Scratch build Tiger 2 Part 1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
walter
Sergeant

Re: Scratch build Tiger 2 Part 1

Post by walter »

Kostyanchik stating that Taigen 5:1 gear box motors may not have enough torque made me somewhat worried. The nature of the Taigen gear boxes is it does not allow to use bigger motors. I found 3:1 where to fast and 4:1 would not fit being to high. So I found the Taigen 5:1 ideal for what I wonted. At the time I drove the tank on level ground only, it did not occur to me to do a climbing test. Now belatedly I did. To my very surprise the 15kg tank went up a 30 deg. ramp without hesitation . I thought that was a wonderful out come and let you folks on the forum know.
Walter
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

walter wrote:Kostyanchik stating that Taigen 5:1 gear box motors may not have enough torque made me somewhat worried. The nature of the Taigen gear boxes is it does not allow to use bigger motors. I found 3:1 where to fast and 4:1 would not fit being to high. So I found the Taigen 5:1 ideal for what I wonted. At the time I drove the tank on level ground only, it did not occur to me to do a climbing test. Now belatedly I did. To my very surprise the 15kg tank went up a 30 deg. ramp without hesitation . I thought that was a wonderful out come and let you folks on the forum know.
Walter
Elevation change isn't such an issue, it's running on grass that puts the most strain on a tank. Something like the dklm or ETO armour gearbox would be a good fit for your tank.
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

Here you are there is allays a new twist, driving through grass and I just mowed my lawn. Well that test will have to wait a bit.I looked at the dklm and ETO gear boxes . They are just ideal. But not so ideal are their costs. With shipping and handling I would not expect to get much change out of 500 AUD. And where is the fun and satisfaction of tinkering and making things. I also came across gear boxes from Modellspiegel. They look just as impressive and are some what cheaper. But the good thing is they also sell the gear boxes in its individual parts. That of coarse opens new possibilities.
Walter
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

In my last post I mentioned Modellspiegel is selling individual parts of their gear boxes. Wrong I sent them a email inquiring to purchase some gear box parts. Even so the web site gives you the impression they do. But to my disappointment I was informed they only sell gear boxes fully assembled.
Dklm,ETO and Modellspiegel are without any doubt top class gear boxes. But just not so affordable.
Walter
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

Seeing Kostyanchik making a planetary gear box, inspired me again having a go making my own gear box on the bevel gear principal.
I already found 4 bevel gears with modul 1 and 15 teeth for a shaft diameter of 6mm on the internet for $ 14.40 AUD.
Also 2 geared motors 30 rpm for 6 to 12 volt for $ 20.60 AUD .Will post a building report when finished.
Walter
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

Here are my latest gear boxes installed
Attachments
IMG_20180814_104243 (Small).jpg
IMG_20180814_104243 (Small).jpg (93.06 KiB) Viewed 3792 times
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

I moved the speakers to the back of the tank. I found it increases the sound quite a bit.
Attachments
IMG_20181112_122958 (Small).jpg
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

And the battery is now up font.
Attachments
IMG_20181113_172254 (Small).jpg
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

It amazes me every time I work on my tank I always find something that can be improved.
The last time I had it apart I anodized all the aluminium parts and am quite pleased with it.
I do not think I will paint it.
Walter
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I think I asked you if you would have it anodized a while back, sadly my post is now gone.
I think it is a good choice to have it anodized :thumbup: looks far too good to paint :clap:

Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Other Builds”