Changes to a 2014 made Heng Long Tiger I

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
martynr
Recruit

Changes to a 2014 made Heng Long Tiger I

Post by martynr »

Hi

Brought a Heng Long Tiger I a few days ago & as I am going to change a lot of it have been looking at forums & the net beforehand on how to strip it down.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at my new one against what I have read mine is a new style hull & some of the mods have already been done :-). As you can see from the pictures there are now only 6 screws to take out to release the upper hull, but 2 of them are hidden behind the plastic spare front tracks that easily unclip. A lot of the rear parts like exhausts, toolbox & air filters are just screwed in easy to take off.

The hull has had metal bracing for the suspension, but please note that due to the new position of the screw mounts this is now a 2 piece unit & not just a single strip. Also the road wheels are now an allen screw fitting with just a painted "rubber" effect on the edges.

Mine was date stamped as 02/2014 & I hope this helps.
Attachments
DSCF7095.JPG
DSCF7094.JPG
DSCF7091.JPG
DSCF7090.JPG
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Changes to a 2014 made Heng Long Tiger I

Post by HERMAN BIX »

And I am sure the turret position is correct & does not need moving back the regulation 1/2" inch.
Mine was the same as yours.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

Concerning the turret position; I hope this helps:

ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Welcome to the board Marty.... Thanks for the fine photo's of your new Tiger :D

Enjoy the adventure :thumbup:

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Welcome to the Forum, Marty. Excellent info and timely with all the Tiger 1s out and about. Please keep up the photos of your build and share them with us.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I find the new screw points interesting...means Heng Long did change the mold for the lower Hull...could be the reason I've never had problems with my tracks and the new one does :think:

ALPHA
Clutchburner
Recruit

Post by Clutchburner »

Hi everybody, I have just bought my first rc tank, the Heng Long Tiger 1. I have recently gotten out of nitro rc boats and cars, but never had a tank. But I noticed a problem with the HL tiger 1. The gearbox had a gear that was not fully engaged correctly and began slipping, and after fixing, the clutch became too loose, and started wearing out. I don't want Metal parts, seeing as they are heavy and cause large problems. But in worried about nylon gears, but metal gears heat the motors to easily when stuck, so what should I do?
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Clutchburner wrote:Hi everybody, I have just bought my first rc tank, the Heng Long Tiger 1. I have recently gotten out of nitro rc boats and cars, but never had a tank. But I noticed a problem with the HL tiger 1. The gearbox had a gear that was not fully engaged correctly and began slipping, and after fixing, the clutch became too loose, and started wearing out. I don't want Metal parts, seeing as they are heavy and cause large problems. But in worried about nylon gears, but metal gears heat the motors to easily when stuck, so what should I do?
One of the easiest mods to the nylon gearboxes is to epoxy the clutch....it makes them almost as trouble free as the metal gearboxes....with that said though... the final drive axle is the real weak point... once that spins there is no repairing those

But....you will have a nice quiet running tank for quite awhile :D

ALPHA
freddytoo
Recruit

Post by freddytoo »

Hi all, I read this and it raised a question. I have a HL Tiger 1, and I have had it apart many times, but I am not aware of a clutch. Where is this? All I see is the gear assembly and the motors. Am I missing something?
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

freddytoo wrote:Hi all, I read this and it raised a question. I have a HL Tiger 1, and I have had it apart many times, but I am not aware of a clutch. Where is this? All I see is the gear assembly and the motors. Am I missing something?
Heng Longs are Direct drive....so no clutch.... the clutch system was found mostly in Tamiyas...they have discontinued the use of them and now have independent gearboxes like everyone else... reason on Ebay ...a lot of the Old Tamiyas being sold is because of the clutch system...they perform ok...but not great
and they take up more space

ALPHA

Return to “HL Tiger 1”