Ferdinand and Elefant Tank Destroyer

Please post useful reference books that you may have here. Please give a short description with each link.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Ferdinand and Elefant Tank Destroyer

Post by PainlessWolf »

A book by Thomas Anderson that I have been craving for some time. I plan to get an Elefant build started here, Winter of 2016, hopefully at Christmas after next. *winks* Time will tell.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Huge hardback filled with information and rare photos.  A gem by Anderson.
Huge hardback filled with information and rare photos. A gem by Anderson.
A new book to me.  Highly anticipated!
A new book to me. Highly anticipated!
...Here for the Dawn...
tao
Staff Sergeant

Re: Ferdinand and Elefant Tank Destroyer

Post by tao »

They had an interesting electric motor set up..and until recently I never knew Diesel trains are virtually all Diesel/Electric because
electric motors deliver max power from a dead start so perfect for a heavy train.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

What's the difference between the Ferdinand & Elefant? I thought they were the same vehicle?

Edit: Wiki to the rescue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elefant
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

This is another one to come Painless....Not sure about doing an Elephant...like this one a little better...going to do a Kit bash...so it won't be exact
it didn't have color before ...from my hands anyway... and the carriage was not assembled correctly...Sass clued me in on that ;)
It was a second hander...there were several issues with the guys build....thinking there is a clan out there that just slaps these models together lol...but no regrets on this one...got it for a song...the original kit is quite expensive...and getting harder to find ;)
Reason for getting this was information on it is scarce....Sass even lent me a book...there were only a couple of pages on it...with very few pictures ...so this model plus the GUP book will be of great use when I start this project :shifty:

this one is definitely a necessity ...there isn't too much info or photos of it

These are some photos I found last night...new to me...but it does show the first production model
Image[/quote]
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

RobW wrote:What's the difference between the Ferdinand & Elefant? I thought they were the same vehicle?

They share the same hull Rob....the difference is how the layout of the upper fixtures are placed

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha-Matic,
The GUP Porsche Tiger shows great detail in the show. ;o) I'm looking forward to you building that Beaut' of a tank.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

It'll be a nice project Painless..Will have to figure out the timing though ...as I do think it will consume a lot of it....several parts will need to be done from scratch..especially the suspension...the upper and lower will be kit bashed....also the turret ....and you know me....I'll grumble my way through and smile at the end :D

ALPHA
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

RobW wrote:What's the difference between the Ferdinand & Elefant? I thought they were the same vehicle?

There is a good list in Heavy Anti Tank Unit 653. Mostly it was using the learnings from Kursk. For instance all the tool boxes were moved. As soon as a Ferdinand was spotted everything opened up on them and at that time most Soviet armour, as well as artillery used HE rounds. This pretty much stripped all the external fittings and left the crew without tools. The rest is close in defense weapon in the form of an MG34, some more armour on the front and a Stug 3 cupola. That book is a good resource for anyone doing a Ferdinand, Elephant or Jagdtiger.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
I received my copy of 'German Heavy Anti-Tank Unit 653' in the mail today. It will be very useful along with the 'Ferdinand and Elefant' volume when I get around to doing either a Jagdtiger or Elefant. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Painless my good man you're in luck! Just as soon as the new museum opens I can get you all the pics of the one from Aberdeen that was restored just a few years ago.

Return to “Reference Books”