Taigen Tiger 1 Tires on Metal Rims: How To

This board contains easy-to-do fixes on your new tanks from stock. This will hopefully help beginners to get the accuracy they want from their models.
gp100
Private

Taigen Tiger 1 Tires on Metal Rims: How To

Post by gp100 »

Okay,

so, here's the question fellow tankers.. I've got a Tiger 1 with metal road wheels.. The rubber tires need to be replaced on a few here and there.. But the rubber tires will not come off the metal rim.. Of course the road wheel has been removed from the tank, but just having a hard time changing the tires.. How the hell do you do this? Special tool required to stretch the tire? And how do you do the inner tire on road wheel that has three wheels?

Thanks to those more knowledgeable than I.. :thumbup:
I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure..
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Taigen Tiger 1 Tires on Metal Rims: How To

Post by Jimster »

Mine stretched right over the wheels with no trouble. Yours must be dried out and hardened or shrunk tight. Get a bag of replacement tires and get nasty with needle nose pliers or just cut the old ones off. May as well replace them all while your at it. The new ones will go on easily. While you have them off is the time to paint the wheels if necessary.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Aye, when I was painting my tiger up, I just removed the rubber by slipping them off, left the wheels on as I couldnt get them off, but the rubber rims came off with ease and went back on again just as easily.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

Got it figured out.. Stupid tires were glued to the wheel..
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

gp100 wrote:Got it figured out.. Stupid tires were glued to the wheel..
Glued !!! 8O ............no wonder you had trepidation's about getting them off the wheel.
You'll be away now mate.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:
gp100 wrote:Got it figured out.. Stupid tires were glued to the wheel..
Glued !!! 8O ............no wonder you had trepidation's about getting them off the wheel.
You'll be away now mate.
Yup. Looks like there was a bead of glue around the entire rim of the wheel.. That's why the tires were on so tight and wouldn't budge..
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It makes you wonder why they were ever glued in place at all,
I have never heard of a tyre coming off of a Tiger 1 wheel as they do not have anything to do with the traction of the Tank indeed they were proven to be of little value because solid steel wheels replaced them with the Tiger 1 late.
Until you said it was glue I had assumed it was wet paint. Very odd. :crazy:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

jarndice wrote:It makes you wonder why they were ever glued in place at all,
I have never heard of a tyre coming off of a Tiger 1 wheel as they do not have anything to do with the traction of the Tank indeed they were proven to be of little value because solid steel wheels replaced them with the Tiger 1 late.
Until you said it was glue I had assumed it was wet paint. Very odd. :crazy:
I agree.. I don't get it either.. from what I see, the tires don't actually do anything really. They are just there to keep the tracks aligned since the tracks run in the grooves of the wheels.. That's all they do really.. They don't provide any traction effort at all..

I was able to replace the tires by using a small x-acto knife to cut off the old tires. Then after cleaning the metal wheel, it was very easy to put new tires on. No glue of course.

I have no clue as to what type of glue that was used. But it was like concrete on there with a very good bond.. There was no way to remove that tire unless you cut it off with a blade.. Very good glue obviously.. Very solid stuff..
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Well I've been considering glueing on the Trumpeter T34 tires that come from the static kits. They aren't as rubbery as the ones that come with the R/C wheels so they spin on the rims once installed. Something like ShoeGoo would work just to keep them from moving around the rims I think. ShoeGoo would come off easily when needed.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If I want to glue something that I might want to move later i use "Loctite 243" thread lock.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Things to fix on your new tank”