Tiger 1 History, Mods, and Camo

Please post your useful reference website links here. Please give a short description with each link.
wibblywobbly
Major

Tiger 1 History, Mods, and Camo

Post by wibblywobbly »

A very useful reference page for all Tiger variants.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/n ... _Tiger.php

If you ever wondered why the Germans didn't build more tanks, the answer is that Rommel was responsible for building the Atlantic Wall. He diverted 1.2 million tons of steel destined for tank production to the beach defences that stretched for hundreds of miles along the northern coast of France.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Tiger 1 History, Mods, and Camo

Post by jarndice »

I get very annoyed with some so called "EXPERTS" who say that while the Destruction of the Moehne and Eider Dams was tactically successful the raid had little strategic affect,
The German government rated the Ruhr Valley as its most valuable strategic industrial asset.
When those Dams were destroyed nearly 1/2 the electrical power for the Ruhr ceased.
Every available electrical source was diverted to provide power to the factory's until the Dams were back on stream(sic)
A study of German archives shows that all cement production and well over 1/3 of available Atlantic wall labour were diverted to rebuilding the Dams and that the Atlantic Wall was delayed for months which is why it was still being built in June 1944 and the delay most certainly saved the lives of many Allied servicemen on June 6th 1944 which meant the shortening of the European War of 1939-1945.
I am not a military expert but that looks to me like the raid on the Dams was strategically very successful.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Tiger 1 History, Mods, and Camo

Post by wibblywobbly »

I leave the expert analysis to those who were being shot at. :D

Another interesting piece of info is how they managed to build mile after mile of tank traps along the beaches in so little time. It actually took them about 60 seconds for each one. All they did was use hoses to liquify the sand and then let the girders sink into the gloopy mess under their own weight. The water drained away and bingo, a deeply rooted tank trap.

The Sherman hedge cutters that were fitted to 60% of them in the Brocage were designed by a farm lad who suggested the design. They were made using the girders that were on the beaches. Unfortunately, after getting the hedge cutters into production he went back to fighting on the front, and lost a leg about a week later.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Reference Websites”