Daks over Duxford D-Day 75

Any events that you have been to or want to tell about? If so post them here. Clubs and RC Organisations can advertise there upcoming events here.
Mic
Private

Daks over Duxford D-Day 75

Post by Mic »

Not quite tanks, but surely one no one wants to miss:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/daks-over-duxford
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Re: Daks over Duxford D-Day 75

Post by Black Knight »

Cool 8) But I'll be in Port en Bessin for the week with the Royal Marines (current and vets) :clap: :clap:
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I'm hoping to be there on the Wednesday.
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

I could only WISH to be there. My health wouldn't allow me to travel there for this. I certainly hope to see video of this. Those that are able to go, safe travels and enjoy this event.
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Not very fond memories of a DC3!
I managed to get three weeks Christmas leave while serving on detachment with the Ghurka's in Nepal.
If I could get to Katmandu by mid-day the following day I would be guaranteed a seat on a RNZAF Bristol 170 Freighter going to Singapore via Rangoon which would arrive on Christmas eve.
A phone call to Biratnagar Airfield and that booked me a ticket for the first flight of the following day.
Landie to the Airfield next day and there was the Royal Nepalese Airlines Ex military Dakota,
Up the steps and a walk up the fuselage to my seat,
First thing to do was put on the seat belt, Ahh Problem, It would not do up.
The prospect of flying in some of the most turbulent airspace in the world without a serviceable seatbelt was not overly inspiring,
Worse was to follow,
The Radio Operator (Yes Really) closed the cockpit door,
Oh no he didnt,
Oh yes he did,
Whoops the door hinges failed !!!
So he propped the door against the front bulkhead giving everyone a view through the cockpit windscreen,
We taxied out to the runway and accelerated, as the tail lifted we could all now see how short the runway was :O , then up we went, a collective sigh of relief and we relaxed,
The stewardess came round with cups of tea ( real China Cups and Saucers ) then she returned with plates of small fancy cakes.
With no trays in the seat backs I put my teacup on the floor and pulling out a sick bag from the elasticated pocket to put the cakes in I belatedly discovered that somebody had already used the sick bag and it was not filled with fancy cakes either.
After that it was a flight filled with magnificent views of the Himalaya's and then an overnight stop in Rangoon with an invite to the British Embassy for a Christmas party.
It would have been a great party except the RNZAF aircrew were also there and were enjoying themselves rather more than I wished considering that first thing in the morning they were flying me to Singapore crossing the Indian Ocean.
Great leave and an utterly boring return flight back to Nepal at the end of my leave. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

The NYT has a story on the American birds headed over this week. 8)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/19/nyre ... rsary.html
merlin_155065008_584a09bc-d04b-46c9-b5e4-bcaef07c89e6-superJumbo.jpg
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

I was on the ground in Normandy watching several gatherings of these magnificent aircraft. Quite emotional and amazing to see
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Events / Days out”