• Advertisement
Ludwigs

New HL Tiger 1 Stuck idler and hull damage?

This board contains easy-to-do fixes on your new tanks from stock. This will hopefully help beginners to get the accuracy they want from their models.

Postby foxtrotraptor » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I could use some help. Just bought a new HL Tiger 1 with the metal tracks upgrade. Luckly it came in one pice and almost al features work with the exception of 2 things. first off one side of the hull where it seperates the top portion from the bottom portion has come apart somehow, it appears they were held on by clips? but I am not able to put them back together. The other more major issue is that one of the rear Idler metal wheels is stuck. It wont turn with the tracks. It will only move when I apply pressue and more the tracks manually. Otherwise while in motion the tank moves but that idler remains stuck. Tank still moves but does lean to the left. I removed the wheel and lubircated the screw and put it back on. It moved for about 20 seconds then became stuck again. What do you guys suggest. Im assuing ill have to open her up and maybe see whats on the inside?

much appriciated.

foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:06 am

With the tank off the ground (4x2 block of wood, books etc..), so that the tracks are free to move; test the offending track, and idler. They should rotate fairly freely, when rotated through 360 deg. If not, look for any signs that the track is fouling the body, or even if the idler (upon visual inspection) is clear of the body. Look for any other obstructions. A tracked vehicle (and a car too, for that matter) will tend to pull to one side, or the other, if any rolling resistance is encountered on one side. It's also worth noting whether the wheels/ idler/ and Sprocket are properly aligned. If they aren't, then unwanted rolling resistance will occur.
Good luck, and do tell us more about yourself. :thumbup: It might be a good idea to post pics of the offending components, so that the more eagle-eyed Forum members might spot the problem.
43rdRecceReg
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby foxtrotraptor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:21 am

Awesome thank you so much. Ill give it a shot, I will also take some pictures when I get home from work to makes things easier. How would I know if they are properly aligned?

foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Postby foxtrotraptor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:07 am

Hmmmm this odd. So I put my tank up on blocks like you suggested. Ran it and the idler ran smoothly both sides absolutely no issues, no sign of abstruction. Not sure what to make of this.

foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Postby Jake79 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:21 am

You could try swapping the idlers around see if it makes any difference, put the right on the left.
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby foxtrotraptor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:26 am

Thanks jake, I'll give it another test drive in the morning. I also need to figure out a way to post pictures so you guys can see the hull issue I'm having

foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Postby Jake79 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:32 am

I use Imgur, go onto the imgur site.

Press upload pic
Choose pic from you pc
Click edit pic
Resize it, I normally go for 1000
Click on the copy for forum's on side of page
Paste it here on your thread.
Done :thumbup:
Jake79

Postby foxtrotraptor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:30 pm

https://i.imgur.com/LUPuaaj.jpg

I think this is correct?

foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Postby forgebear » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:00 pm

hi i see the problem you have a warp plastic base if you take the track off on the underside you will see a hole to fix a screw in that will pull that hull up again i guess it has not got one in there dave
forgebear

Postby Jake79 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:12 pm

foxtrotraptor wrote:https://i.imgur.com/LUPuaaj.jpg

I think this is correct?

Halfway there mate, you posted link instead of pic. In the future if you go back to your saved pic in imgur click on it, on your right hand side theres a few options. Click on the forums one, copy then paste here..then the pic should come up not the link.
Jake79

Postby foxtrotraptor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Ok I think I got this correct now :lolno:

foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Postby foxtrotraptor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Here is a video I just recorded of my idler problem. I WAS working fine for about 10 min then it started to lock up again.

phpBB [video]

foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:13 am

Well that bit of sagging bodywork looks like it could interfere with the track movement, but not enough to lock the idler. It almost looks as if the model has been damaged in transit. Normally, the upper and lower hulls are bonded by screws and
interlocking tabs. Quite why yours is sagging like that, I don't know. Only dismantling it would answer that one. I'd be inclined to contact the vendor before dissecting the beast, if I were you...because the Tiger shouldn't look like that.
If you choose not to contact the vendor, take heart from the fact that the tank is repairable. It's not a great start to the hobby, but it'll certainly be an instructive one.
43rdRecceReg

Postby foxtrotraptor » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:29 am

Thank you 43rdRecceReg. Ive contacted the Ebay Vendor. Apparently they are located in Califonia since it shipped from a city near by but I have a feeling their customer service is in China,they are also taking a long time answering back. Their first response asked me to provide them with a video so they can see what the problem is and how they can "help" me, Im not eactly sure how to send them a video since its through the ebay sytem. I did send the vendor the 2 pictures you see above, I am currently waiting for them to respond. Hopfully they just ask for me to return it. Other wise yes Ill have to open it up and see what I can do to fix it :(

foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Postby Aussie » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:51 am

Take the idler wheel off , sand the mating surfaces smooth , add a TINY amount of grease to the mating surfaces , and don't overtighten the screw on reassembly. Make sure the metal washer is in between the hull and idler wheel.
Remove all 6 screws holding the upper and lower hulls together and see what the drama is re the gap , looks like something simple.
There's plenty of tutes on here showing both these missions.

Aussie
Corporal

Postby foxtrotraptor » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:01 am

Thanks Aussie, Im going to start on that tomorrow, It looks like its not even worth returning to the seller since I have to pay shipping. Ill stat on this and see how it goes. Thanks for the help Ill keep yo guys updated.

foxtrotraptor
Lance Corporal

Postby Aussie » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:35 am

No worries mate , good luck and I hope all goes well.

Aussie
Corporal

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:01 am

Best of luck sorting it out mate, also a good idea to have your tracks a bit loose, and ensure the washer is in place on the idler with a spot of grease.
The metal idler should shoulder-up onto the mount, with the washer in place, with the bolt/screw tight, and only allow a tiny bit of slop.
The idler wheel should be able to be taken apart depending on its breed, so this may be a necessary option as well.
HERMAN BIX
Captain

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:33 am

If my memory serves me correct, the idler may be metal coloured, but it's really plastic and the two halves are glued together with the screw trapped inside.
When you take the idler off (I believe with a Philips screwdriver, not pozi), you should notice a small brass bush that the screw passes out of. This screw has a smooth shank with a smaller diameter thread than this shank. So it's easy to notice there is a shoulder where the threaded portion meets the shank, or axle portion. If you hold the idler on its side so the screw/axle completely falls out the hole, gently pull down on the threaded part and look to see if the shoulder/end of non threaded part protrudes slightly past the bush like it should.
Because when you tighten up the screw to fit the wheel on, this shoulder should sit against the small washer thus producing the the free wheeling axle effect.
Without the washer the screw would pull the shoulder into the plastic causing a jam. There is also a possibility the axle portion was manufactured too short or the bush too long, or the hole in the bush is too big causing the idler to try and twist on the axle.
I'm guessing that when you have the Tiger up on blocks there is less load pulling on the idler, but when you try to drive the tank, with all the weight of it there is more force trying to pull the idler forward, and without the proper clearances or too big a hole in the bush the the idler is locking against the plastic mount on the chassis.
I say this because I've had idler problems with three of my tanks, funny enough, all my tigers lol.
As for the body, someone please remind me, doesn't the standard HL tiger one sort of clip together at the front to help locate the two halves before you screw it together? I ask this because it looks like the two halves are not located correctly. Or something inside is trapped between the internal screw post, something I've done when putting a tank together.
I've had various silly little things wrong with my tanks like sticking track links, caused by paint and flash, bits not attached property. All things easily remedied. I still like them, they are cheap and cheerful, with lots of scope, if all tanks were perfect and catered for everybody, how boring would the build section on this forum be, and how limited would this hobby be.

I hope this is helpful. And doesn't put you off, and you enjoy your tank, and many more to come.

Mick.

P.S. the Heng-Long over glueing monkeys sometimes double as over tightening monkeys too.
Son of a gun-ner

Postby 971wright » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi to get the hull back in shape use a hair dryer and gently heat area and pry it back in shape ,don't over do it a little at a time and it should go back to correct position. For the idler make sure there is a washer fitted also make sure the idler has a chamfer to the front edge of the hole the screw holding it normally has a radius under the head which holds it and can make the idler bind.

regards pete

971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Things to fix on your new tank