5:1 Gearbox Problems

This board contains easy-to-do fixes on your new tanks from stock. This will hopefully help beginners to get the accuracy they want from their models.
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace
Recruit

5:1 Gearbox Problems

Post by LasvoochTheTiger1Ace »

Hey guys, I just recently bought some Taigen 5:1 steel gearboxes for my Taigen metal early tiger 1. Unfortunately, they give it almost no torque at all! What should I do? Keep in mind I cannot return the GBs.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 5:1 Gearbox Problems

Post by Estnische »

OK. Good morning and welcome. How are you?

So when you signed into the forum, there were some rules and guidelines. One of them was introduce yourself and your interest in the hobby. I am not a moderator, but I have jumped in so you will realise you may get a rather blunt response to your two posts so far.

Please try the introduction section and you will likely get better responses.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Estnische wrote:OK. Good morning and welcome. How are you?

So when you signed into the forum, there were some rules and guidelines. One of them was introduce yourself and your interest in the hobby. I am not a moderator, but I have jumped in so you will realise you may get a rather blunt response to your two posts so far.

Please try the introduction section and you will likely get better responses.
Mr Estnische, this is still your forum, we are all forum members, moderators or not, and if you don't like the way a new member is conducting himself, you are always welcome to speak out. The only difference between you and I, I have some forum controls at my fingertips while I take notice of the regular members ;)

Mr Lasvooch, it may be a good idea to pop along to the introductory section and tell us all a bit about yourself and how far along you are in this hobby.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

LasvoochTheTiger1Ace wrote:Hey guys, I just recently bought some Taigen 5:1 steel gearboxes for my Taigen metal early tiger 1. Unfortunately, they give it almost no torque at all! What should I do? Keep in mind I cannot return the GBs.
You could always pay attention and take note of all the good advice you received on RCuniverse for the same questions you've already asked more than once that I've just read.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Oh, no, it's all good. I was merely trying to help out a newbie, as to why there may not have been any responses. Didn't want to seem like I was setting the rules.
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace
Recruit

Post by LasvoochTheTiger1Ace »

Sorry fellas, just starting out on this forum and I did not even realize that there was a intro. section. I will get right on that! :D
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

One thing you will find is that '5:1' unfortunately does not refer to the drive ratio. Somewhere on here is a chart referring to the actual ratio. e.g. in order they go 4:1 - 5:1 - 3:1. Changing out the motors may help give you extra grunt, but care has to be taken that you don't overheat your control board.

I haven't gone down that road so hopefully some of the other members might help with advice.
Lo_Thar
Lance Corporal

Post by Lo_Thar »

Taigen dont make 5:1 ratio gearboxes. Only 3:1 and 4:1
Maybe you buy this:

https://www.rctank.de/Tigre-I-51-PRO-st ... hort-axles

I have it in my panzer 3 and they dont have enought power in grass to turn ;) - so in tiger probably they have not enought power in grass to move forward
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Perhaps he’s referring to these.
These are Taigen branded gearboxes that shipped with my metal hull. They were listed as 5:1.
For some reason I didn’t like them and switched to Taigen 4:1. Now DKLM makes my tank go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Lo_Thar wrote:Taigen dont make 5:1 ratio gearboxes. Only 3:1 and 4:1
Maybe you buy this:

https://www.rctank.de/Tigre-I-51-PRO-st ... hort-axles

I have it in my panzer 3 and they dont have enought power in grass to turn ;) - so in tiger probably they have not enought power in grass to move forward
Taigen does make those gearboxes, but Imex doesn't carry them.

Jimster, the boxes in the photo on the box you show are 3:1 gear boxes. Have you got a photo of the actual gearboxes themselves? The 5:1 look completely different. Have you seen the video I did about this?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Things to fix on your new tank”