Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
tamworthleon
Recruit

Re: Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Post by tamworthleon »

WOW I ordered the gearbox's from Welsh Dragon yesterday afternoon and they have arrived this morning. That's service. Now to troll the forum and see how this thing comes apart lol
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Remove the drive sprockets with allen key then remove drive sprocket (it's in two half's) and the tracks. Then between the tracks and side of hull there is 3 screws which need undoing (one side has five, two extra new the back these hold the speaker so don't undo) You'll have to push screwdriver between the road wheels to get to them.

Then turn upside down and on the bottom near the front there is a screw then two more near the back. And I think that's all of them. The top should lift off and unplug the wires between the bottom and top. Then each gearbox is held in place with 3 screws.

Hope that helps.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
cupoftea
Corporal

Post by cupoftea »

Hi Leon

As others have said - you will be very happy with the black steel 4:1 gearboxes your are fitting in your Tiger. It is a real improvement. I have just done the same thing and it is a huge improvement. Again, as others have indicated, if funds permit an IBU2 or similar board will make a vast difference and also get rid of the silly track recoil and superspin. Basically your tiger tank will behave more like a tiger tank should and a lot less like a formula 1 racing car.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tamworthleon wrote:WOW I ordered the gearbox's from Welsh Dragon yesterday afternoon and they have arrived this morning. That's service. Now to troll the forum and see how this thing comes apart lol
Just two more cents ... I don't know what model of HENG LONG you have...sounds like the basic... ADD WEIGHT.... it will slow your tank drastically... and with your new gearboxes will make it creep even more

GOOD LUCK

ALPHA
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

Thanks Tankbear will be stripping It later on and its a big help. Thanks cupoftea, they were recommended to me on here as well as the guy at Welsh Dragon. Seem well built. I have the new pro version Alpha with metal tracks ect. Seems heavy compaired to the KV1S hence the problem. Was all or nothing before. The KV1S is a standard RX18 with plastic everything but its quite good like that and a lot better control than the tiger. Im going to get the IBU2 board too when payday comes around lol. Im looking at getting metal road wheels, front lights and some metal tart up bits before I repaint in camo. The metal tracks that came with the tank seem ok so will just weather them. Once I've finished the Tiger i'll start with the KV1S. Im going to covert it into a captured KV-2 and again going to replace the gearbox's,most of the electrics,wheels tracks ect and might even go for a metal hull.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tamworthleon wrote:Thanks Tankbear will be stripping It later on and its a big help. Thanks cupoftea, they were recommended to me on here as well as the guy at Welsh Dragon. Seem well built. I have the new pro version Alpha with metal tracks ect. Seems heavy compaired to the KV1S hence the problem. Was all or nothing before. The KV1S is a standard RX18 with plastic everything but its quite good like that and a lot better control than the tiger. Im going to get the IBU2 board too when payday comes around lol. Im looking at getting metal road wheels, front lights and some metal tart up bits before I repaint in camo. The metal tracks that came with the tank seem ok so will just weather them. Once I've finished the Tiger i'll start with the KV1S. Im going to covert it into a captured KV-2 and again going to replace the gearbox's,most of the electrics,wheels tracks ect and might even go for a metal hull.
I'm pretty surprised by your performance problems then... all my HENG LONGS... run pretty smooth at low speed.... contrary to the opinions here ... all I've had to do was give the standard metal gearboxes a good lubing... and run in .....My KV1 was actually my worst runner straight out of the box.. but after lubing. and running it in for about an hour at all speeds... mostly all out forward and back...broke the gears in to where now it's one of my best... the top being the T34 and Sherman ...My JagdPanther is the only one I changed the gearboxes... but it was still HENG LONG black gears .... as the stock plastic ones actually melted in my torture test field
Anyway... good to hear you are working it out. :thumbup:

ALPHA
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Hi Leon,

If you do go for an IBU2 (which I would whole heartedly recommend), don't forget that you will also need to get a 4 channel (or more) "hobby grade" transmitter and receiver, unless you have one already.

Sorry if you already knew this but I thought it worth mentioning as the IBU2 will not work with the stock H/L transmitter.

These are not that expensive (you can pick a good basic set up for around £50 easily) and it will be a good investment if you are going to use any control system other than the H/L, Taigen or Mato all in one systems.

There are a number of makes of transmitter, Spektrum, Planet, Turnigy and Futaba being some of the more popular. A lot of people like the Spektrum DX6i or the Planet transmitters.

I use a Turnigy 9x which has been flashed with ER9x firmware to make it easier to programme and has both gimbals self centring which is easier for use with a tank. I have also modded the 4 switches on the top so that all 4 are self returning and have long blades. I can recommend this set up for use with the IBU2, works great and the various functions like Cannon shoot and engine start/stop etc.... can be assigned to the switches.

You can always ask Ian at RC Tank Electronics I am sure he will answer any questions you have and can point you in the right direction.
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

Thanks Guys. Alpha the turning on my tiger is rubbish as it seems all or nothing. Don't like turning slowly at all. Scalawag I've already got a 6ch 40 meg set knocking around.
Problem im having I cant get the dam caps off the centre of the drive wheel.tried everything but they aint moving. Im hoping I don't have to break them off. They are alloy I think.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Leon,

Did you try taking the idlers off instead ? The drive sprocket hub cap should only be pressured push in so it should come out at some point. You should also consider switching to magnets once you have the Tiger opened up. It will save you tons of time when you start playing with the inside.....

Failing that, you can pull track pins and tyake the track apart instead.

MichaelC
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

Hi Micheal
Got the drive sprocket off but still cant get the bloody track past the idle wheel at the back. No idea what is holding the idle wheel on cos all my allan keys wont fit it so im on the verge of slinging it back in the box. Problem is if I do it wont see the light of days again for years and i'll just turn to my KV1S. Not impressed with this so far at all. Track pins look like they are in for good but will give them a try

Return to “HL Tiger 1”