Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
tamworthleon
Recruit

Re: Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Post by tamworthleon »

ALPHA wrote:
tamworthleon wrote:I forgot to mention, tracks were easy when I sat down with a cuppa and have a think. I have spare plastic tracks and some pins for the KV so I used a pin to drive out 1 on each track. Seems no way of getting the track off past the idle gear otherwise. I see where the idle gear splits BUT its plastic and they have glued the dam thing together so I did'nt try to part it. So there ya go the so pro version still has a plastic idle wheel. So to sum it up these are the first Heng Long tanks I've had. Impressed with the standard KV1S and not happy at all with the so called pro version of the tiger 1. As you Said ALPHA its the luck of the draw I guess
Yup it sounds like your tracks are too tight... you should have at least a third of an inch play when you lift it up..if you don't the gearboxes will have a grinding noise to therm

ALPHA
Hi ALPHA. Nah its not the tracks as i ran the motors with the top half hull off and no tracks or sprockets fitted. That how i found one side started running before the other and stopped later than the other side. Im pretty sure its the RX18 as it did this with both the old and new gearbox's
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Tam.. you have to remember ... there are several people here who have different methods..... some will just replace stuff...some like me rather attempt to troubleshoot and fix the problem first...the unfortunate part of this process is here on the board... everything is in black and white ...written... we don't have your tank in hand
My History with HENG LONG is ... they are very good for the price.... and knock on wood... though some had problems I was always able to smooth them out ...one thing I have found true... is their pro model tanks that come full metal components... the German tanks are sometimes equiped with the track being over tensioned...reason when I purchase those.. I buy the ones that are metal gearboxed.. with plastic tracks and upgrade those with aftermarket tracks... because they are adjustable... the other route would be to install tensioners....Forgebear and Welsh dragon both carry these tensioners ...they take work... and some mods to make them fit properly...on the TIGER JAGDPANTHER PANTHER G KING TIGER and PANZER IV some precise drilling cutting is required...I prefer playing with the track slack as far as the variants of the PANZER III ... they accept the aftermarket tensioner with greater ease My KV 2 (which is based on the KV 1) was probably the only tank that I had major drive problems with straight out of the box.... I don't blame the manufacturer ..but the delivery service...as it was pretty clear it was mishandled
But with a little trouble shooting and run in.... I was able to sort it out without purchasing anything extra...
You are frustrated at the moment...best thing when it gets to that point is step away from it.....There is a solution... if you think it's a trTIim problem try switching the motors from one side to the other...as far as your RX18 goes... check the antenna connection first... sometimes they are not soldered well requiring you to compensate through the controller... and if that fails... get another controller where the trim does work... for instance ... for trouble shooting purposes take your KV controller or the crystal from the tank and switch it to the TIGER...if that works get a new controller for it... HENG LONG controllers are cheap...some packages include new everything ... meaning the receiver board RX and wires I got two from the recent MATO MART sale.. cost 45 dollars each... meant for IR conversion ... so it also included the IR tower and upgraded flash ....and now.. they carry the new 2.4s
Anyway your options are out there for you...as far as what you have ordered and spent... personally I wouldn't have gone that route unless you knew for a fact something was totally fried ...but there is nothing to be said or done at this point
There is one thing you might want to consider...or keep in mind ...on a board like this... many of the modellers have been doing it for years... and found recipes for tuning their personal tanks to their satisfaction....the key word being satisfaction... as nothing ever runs perfectly... check youtube... you will find totally tweeked tanks with all the best electrical upgrades there is available...some installed by professionals... and to be honest ... have never noticed "marked" performance increases ...but that's in the "eye of the beholder"...some ..especially the ones who made the investment to upgrade.. are totally happy... more power to them...because they are having fun ...just as I am happy with mine as they are.. to which I have already stated... had to change one set of gearboxes

All I can do is wish you the best of luck with your TIGER...I think I could make it run with the stock parts ... but it sounds like you have thrown in the towel...it isn't my headache .. I'm not going to make it so

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tamworthleon wrote:
ALPHA wrote:
tamworthleon wrote:I forgot to mention, tracks were easy when I sat down with a cuppa and have a think. I have spare plastic tracks and some pins for the KV so I used a pin to drive out 1 on each track. Seems no way of getting the track off past the idle gear otherwise. I see where the idle gear splits BUT its plastic and they have glued the dam thing together so I did'nt try to part it. So there ya go the so pro version still has a plastic idle wheel. So to sum it up these are the first Heng Long tanks I've had. Impressed with the standard KV1S and not happy at all with the so called pro version of the tiger 1. As you Said ALPHA its the luck of the draw I guess
Yup it sounds like your tracks are too tight... you should have at least a third of an inch play when you lift it up..if you don't the gearboxes will have a grinding noise to therm

ALPHA
Hi ALPHA. Nah its not the tracks as i ran the motors with the top half hull off and no tracks or sprockets fitted. That how i found one side started running before the other and stopped later than the other side. Im pretty sure its the RX18 as it did this with both the old and new gearbox's
Honestly Tam... I don't think it's the RX18... have you tried switching controllers with your KV?

ALPHA
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

ALPHA wrote:Tam.. you have to remember ... there are several people here who have different methods..... some will just replace stuff...some like me rather attempt to troubleshoot and fix the problem first...the unfortunate part of this process is here on the board... everything is in black and white ...written... we don't have your tank in hand
My History with HENG LONG is ... they are very good for the price.... and knock on wood... though some had problems I was always able to smooth them out ...one thing I have found true... is their pro model tanks that come full metal components... the German tanks are sometimes equiped with the track being over tensioned...reason when I purchase those.. I buy the ones that are metal gearboxed.. with plastic tracks and upgrade those with aftermarket tracks... because they are adjustable... the other route would be to install tensioners....Forgebear and Welsh dragon both carry these tensioners ...they take work... and some mods to make them fit properly...on the TIGER JAGDPANTHER PANTHER G KING TIGER and PANZER IV some precise drilling cutting is required...I prefer playing with the track slack as far as the variants of the PANZER III ... they accept the aftermarket tensioner with greater ease My KV 2 (which is based on the KV 1) was probably the only tank that I had major drive problems with straight out of the box.... I don't blame the manufacturer ..but the delivery service...as it was pretty clear it was mishandled
But with a little trouble shooting and run in.... I was able to sort it out without purchasing anything extra...
You are frustrated at the moment...best thing when it gets to that point is step away from it.....There is a solution... if you think it's a trTIim problem try switching the motors from one side to the other...as far as your RX18 goes... check the antenna connection first... sometimes they are not soldered well requiring you to compensate through the controller... and if that fails... get another controller where the trim does work... for instance ... for trouble shooting purposes take your KV controller or the crystal from the tank and switch it to the TIGER...if that works get a new controller for it... HENG LONG controllers are cheap...some packages include new everything ... meaning the receiver board RX and wires I got two from the recent MATO MART sale.. cost 45 dollars each... meant for IR conversion ... so it also included the IR tower and upgraded flash ....and now.. they carry the new 2.4s
Anyway your options are out there for you...as far as what you have ordered and spent... personally I wouldn't have gone that route unless you knew for a fact something was totally fried ...but there is nothing to be said or done at this point
There is one thing you might want to consider...or keep in mind ...on a board like this... many of the modellers have been doing it for years... and found recipes for tuning their personal tanks to their satisfaction....the key word being satisfaction... as nothing ever runs perfectly... check youtube... you will find totally tweeked tanks with all the best electrical upgrades there is available...some installed by professionals... and to be honest ... have never noticed "marked" performance increases ...but that's in the "eye of the beholder"...some ..especially the ones who made the investment to upgrade.. are totally happy... more power to them...because they are having fun ...just as I am happy with mine as they are.. to which I have already stated... had to change one set of gearboxes

All I can do is wish you the best of luck with your TIGER...I think I could make it run with the stock parts ... but it sounds like you have thrown in the towel...it isn't my headache .. I'm not going to make it so

ALPHA
No mate I just slung it in the box as it was getting late and I had the biggest Banger racing event today so had to get some kip. The trim on the KV controller is fixed too. Never had time to swap them but will give it a try. Will also swap motors to see what happends. As I said last night this was doing it without the tracks fitted and from what I can see the tracks seem loose enough. I'll have to take some pics and post them up but I've just learned my mothers had a fall and in Hospitial so I've got to go upto Blackpool tomorrow so wont be doing much with anything till the end of the week. By that time I might have carmed down enough to get it back out lol.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tamworthleon wrote: No mate I just slung it in the box as it was getting late and I had the biggest Banger racing event today so had to get some kip. The trim on the KV controller is fixed too. Never had time to swap them but will give it a try. Will also swap motors to see what happends. As I said last night this was doing it without the tracks fitted and from what I can see the tracks seem loose enough. I'll have to take some pics and post them up but I've just learned my mothers had a fall and in Hospitial so I've got to go upto Blackpool tomorrow so wont be doing much with anything till the end of the week. By that time I might have carmed down enough to get it back out lol.
Bottom line Tam... there will be other kits that have problems and frustrate the heck out of you... believe me I know... check my KV2 thread ...that build was no cakewalk...anyway back to the bottom line... "SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO WALK AWAY" cool off... to where you are more rational... there is always a fix :thumbup:

Good luck

ALPHA
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

As soon as your mum gets well and I am sure we all hope that is very soon, I would suggest two things, first find a decent pub and with a few friends get away from all things Tank then before going to bed take a look at the Tiger then sleep, I find that many positive thoughts can come after a good nights sleep, go on what's to lose. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

right im back from up north and thanks to a good chap on here i'll soon have the right drive sprockets so will put it out again and have a look.

Return to “HL Tiger 1”