• Advertisement
Ludwigs

HL Sherman Tank - Crimped/kinked Smoke tubing.

This board contains easy-to-do fixes on your new tanks from stock. This will hopefully help beginners to get the accuracy they want from their models.

Postby Tread Flintstone » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:46 am

My new HL Sherman Tank didn't have a lot of smoke coming out of it, and the rear lights stopped working. I opened up the tank (easy--4 screws) and found the rear light plug simply came out of the control board. So after plugging the lights back in I noticed both exhaust smoke tubes were badly crimped and kinked...I'm talking at least 90% blockage!

I happened to have extra tubing on hand from a small pump and cut longer lengths and reinstalled the tubing on both sides of the smoke pump. Problem was solved and the tank produces a good volume of smoke now! Now when a new tank arrives the first thing I do is open it up and check the tubing and connections just to see if all is OK.
Tread Flintstone
Private

Postby silversurfer1947 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:08 am

Only 4 screws? That's a major change for HL.
silversurfer1947
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby jarndice » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:14 am

I hope You will not discover the renowned unreliability of Heng Long Smokers,
There is an alternative, The "Tarr Smoker" which is a much better bit of kit and is highly recommended.
Shaun.

jarndice
Lieutenant

Postby Tread Flintstone » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:44 pm

- Only the Sherman was 4 screws...but have to unscrew the battery hatch...a bit of a pain.
The Panther has 6 screws, but the battery hatch conveniently unclips with a spring loaded clip....no screw.

- I've heard about the smoker issues, but ordered some spares from www.banggood.com. They were only $5 with free shipping!

At some point will look into the Tarr smokers... :thumbup:
Tread Flintstone
Private

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Looks as if you made a great start with the Sherman. Very enterprising, and no shouts for assistance yet... :thumbup: I'd never really looked at Banggood in depth before, until your link peeked my curiosity. Their prices are really quite amazing and, notwithstanding the transport time, carriage charges are equally astonishingly cheap..as with this Jagdpanther:
https://www.banggood.com/Heng-Long-116- ... ewalsoview
It looks as if one can get a real bargain, with just a modicum of patience... :think: Is there a catch somewhere that eludes me? The website is also highly rated on Trust Pilot. If you trust Trust Pilot.
43rdRecceReg

Postby Tread Flintstone » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:09 pm

I've ordered many things from Banggood over the past few years with no problems including Rc planes. shipping is usually faster than anticipated. No catches...everything is always cheaper when ordering directly from China or Hong Kong.

From amazon.com I got the HL Tiger 1 with metal treads, gears, and drive wheels for $119 shipped! Banggood has similar deals.

Only thing I'd avoid there is the knockoff ipads and tablets...but a Heng Long tank is a Heng Long tank! :)

Look up Costzon and see if they ship overseas....I got all 3 tanks from there.

They call Heng Long tanks Costzon, but when the box arrives it's a HL!
Tread Flintstone
Private

Postby rampage » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:34 pm

I had a few issues with my HL Sherman out of the box too. The smoker was/still is one issue (both lines being severely crimped) but another issue was the turret traverse didn't work and the gun elevation/depression worked for about 5 seconds and then stopped. Also, something caused the left-hand drive motor to lock up.

So I opened her up. Yeah, just 4 quick screws. I was surprised too.

Drive motor was locked up because the gearbox had decided to make a snack out of the lead for the bow MG. So that bow MG LED is no longer functional.. I might rewire it later since I'll be doing a lot more internal work soon, but for now, not gonna bother with it.

Turret traverse was a simple fix. The black pin from the primary harness coming from the RX-18 was not seated into the plastic connector at all. So pulling the harness out and pushing the pin down until it snapped and reseating the harness resolved that issue.

Gun elevation/depression was the only really 'broken' part. Elevation/depression is handled by a wheel with a notch on one end, and that notch goes into a slider that's attached to the gun breach. It's held to the gun breach with 2 plastic pins, and apparently no glue. One of those pins broke and the slider had fallen off and was hanging out in the bottom of the hull. Easy fix once I figured out how the mechanism works.

I also found that out of the box the tracks were too tight. IT was causing undue compression on the forward-most and rear-most bogies and it looked silly. So I added an extra track link to both sides and now it's actually a much smoother, quieter-running tank. Not to mention it looks better without the suspension being compressed.

She's a great-running tank now! Though I would like to disable the track recoil, the neutral steer and get true proportional control.

Maybe I'll use a Tamiya MFU, or wait until HobbyKing gets more OpenPanzer boards.

rampage
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:I'd never really looked at Banggood in depth before, until your link peeked my curiosity. Their prices are really quite amazing and, notwithstanding the transport time, carriage charges are equally astonishingly cheap..as with this Jagdpanther:
It looks as if one can get a real bargain, with just a modicum of patience... :think: Is there a catch somewhere that eludes me? The website is also highly rated on Trust Pilot. If you trust Trust Pilot.

That's curious, I just looked at that link, looked through the pictures, one shows the 4th generation battery and charger, and another shows the 3rd generation controller, and nothing in the writing to indicate 4th?!

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner

Postby Tread Flintstone » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:I'd never really looked at Banggood in depth before, until your link peeked my curiosity. Their prices are really quite amazing and, notwithstanding the transport time, carriage charges are equally astonishingly cheap..as with this Jagdpanther:

That's curious, I just looked at that link, looked through the pictures, one shows the 4th generation battery and charger, and another shows the 3rd generation controller, and nothing in the writing to indicate 4th?!

Mick.

Well, don't depend on these sites to give latest descriptions...even if the product is the newest version. I am willing to bet you will get the latest tank version. My new version tanks still come with the old 72mhz/ 7.2 nicad / old button configuration instructions. Instructions even talk about changing frequency crystals :/ :lolno:
Tread Flintstone
Private

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:36 pm

That site also said old type battery and no charger, yet show a lipo charger lol.
Son of a gun-ner

Postby Tread Flintstone » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:44 am

The lipo and charger are total garbage. I have my own chargers. I did buy a quality 7.4 lipo, but find I am using my 3000mah Nimh.

I don't have to baby sit them while charging, don't have to worry about running them down too low, don't have to worry about letting them sit charged too long, and I usually just leave them in the tank and shut the switch off.

That's a lot more convenience and safety for just .2volts compromise. :)
Tread Flintstone
Private

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Tread Flintstone wrote:The lipo and charger are total garbage. I have my own chargers. I did buy a quality 7.4 lipo, but find I am using my 3000mah Nimh.

I don't have to baby sit them while charging, don't have to worry about running them down too low, don't have to worry about letting them sit charged too long, and I usually just leave them in the tank and shut the switch off.

That's a lot more convenience and safety for just .2volts compromise. :)

Totally agree :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner

Postby Jay-Em » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Simple trick to prevent smoker tubes from getting kinked: stick a length of .5 to 1mm metal wire in the tubing. The wire from big paper clips works fine.

It keeps enough of the tubink open, even if bent in rather extreme angles.

Jay-Em
Lance Corporal

Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Postby rampage » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:38 pm

I ordered a TARR Smoker Mk I and a bottle of diesel-scented Mega-Steam.

Looking forward to getting them!

rampage
Recruit

Postby Tread Flintstone » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:00 pm

silversurfer1947 wrote:Only 4 screws? That's a major change for HL.

As far as I can see only 4 screws for the Sherman since it is so much smaller than the other tanks. My other two tanks still have 6 screws. But on the Sherman...the battery door needs a screwdriver to open :-<

The other tanks have a nice spring loaded clip to access the battery.

Jay-Em....nice trick on the tubing, but mine was so badly crimped, it was much easier to replace with longer, softer, and more flexible tubing I just happened to have on hand. The replacement tubing was from a hand siphon I got from my hardware store when I had to siphon out fluid from my wife's car's windshield washer resorvoir. (Like an idiot, I grabbed the wrong bottle to fill it....two identical blue fluid gallon bottles sitting right next to each other on my garage shelf...one was washer fluid...the other was pressure washer cleaning fluid.) D'oh! :/
Tread Flintstone
Private

Postby philipat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Tread Flintstone wrote: I usually just leave them in the tank and shut the switch off.

I don't recommend leaving the battery in the tank unless you lift it so that the tracks don't touch the shelf or other surface. There have been instances where the board in the tank malfunctioned. What happened was it seemed to wake up, turn on, and drive off by itself for no apparent reason. That would be bad if the tank ran off a shelf or into something.

philipat
Corporal

Postby Tread Flintstone » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:20 am

I don't see how that is possible, since when I turn on the tank switch the lights just flash...waiting for me to turn on my tx and even then I still have to hit the bind switch.

The rx would have to fail on several levels for that to happen...

appreciate the help, but I think whoever posted that event was pulling some legs.
Tread Flintstone
Private

Return to Things to fix on your new tank