Tanks

Please post useful reference books that you may have here. Please give a short description with each link.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Tanks

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

So, this book came out a while back, with copies of documents inside. Not sure the recommended price.
Tanks, 100 years of armoured warfare.

Then the book was reintroduced without the documents. Recommended price £25
Tanks, The history of armoured warfare.

Today I went into my local "The Works" to see if they had any of the second books in stock as they were sold out online. Sadly they didn't, but, I found this, recommended price £20. But selling for only £10.
Tanks, From the first world war to the present day. An illustrated guide.

I'm wondering if they're all the same book, but revised/updated?

I'd love feedback please.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Tanks

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
I have the Smithsonian version titled 'Tank' It comes with 2 rare prints and covers the history of tanks from beginning to present day. Came out around the same time as the Tank Museum version. It would be interesting to see them side by side but I don't want to buy another version of practically the same book. I think I listed it in the Books section of the forum when I got it. viewtopic.php?f=108&t=23600 ( Yes, I did. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thank you Painless, yes, I remember you posting that. Well, I now have the tank museum version of the Smithsonian one you have, with identical cover, but called "The Tank Book" and the third one I posted above, "Tanks, From the first world war to the present day. An illustrated guide"
Therefore I'm now in a position to compare the two. I will try and make the time to do it tomorrow.

Does your one have a double spread picture of a cast Sherman at the beginning of your book "Tanks"

Regards.

Mick.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, Nick!
Yes it does. Tank is named 'Havoc' Seems we are on the same road. Maybe the 'Tanks from the 1st World War to the Present Day' will be different enough to add to my library. Always on the look out for good reading and reference material. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thank you Painless, yes, looks like your Smithsonian copy is the same as my tank museum version with the same cover.

I did want to compare that book with the one I got today as I've always been curious to similarities and whether it was worth owning both versions, i.e. your book, and one of the three above.

Therefore for only £10 I am now in the position to advise you folks about future book purchases, as in yay or nay :thumbup:

I'm guessing the three above are one and the same, maybe with just slight revisions.

Regards.
Mick.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Wardog wrote:I will have a look tomorrow in the works,hopefully the book is there on sale.
I think it's the 100 year book,but not going to bet on it.

Wardog
The only one the works appears to have in stock is the third one I posted above. But I believe it is the same as the 100 year one.

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The Tank Book is to be found on the bottom shelf of the bookcase and is gathering dust even as I speak,
When you have a minute why don't you look up the Vickers FV214 Conqueror in your copy?,
This British Heavy Tank was proposed as the adversary to the Soviet JS2 Heavy Tank,
Production of the MK1 began in 1955 20 examples being built this was followed by 8 ARV MK1s (Armoured recovery vehicle) these were followed by the MK11 165 of which were built these were followed by 20 ARV MK11s,
The last Conqueror rolled out of Vickers Leeds works in 1959.
The complete production run served with the British Army in Germany,
Starting its service in 1955, The last one being withdrawn from service in 1966.
I wish you luck in your search for the Conqueror because it certainly is not in my copy and considering that the book is published under the aegis of the Tank Museum which has a Conqueror in the Museums display of British Tanks it is a mystery to me why it was not included. :S
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Noted, I will check to see if it is mentioned in the latest book I have, thanks Shaun :thumbup:

Return to “Reference Books”