Haynes books.

Please post useful reference books that you may have here. Please give a short description with each link.
jarndice
Colonel

Haynes books.

Post by jarndice »

I think most of us are aware of the "Haynes" Tiger 1 (131) manual, but I was surprised that there is a "Sherman" as well as a "Churchill" and a "Challenger 1" in the same range of books. :thumbup:
If they are as instructive as the Tiger 1 tome they would make a very nice Christmas present for someone with a build or just an interest in these Tanks,
I got this titbit of information from the Tank Museums web page, :clap:
They are selling all of these plus a book on WW1 armour for approximately £90 for all 5.
Obviously you can get individual books from E-BAY and Amazon as well as in High street shops.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Haynes books.

Post by RobW »

The Haynes manual is affectionately referred to as the Haynes Book of Lies in the Land Rover club. Not so much for inaccuracies (although the classic one involved removing the rocker arm without undoing any cylinder head bolts - guess what holds it down) but for statements like "undo the bolt", usually this would involve a lot of swearing and maybe a gas axe and "to assemble use reverse of disassembly" which doesn't take into account needing a pry bar to move things into place.....

Maybe much better for the tanks, Millennium Falcon etc? Then again, has anyone tried to change the oil filter on a Sherman? ???
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ive worked on a few LR's as well Mr Rob, & to be honest, any book that misses out- Sell it to a tragic & get a Toyota HiLux or Landcruiser, could also be considered a book of less-than-truths ;) ;)

That aside, the current Haynes family of handy manuals are quite different from the ones my dad gave me .............a bit like Encyclopedia Britannica compared to Wikipedia !!
The generation of today gets out an I-phone & calls a man in a ute to bail them out, while sitting on their ass snap-chatting how tough their life is to their cast of a thousand "friends" that they dont actually know :/ :wtf: and asks advice on how to word an assertive email to the selling dealer for a warranty claim..................because they cant change a tyre or replace a battery that went flat because of the bloody I-Phone !!!! :think: :think:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
RobW

Post by RobW »

To be fair I've struggled to change the wheel on a modern car - turned my wife's wheel brace handle into a spiral & had to get a breaker bar out..... Garage were quite impressed when I dropped that & the wheel in for a new tyre.

Does seem to be a real difference though - the knowledge is there but no way to apply it or build (think) on it. I was training a bunch of students a couple of weeks back and it's scary how they were thinking (and acting) for an external lecturer.

As an aside, I'll let you off re the comment about Land Cruiser as you've been in Oz too long! :lolno:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Don't talk to me about Land Rovers,
In my youth, before I joined the service I was apprenticed to a village Garage to learn all there was to know about things mechanical.
We got far too may clapped out Land Rovers through the doors for my liking,
After an initial demonstration as to how to adjust the Tappets,
From then on the cry would go up in the workshop, "SHAUN, Land Rover, TAPPETS". The later engines were okay but the early engines were "Side valve" Exhausts, to be set cold and the "inlet valves" were overhead to be set warm. :crazy:
Now do you see why I joined the Army ?
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
RobW

Post by RobW »

Sounds like the 2l Series One engine. Showing your age.... My 2a is older than I am!
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Back to the OP, yes I have the Sherman book and it is one of my favorites. Will be going after the Tiger book soon.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric

Return to “Reference Books”