how to fix play in tiger turret

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
d170sam
Private

how to fix play in tiger turret

Post by d170sam »

Hello all, I've been through the search function but I can't find any suggestions on how to reduce the play between the turret and body of my taigen tiger, it moves around quite a bit and I wondered if there are any fixes to reduce this? many thanks
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: how to fix play in tiger turret

Post by ALPHA »

d170sam wrote:Hello all, I've been through the search function but I can't find any suggestions on how to reduce the play between the turret and body of my taigen tiger, it moves around quite a bit and I wondered if there are any fixes to reduce this? many thanks
Hello di70sam

So sorry did a double post :{ ... editing this one ... read the reply below :haha:

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

d170sam wrote:Hello all, I've been through the search function but I can't find any suggestions on how to reduce the play between the turret and body of my taigen tiger, it moves around quite a bit and I wondered if there are any fixes to reduce this? many thanks
That's an easy one :D

Take off the black turret ring so you can see how much play you have... If you have an automotive lifter feeler gauge ... stick it in the gap if you want and exact measurement

you can either buy sheet plastic ... or just use the plastic from a blister pack....cut them in appropriate thicknesses about an inch in length...(I don't recommend you go any longer..as you will have difficulty holding them in place while the glue sets ..and you might get uneven bulges ...causing your turret to bind )... and super glue the to either the outer circle on the turret... or the inner circle of the hull ...three to four points should be sufficient on either not both perimeters

making them slightly thicker...will also raise the turret for better clearance .... I opt for a paper cutter to do that... as the straight edge is easier to accomplish
There might be a better way... but that's how a scrub newbie like me does it ;) ... :D

ALPHA
The Tank Man
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Tank Man »

Hi he's rite the plastic card works well! You can get plastcard from your local model shop or on eBay!
My way is to buy a very thin sheet of plastcard about 0.5mm thick and then use a compass cutter to cut a circle out the exact size of the turret ring! Then simply glue the newly cut plastic ring to the top of the hull or if you don't want to cut away the lip on the hull then glue to the underneath of the hull job done ;)
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening,
I use self-adhesive plastic dot 'Glides' available in Hardware stores. The are super smooth on top and the turret will actually glide to a halt like it is on bearings. They raise the turret just a hair yet the gear still engages solidly and also aid with clearance. Here are a couple of pics of them on my last build.
regards,
Painless Wolf
Attachments
Eight is even better.JPG
If three is good.JPG
Basic Tamiya roller layout.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Evening,
I use self-adhesive plastic dot 'Glides' available in Hardware stores. The are super smooth on top and the turret will actually glide to a halt like it is on bearings. They raise the turret just a hair yet the gear still engages solidly and also aid with clearance. Here are a couple of pics of them on my last build.
regards,
Painless Wolf
Seems there are a lot of mind readers here.. I was just about to mention a similar solution... leather from and old boot... and felt
but I think yours is better Painless :D

ALPHA

Return to “HL Tiger 1”