The Tank Book V's Tanks

Please post useful reference books that you may have here. Please give a short description with each link.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

The Tank Book V's Tanks

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Firstly, I'm going to have to be careful here because I don't want to cause the forum to get into copyright infringements.

I now have in my possession these two books.

The one on the left also goes by the name of "Tank" which is a Smithsonian publication. Can be seen here, Tank: Definitive History and WOT Graphic Novel: Roll Out! - RC Tank Warfare
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=23600

The one on the right also goes by the name of "Tanks, 100 years of armoured warfare." And "Tanks, The history of armoured warfare." The first edition as the "100 years" had pull out copies of documents. Can be seen here. Tanks-100 years of Armoured warfare - RC Tank Warfare
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24469&p=228360&hili ... ok#p228360

Here are photos of the table of contents for each book, starting with left first.

Now the book on the right.

Without boring you to tears.
The left book has 256 pages, and is full of tank pictures, illustrations and some historical pictures. Totally dedicated to the visualisation of tanks with lots of detail close ups of a few featured tanks. Mostly a picture book with detailed information about each picture.
Imho, perfect for the modeller with lots of ideas for modelling.

The right book has 192 pages, and is full of historical pictures and literally has just a handful of illustrations or museum pictures.
Imho, more for a history enthusiast, although it does have historical black and white tank pictures mixed in with historical events etc. And also has written information about a select few tanks.
My version doesn't have the pull outs that 43rdRecceReg has in his earlier copy, but it does have the prints within the book.

To conclude, "The tank book" on the left, is more a visualisation of as many tanks as they could fit within the book.
And "Tanks" on the right, is more a history book about tanks.
Both will have similar historical information, although left is more biased towards technical, and right is more biased towards their impact during conflicts etc.

I hope this is helpful. Any questions please ask.

Oh, and as for the Conqueror, it gets a line of mention, that it was designed to counter the IS-3, and went out of service in 1966.

Regards.
Mick
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: The Tank Book V's Tanks

Post by silversurfer1947 »

The book on the left (The Tank Book) has previously been available in The Works at a greatly reduced price. The one on the right is currently on the online Works site at £10 so is proaly in the shops as well.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

silversurfer1947 wrote:The book on the left (The Tank Book) has previously been available in The Works at a greatly reduced price. The one on the right is currently on the online Works site at £10 so is proaly in the shops as well.
Yes, that's where both my copies came from :thumbup: and both for ten quid. Got the one on the right yesterday in the Sutton branch, they only had two left.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Wardog wrote:The works are selling it on eBay have 10 left if anyone is interested :thumbup:
Check your private messages.

Return to “Reference Books”