot of things about it, if you want pictures of it message my profile and I will send pictures of the 2014 tiger 1 and show problems and some fixes. Not all tanks are like this from HL, but I do wish hey had a bit better quality control.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:Well I'll give it a try today, I will post the picture just I case anyone need help with anything like this again. I was just so mad that only after 3 days of driving on FLAT ground, he nylon started slipping. Nylon isn't the toughest, but it can darn sure hold up and pull some weight, but I'm restoring a 1986 bronco 2 too drive my junior year in high school which starts soon, so I can't blow cash on an rc tank, andim desperate for any homemade methods. I have had it apart 13 times, but never can get anything to stay fixed, but in the process I learned a lot of things about it, if you want pictures of it message my profile and I will send pictures of the 2014 tiger 1 and show problems and some fixes. Not all tanks are like this from HL, but I do wish hey had a bit better quality control.
Initially I didn't mind the nylon gears...in fact when I was a newb here...there was a discussion about them...they are actually not bad durability wise...the clutch is definitely a bad thing... and do slip... but after doing the epoxy mod ran rather well.... some of my tanks still have them...but most of my new tanks have the metal...just to avoid the whole modification thing...just don't get down so easily ... things happen... even metal gears no matter the brand have their little quirks ;)

ALPHA
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Ah. That's good. It may be the only tank I ever buy considering I'm in rc cars and boats, but it's something to pull my cars and boats around with so I'm happy. I'll jam something in the clutch and see how it helps before I decide, becausE the clutch is there to prevent striping. But I'm also tryin to warn everyone like me about the 2014 gears. Thank you ALPHA. It's good to have someon on the forum who understands, it really does help people. Thank you.
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Does anyone have metal tracks? Im not sure if they are work the money, the plastic ones are doing great
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:Does anyone have metal tracks? Im not sure if they are work the money, the plastic ones are doing great
I still run Plastic Tracks on my Tiger..... you have to be careful changing to metal... for if you do it is better to change the sprockets and idler at the same time...the plastic ones will simply die lol..... and you will definitely need to upgrade your gearboxes if you do.... they put more load ...as the "grip" is slightly increased... this is because of the width.... the weight adds more drag...the nylon gears will not handle this...especially the final gear

ALPHA
freddytoo
Recruit

Post by freddytoo »

Thanks for the info guys. Ive looked very closely at my box's and have concluded there is no clutch in any of them. I have 2 plastic, one black metal and one white metal. The plastic ones gave out within 20 or 30 minutes (stripped the large gear that contacts the drive gear on the motor), but I have had no trouble with the metal ones.
The only trouble I am having now is the gearing. I have stock HL gear ratio, which I have asked about but no one seems to know what the ratio is. With a proportional speed control. going slow and trying to go up an incline, it burns out the fuse I installed. So I think I need to change to a 4:1 or 3:1 gear box. But which one? Is the 4:1 higher gear than the 3:1? Or the other way around?
Thanks again, Freddy
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

I would go for 4:1 black steel ones. very good speed control and pretty much as bullet proof as you will find. You might consider the motors too. I use these JP Pro power 400 motors now:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/sh ... sp?id=1218

Very smooth motors and a good increase in torque too. Much better than any of the standard ones. They make a great combination with the 4:1 black steel boxes.
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Well Freddy. I don't know much, but on the 2014 tiger 1, ther is a slipper clutch on the gear that engages to the pinion. But if you are replacing the boxes, then you should go with the 4:1 ratio. The 4:1 ratio will give more power and duribility, but steel gears WILL strip if to harshly used, don't pull weight up hill at too steep of a grade.

Return to “HL Tiger 1”