Tiger Tank Owner's Workshop Manual

Please post useful reference books that you may have here. Please give a short description with each link.
tanks_for_the_memory
Sergeant

Tiger Tank Owner's Workshop Manual

Post by tanks_for_the_memory »

Tiger Manual small.jpg
Tiger Manual small.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Just received this book, fresh out from the Tank Museum. It has the makings of an instant classic.

The title (and cover) are a playful take on the Haynes Manual format (for non-Brits a long-standing publisher of under-the-bonnet car guides) but this is actually a lovingly written history of the Tiger with a particular focus on the well-known tank which was captured intact in Tunisia and now resides in their collection - so literally an owners manual!

The photos alone are eye-popping: plenty of interior shots and others with the vehicle in various states of dis-assembly (some making it look for all the world like a half finished model). Of course, because this has been put out by the museum there were no restrictions with access.

If, like me, there are corners of the tank that you still haven't quite seen from the right angle or unresolved questions then there's likely to be an answer here. For example I wasn't quite sure how thick the internal rim of the loaders hatch should be - there's a great shot of it here. There's even a close up of one of the original padlocks from the stowage bin! [OK, so maybe that is getting a little close to rivet counting...]

There are also some fascinating side bars - e.g. how to paste zimmerit on to the real thing (a restored Stug III).

I cannot recommend this highly enough...
My Mid-Production Normandy Tiger 1 build thread: http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =22&t=8350
Wolftone
Lance Corporal

Re: Tiger Tank Owner's Workshop Manual

Post by Wolftone »

Well worth checking out Hayne's manuals as they are expanding their range of these type of book's. I have their Spitfire one & have this Tiger one ordered. Hopefully there will be more tank manuals to come soon. It was well worth the look on my local car accessory dealer's face when i asked him for one & then found it in the Hayne's listings...
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

got mine yesterday , great book
ice
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Any chance of some pics from the inside ( accreditations given to the publishers of course )
Cheers.
Do you realize how much I hate this uniform and all it stands for. ( Cross of Iron )
dsvirus
Lance Corporal

Post by dsvirus »

I shall be getting on of these! How are they?
mic heinrich
Private

Post by mic heinrich »

Mine arrived today....WOW.....a must for any Tiger fan, this book is incredible. Highly recommend :thumbup: :thumbup:
LMN118
Private

Post by LMN118 »

Good book well worth the money especially since it is quite cheap. A lot of the technical drawings have been printed before but those books tend to go for £40 or more.

Ideally I would have like to have seen more mechanicals and less or no history, more like the Haynes car series. They are published in the USA as well by the way. :)
It is never just "one" tank!
LarryE519
Recruit

Post by LarryE519 »

I agree this is a great book... :thumbup:

Does anyone know of anyother titles in the series? I have seen a Spit & the Millenium Falcon :D
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on. US Grant
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

There is also this one which I have a copy as well.
23e526f8.jpg
MichaelC

Return to “Reference Books”