Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
tamworthleon
Recruit

Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Post by tamworthleon »

I was wondering is there anyway of slowing down a Heng Long Tiger while turning? This super spin is stupid and if I can I wish to do away with it. Seems on carpet getting it to turn slowly is impossible.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Post by jarndice »

Tam Hi, The best way to improve the handling is of course going to cost money!!!! I would suggest an IBU2 board, Tankbear is the man to talk to about getting one. or there is the Clark board, both of these boards are plug and play, the difference between one of these and the RX18 is amazing, the old sound always reminds me of a wind up car, with one of these other boards, every thing is massively improved and that includes getting rid of superspin, it does of course mean as well as a new board you will need a new transmitter and receiver, (about £50 on E-BAY for a 6 channel Turnigy 6xs 2.4 GHz )Talk to someone with an IBU2 board in a Tiger and you won't stop them telling you how brilliant it is. Highly recommended and Tankbear being a member of this Forum helps, and he will go out of his way to help you. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

tamworthleon wrote:I was wondering is there anyway of slowing down a Heng Long Tiger while turning? This super spin is stupid and if I can I wish to do away with it. Seems on carpet getting it to turn slowly is impossible.
Like Shaun mentions changing the electronics will vastly improve the drive control. But I believe the problem with the Tiger is a combination of gearboxes and large drive wheel making the Tiger a fast but not very powerful tank, also the motors are cheap so slow and not powerful. So I would recommend swapping to black metal 3:1 gearboxes, this will slow the tank down but improve the power and control. I also take a further step and change the motors to some quality speed 400 motors (Graupner ones are great) this further improves torque and power to aid controlled driving specially at slow speeds.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Hi Leon,

I can second what both previous posts have said.

I have an IBU2 in a tiger and Jarndice is absolutely right it is great.

I also think Tankbears suggestion is important too though as even with a new control board the high speed low torque problem with the Tiger is likely to still be there until you change out the gearboxes. My Tigers have the Black steel 3-1 boxes and these are great, quiet and durable. I am still using the stock motors at the moment, but now Tankbear has me thinking now about swapping them out for a set of speed 400s.
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

Thanks guys sounds like the IBU2 and the gearbox is the way to go. I knew it would cost me but thats life lol. How much am i looking at for the lot Tankbear?
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

scalawag wrote: I am still using the stock motors at the moment, but now Tankbear has me thinking now about swapping them out for a set of speed 400s.
I also recommend running in the motors before installation. Run them both in series directly from a battery so each motor is getting 3.6v 1 hour or more each direction.

It sounds a bit extreme but I'm using tanks where I changed motors a year ago with only 15minutes running in and they feel a lot stronger now than before just with use.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Thanks for the tip Ian, :thumbup:

can I ask where do you get your speed 400s from?
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

tamworthleon wrote:Thanks guys sounds like the IBU2 and the gearbox is the way to go. I knew it would cost me but thats life lol. How much am i looking at for the lot Tankbear?
Just do it in stages. First the black metal gearboxes from welsh dragon models or Forgebear. You might find this is enough for you if not more powerful motors. And then if that still not good enough change the electronics.

I know this hobby can be expensive and new people read and see what others do to they tanks on the forum but that doesn't mean it is right for your tank. Kid in a sweet shop spring to mind but we've all been there.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

scalawag wrote:Thanks for the tip Ian, :thumbup:

can I ask where do you get your speed 400s from?
I'm on phone at moment so will post a few links when back at my computer.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

cheers mate, appreciate it.

Return to “HL Tiger 1”