HL Chally 2 upgrade advice needed

This board contains easy-to-do fixes on your new tanks from stock. This will hopefully help beginners to get the accuracy they want from their models.
T9FURY
Recruit

HL Chally 2 upgrade advice needed

Post by T9FURY »

Hey all just thought I would pose some questions about upgrading my fourth coming HL Challenger 2 in desert camo. I just ordered it and it should be with me next Tuesday. Anyway after looking at loads of You Tube vids I decided that I will be upgrading it more or less straight away. Here is what I am planning.

WEATHERED LOOK
Although it is supposed to be classed as weathered I think it still looks plastic and toyish, plus I have ordered the ultimate edition so it has all the metal tracks, road wheels drive and sprockets, so I think I will be repainting it for the realistic weathered look. I will also be adding camo nets, crew backpacks and things like that.

Next is what I would like some advice on please.

1/16 Equipment
Does anyone know of anywhere that does 1/16 scale equipment packs, prefereably British or near as dammit, I have searched and search and can only find WWII figures and things like barb wire and such.

Electronic Upgrade[/]
I'll want the sounds and recoil to be more realistic so I would upgrade the board if necessary. Again from all the vids I have watch and the following is what I would look to improve

- Sounds, the stock sounds, main gun, Coax, turret motion and engine, are rubbish so would I need to upgrade the board for a better quality one or is it just a matter of getting hold of better sounds?

- Recoil System, again looking at most stock recoil systems on RC tanks they are not realistic, too slow, is there a decent recoil system out on the market that can give a faster recoil?

- Battle IR system, I presume even though my HL CH2 is a BB system I will be able to upgrade it with a IR battle system, this upgrade isn't definite. This will depend on whether any club I join take part is this sort of thing.

- Smoke, If I am correct I can upgrade the smoke generator so that it runs more in line with the engine, I think it is called proportional engine control or something, more advice on this would be nice as I have probably misunderstood this.

- ELECTRONIC UPGRADE - Here is what I was looking at

I was looking at either the Clark boards or Elmod boards, or any other decent equivalent, but need some advice on the differences between each versions, still researching this bit. For example what is the difference between the Clark TK 22 and TK 24? I have visited their site and can only really see a comparison chart saying yes no etc. With the Elmod site there isn't even a chart.

Any advice on some decent speakers would be good as well as I presume the stock ones are low quality tinny sound ones.

HANDSET
On Tank Zone, they recommend upgrading any stock handsets with the Clark TK 22 and Futaba 4YWD, now I am thinking this might be just a sales ploy so some advice on this would be nice. Is and upgrade necessary? What is so special about the Futaba 4YWD handset? Does it comes with some extra functionality?

Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give and feel free to offer up some other upgrades not mentioned above.

Mick - T9
jarndice
Colonel

Re: HL Chally 2 upgrade advice needed

Post by jarndice »

Mick Hi, Welcome to the Forum, :thumbup: :clap: :wave:
If you go to ---
www.rctankelectronics.com
Your problems with sound and recoil as well as Infra red can all be addressed by installing an IBU2 or an IBU3 control board,
The "3" is more computer dependant for set up, the IBU2 is pretty much read the instructions and then Plug and Play.
Ian (Tankbear) is the hero behind the dealership and is a valued member of this Forum and his pre and post sales help is legendary,
He is also a supplier of the "TARR" smoke system and he can provide you with a Transmitter/Receiver that is preloaded with Tank Software rather than the Aircraft/Helicopter software usually found on a transmitter,
Trust me it improves tank driving/Fighting beyond bounds.
Keep asking the questions we thrive on them.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

T9FURY wrote:For example what is the difference between the Clark TK 22 and TK 24?
For Chally 2 sound I believe it is only available on Tk-24. From a functionality point of view, I believe Tk-24 sound sets can be programmed, and it also has 2 different MG sound as well as clutch function (i.e. You have to clutch before the tank will move, otherwise engine will just rev.)

MichaelC.
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

Here is a little info on the Clark TK60 ( latestet Board after the TK24) since it was mentioned .
the different between the tk22-24 and the 60 is first of all huge step up in the sound Department.
from 1,13 you can hear the lates sound for the Challenger 2 ( on my home made speaker Box)
phpBB [video]

Also the G2 vers of the card now have Gun Barrel Stabilizer ability.

phpBB [video]

Atm I Stock only the TK60 ( not the G2)

other features mentioned is the 'revup' ( tank standstill )
is has a 15w onboard amp
Support air-soft gun with sound synchronization
Support TAMIYA 1/16,  TAMIYA 1/35, VStank and HL IR battle unit and format
Support RealRecoil servo port
Support elevation servo port Support gun barrel stabilizer  
Safety shutoff prevents unwanted movement while signal lost Auto R/C signal detection
Support 3S Li-Po battery  
Miniature design(92mm X 52.3mm X 25mm)

It's not a 100% plugg and play , some wires moving is required , if inteded to use in tamiya etc.
Drammen Rock City
maxmekker

Post by maxmekker »

Another thing, is that the TK 60( and other boards to ) Support the use of PDSGB gearboxes
14695386_10153740601616582_3954242512597800467_n.jpg
14695386_10153740601616582_3954242512597800467_n.jpg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Drammen Rock City
T9FURY
Recruit

Post by T9FURY »

Wow, choices choices choices :/.
First, thanks for the input it's muchly appreciated. So...... here is what I was looking at then, questions at the end;

CONTROLLER BOARD
Elmod Fusion Pro - £180
IBU3 - £175
Clark TK22 / TK22G2 - £75-80 / £195
Clark TK24 / TK24G2 - £99 / Special order
Clark TK60G2 - £240 Special Order

Now, I think the Elmod and IBU is going to be a no go for the reason being, on the Clark G2 series they have the vertical and horizontal gun stabilization and the engine deck detection and that really appealed to me, it seems as though . If it was a WWII tank I was getting it wouldn't have bothered me. Now here is the dilemma, the sound pack, I can't see a sound pack for the Challenger 2 on any G2 series boards, and I don't think you can install them unless you have the unit upgraded with the TK60 software package. Now if I get a TK22/24G2 upgraded with the TK60 software package the chances are it will cost as much as the TK60G2 anyway ???
Now out of the TK22G2 and the TK24G2, the TK22G2 is looking like the favourite, looking at Clark's comparison chart

Does anyone know when / if the gun stabilization on the IBU3 is going to be implemented?

http://www.clark-model.com/eng/index_e.html

The TK24 series doesn't have the Recoil Support Unit, so basically I think that means no recoil, can anyone confirm this? Nor does it come with an AUZ power / motor control, not sure sure if that is important. The second MG sound I am not bothered about.

HANDSETS
Obviously I can just keep going with the transmitter that comes with the Chally kit, what is confusing me though is the how many channels will I need? question. I always though the amount of channels a transmitter has dictates how many controls you have on your model, so a 2 channel would control steering and froward reverse movement, so how can a 4 channel transmitter control a tank with so many functions, movement, turret, smoke controller, main gun etc. I think the box standard HL transmitter is a 4 channel one, but when I researched the controller boards I came across something that said I would need a 5th channel, I think it was something to do with audio channels, you can put a second sound on another channel so that two sounds playing simultaneously don't interrupt each other or something along those lines. Can anyone elaborate on this? I think I remember a vid where someone had the engine running on their tank and fired the gun and the engine sound stopped and then started again once the gun fire finished.

For example I was looking at the Turnigy 9XR pro and it said it supports up to 24 channels, I mean WTH!!!!!! What on earth would I do with 24 channels? Is there any sort of list examples of the things you can do with such a multi channel transmitter? Also on that 9XR pro it says it comes without a module, what does the module do? It seems as though there are two types of module that can be bought for it.

Apologies for all the questions, seems as though the more research I do the more Q's get thrown up.

T9
Mick
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Mick Hi, First of all,
If you fit an aftermarket board such as the CLARK or the ASP or the ELMOD or the IBU2/3, Then your Heng Long Transmitter is redundant because the TAIGEN, HENG LONG and TORRO Transmitters use a closed circuit which won't readily work with other control boards,
The RC Australia Shop sold an adapter a little while back that made the Heng Long Transmitter compatible with an after market board but I don't know if it is still available try ---
http://www.rctanksaustralia.com
and click on E-Shop.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
maxmekker

Post by maxmekker »

the tk60 is priced at 170$(about 150£) at the moment ( introduction price ) but will soon raise to 200$

the tk60 G2 is currently 259 ( soon to be 279 ) $ Including :
TK60G2 board*1,
Receiver Cable *8
GBS unit*1
Engine Deck Switch*1
1.27mm 2P cable *5
gbs_3.jpg
ATM I only stock the TK60, and not the G2 .

Also , I only have 1 tk24(with tk60 software) besides the the stock of TK60 I have, so I cannot compare the the 3 ( 22-24-60) for you , but defo
the tk24 ore the 60 will give you best sound experiense ( you saw challenger sound clip I posted ?) , Leaving the tk22 in the dust

the tk 60 series comes with 6ch setup as of now, and soon a 8 ch software will be released, making use of more switches and knobs
gb4_3.jpg
Drammen Rock City
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

maxmekker wrote:the tk60 is priced at 170$(about 150£) at the moment ( introduction price ) but will soon raise to 200$

TK60G2 board*1,
Receiver Cable *8
GBS unit*1
Engine Deck Switch*1
1.27mm 2P cable *5
gbs_3.jpg

Also , I only have 1 tk24(with tk60 software) besides the the stock of TK60 I have, so I cannot compare the the 3 ( 22-24-60) for you , but defo
the tk24 ore the 60 will give you best sound experiense ( you saw challenger sound clip I posted ?) , Leaving the tk22 in the dust

the tk 60 series comes with 6ch setup as of now, and soon a 8 ch software will be released, making use of more switches and knobs
gb4_3.jpg
Hi Max what is the tk60 G2? What are the features In comparison to the tk60? I see the picture of the small deck switch

Thanks -Carl
maxmekker wrote:the tk60 is priced at 170$(about 150£) at the moment ( introduction price ) but will soon raise to 200$

TK60G2 board*1,
Receiver Cable *8
GBS unit*1
Engine Deck Switch*1
1.27mm 2P cable *5
gbs_3.jpg

gb4_3.jpg
Tanks alot.... :wave:
maxmekker

Post by maxmekker »

The 'G2' is the one aimed towards use in Modern tanks . No problem using the 'TK60' in modern to, but is has not the gun barrel stabilizer feature as the G2 unit

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Drammen Rock City

Return to “Things to fix on your new tank”