75th Anniversary of D-Day Landings June 2019

Any events that you have been to or want to tell about? If so post them here. Clubs and RC Organisations can advertise there upcoming events here.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

75th Anniversary of D-Day Landings June 2019

Post by Will01Capri »

Hi Guys
I am quite excited about this one!
My kids have finally got to an age they are interested and appreciate big things. THey love Mummy's & Daddy's model trucks and tanks, but this year we decided to go to France for D-Day as i have heard there are large gatherings of Military vehicles in and around the area.

What a great surprise they are going to have.

Is anyone else going?
Does anyone have any good info where to go and where the shows etc may be exactly?
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 75th Anniversary of D-Day Landings June 2019

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hi Will. I hope you and your family have a lovely time there :thumbup:

One thing I will add, take ear protectors for the little ones, best to be safe than sorry, I've seen many a little one getting very upset over the noise at such events.

Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Hi Will. I hope you and your family have a lovely time there :thumbup:

One thing I will add, take ear protectors for the little ones, best to be safe than sorry, I've seen many a little one getting very upset over the noise at such events.

Mick.
Thanks Mick, already sorted there we take them racing very often and have ear muffs permanently living in the car. But nice shout.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Cool :thumbup:

I used to take my girls to touring car etc, and down the pit lanes (handy knowing some people ;) ), always amazed me how dumb some parents were ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I have an invite to go with friends but alas work etc gets in the way.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

If its anything like the 70th, you are unlikely to get close to any of the major events - I was reliably informed that in 2009 all of the beaches were cordened off for re-enactors and VIP's only, and the only place you could get close was the parade thru Port En Besin. I'd recommend you plan very carefully to avoid disappointment.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Tiger6 wrote:If its anything like the 70th, you are unlikely to get close to any of the major events - I was reliably informed that in 2009 all of the beaches were cordened off for re-enactors and VIP's only, and the only place you could get close was the parade thru Port En Besin. I'd recommend you plan very carefully to avoid disappointment.
Good advice, many thanks :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Hope your hotel or campsite is inside the security cordon ,you will have to be there at least 2 days before, Like one post said if your outside the only place you can go is Port Besin and you have to be taken by bus .There is total security depends which head of states will attend in 2004 they had Police at every bridge and motorway junction from Paris to Normandy also had a 30km cordon around the Normandy beaches ,Take a look at the map of Normandy that's 80km x 30km every road closed and police checks hundreds of country lanes never seen so many police in one place. on the way back I passed around 30 buses full of police plus lost count of cars and motorbikes.

regards pete

Ps no security checks the day after
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

971wright wrote:Hi Hope your hotel or campsite is inside the security cordon ,you will have to be there at least 2 days before, Like one post said if your outside the only place you can go is Port Besin and you have to be taken by bus .There is total security depends which head of states will attend in 2004 they had Police at every bridge and motorway junction from Paris to Normandy also had a 30km cordon around the Normandy beaches ,Take a look at the map of Normandy that's 80km x 30km every road closed and police checks hundreds of country lanes never seen so many police in one place. on the way back I passed around 30 buses full of police plus lost count of cars and motorbikes.

regards pete

Ps no security checks the day after
The camp site just west of Port En Bessin is very nice (Camping Portland), but it will probably be booked up by now...
pebblemonkey73
Private

Post by pebblemonkey73 »

I wish I were attending,
Lack of work and no2 child arriving around June has curtailed my plans of representing in uniform my Great Cousin's regt- KSLI whom was killed on the 17th of June by a boobytrap aged 19.
Matt
I'll never own a stock tank :P
Member of the Midland Battle Tankers.

Return to “Events / Days out”