Anyone use Micro Sol Setting Solution and Micro Set Setting

This board contains easy-to-do fixes on your new tanks from stock. This will hopefully help beginners to get the accuracy they want from their models.
Bluehen Tanker
Recruit

Anyone use Micro Sol Setting Solution and Micro Set Setting

Post by Bluehen Tanker »

Hi,

I recently bought some water slide decals by Peddinghaus for my Tiger I. I am wondering if anyone has used use Micro Sol Setting Solution and Micro Set Setting Soluition?

I've never used these products and just wanted to get some opionios before I ordered it.

thanks,
Wes
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Anyone use Micro Sol Setting Solution and Micro Set Sett

Post by ALPHA »

Bluehen Tanker wrote:Hi,

I recently bought some water slide decals by Peddinghaus for my Tiger I. I am wondering if anyone has used use Micro Sol Setting Solution and Micro Set Setting Soluition?

I've never used these products and just wanted to get some opionios before I ordered it.

thanks,
Wes
I used to use it when I was into Trains...good stuff...especially if the decals aren't that great...if the decals are of good quality you really shouldn't need it ...but if they are sketchy like the ones you use for trains well.............it's almost a necessity :shifty:

ALPHA
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

I use it all the time when I get lazy and use decals instead of stencils and an airbrush. It even works on the rub on decals that you get with HL

The most recent use with HL rub on decals and micro sol...
ZTZ99A 5.JPG
ZTZ99A 5.JPG (46.52 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you are using water slide decals then they are essential, if you use the fluids correctly the decals look as though they are painted on, What you must remember is after you have used the second bottle you MUST LEAVE THE DECAL ALONE!!! It will look at first like something awful is happening BUT if you go off and have a cup of coffee you will see when you come back PERFECTION! :thumbup:
A tip,I always write the number "1" on the Microset bottle top and "2" on the MicroSOL bottle top. so that I know which bottle to use first.
You will be told to apply the decals to a smooth surface before applying waterslide decals.BUT
if you use Microset and Microsol you can apply the decals directly to a Matte surface BUT do use a lot of solution first.

shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

I agree with Shaun. I use it whenever I'm doing decal work especially when applying to other than a very smooth surface. I try to use Tamiya decals when I can but have found it works with inferior decals as well.
Joe
Bluehen Tanker
Recruit

Post by Bluehen Tanker »

I used the Micro Sol setting and Micro Set solution this weekend during the snowstorm and the decals came out pretty good. I need steadier hands but I am pretty happy.

Thanks for all the replies!
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

I've used it on custom made decals printed on Scopa and Bare Metal Foil decal paper (both inkjet and laser versions, clear and white). For the custom inkjet decals, these are kinda thick especially using the Scopa decal paper, as I give the decal a clear gloss AND a brush of Microscale decal fluid, hence the resulting thicker decal.

NONE of that is an issue using MicroSet and MicroSol. It makes these thick custom decals thin and adhere well. My only issue is that some custom decals tend to curl up and not adhering to the surface despite using MicroSet and MicroSol, but that is more to do with the water I use (not warm enough) and the initial prep work on making the decal. A simple solution was using diluted white glue to prevent or remedy curled decals, and judicious MicroSol to make it adhere.

Results are splendid, with custom made decals looking like they've been painted on. Examples:

Return to “Things to fix on your new tank”