Tank: Definitive History and WOT Graphic Novel: Roll Out!

Please post useful reference books that you may have here. Please give a short description with each link.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Tank: Definitive History and WOT Graphic Novel: Roll Out!

Post by PainlessWolf »

I managed to get my hands on a copy of the highly touted Smithsonian Tank: The Definitive Visual History as well as a Garth Ennis World of Tanks graphic novel. Thank you, Barnes and Noble. Pics:
Attachments
Just where the book fell open at...
Just where the book fell open at...
Good Reads and Reference from B&N
Good Reads and Reference from B&N
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tank: Definitive History and WOT Graphic Novel: Roll Ou

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks for the recommendations, Painless. :thumbup: I see the Smithsonian tank history is available of Amazon UK, although I rather like the look of this mighty tome on a related theme:
Tank Museum- Tanks: 100 years of Armoured warfare
Tank Museum- Tanks: 100 years of Armoured warfare
100years of tanks.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
I'm still reading David Fletcher's "Cromwell Cruiser tank 1942-50', while still dipping into the same author's take on the Sherman Firefly; but when they've been absorbed, I might try The Smithsonian of Tank Museum histories...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Great reference materials and details thanks for sharing
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Brilliant book................I wish I had bought all mine over when I left New Zealand.
Well written as far as the descriptive narratives, and allowing for the museum style paint jobs, all the detailed pictures are outstanding.
Mine was a very lucky score and I'm grateful for the consideration.
Attachments
P1210002.JPG
P1210001.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you Painless. Indeed, it looks like a great summary book with crisp and attractive color pictures. I ordered one from Amazon. I've been trying to get my teenage son interested in tanks so I will leave this one hanging in the living room. It's so hard to get him off his IPhone and Facebook friends, he just like expensive sport cars. But after 25 years, I managed to make my wife able to recognize a Tiger, Panther and Sherman in the few times she comes visit me in the basement every year and when I bring something up. My mother will come spend a few days at my place soon, first time in 10 years. I think i will lock the basement door. She will definitely not understand.

Louis
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning all,
I have kept the Smithsonian book at my desk. It is wonderful to leaf through when the support calls are slow during the work week. I will have to get the Tank Museum book as well. I have been building a library of tank books like many of you guys. I even have a few on loan from Sassgrunt. Books which show the details and what have yous on armor are indispensable. Those which show the history of a certain type of tank and the changes made to it over it's service life are even more so. The 'Palace' and the StuG III would not have turned out as they did without Sass' loaners to me. Louis, I'll bet your mother would be more amenable to your chosen Hobby than you think. Her grandson and his sports car addiction, I don't know. *chuckles*
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Hello!
Thank you, sir. ;o) I was referring to the book that 43rdR&R had showcased. Even that one may be very similar as it has included documents like my version.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:And now after reading the following description, maybe it's written differently, giving a different concept. . . .

"On 15 September 1916 a new weapon entered the military arsenals at a small engagement on the Somme. The first tank, the British Mark I, was cumbersome, unreliable and slow, but the impact on the morale of the German troops was salutary. Whatever its initial technical shortcomings, the tank incarnated the mechanisation and industrialisation of warfare and helped to break the stalemate of the First World War. It brought together firepower, protection and mobility to become a key component of modern warfare. Published in association with The Tank Museum, this authoritative book charts the tank's first century, from the early stumbling attempts at developing an all-terrain armoured vehicle to the lethal killing machines of the twenty-first century. It features rare removable facsimile documents from the museum's archive, including diary entries, blueprints, instruction manuals and handbooks. Major technical developments and types are covered from the Mark IV, the German Panzer, the Russian T-26 and the American Grants and Shermans. The most famous tank battles are described, from Flers-Courcelette in 1916 to Kursk in 1943, the First Gulf War and the performance of tanks in the Russo-Georgian War of 2008."

I'll get me coat. . . . :{
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24469&p=228360&hili ... ok#p228360

S-O-A-G , Here's the thread on the Robin Cross/ David Willey book I mentioned, and also covered in an earlier thread in December. You must have missed it..
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Reference Books”