Model Show at the Tank Museum 15-16 Feb 2020

Any events that you have been to or want to tell about? If so post them here. Clubs and RC Organisations can advertise there upcoming events here.

Postby General Jumbo01 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:06 pm

The title says it all. It's on weekend after next so not much warning but its model, both static and RC, all types incl tanks and the museum is opening up some of the normally unseen items.

That's all l've been able to find out so far. Anyone know any more, such as can we bring our tanks, hours, prices??
Last edited by General Jumbo01 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:33 pm

You should find what you need to know here.
https://www.tankmuseum.org/whats-on/eve ... how-spring
It looks like invitation only for the rc models, but you could always enquire form the Tank Museum.
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby General Jumbo01 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:45 pm

Thanks, obvious place to look! :{

I see Haya has a stand but l don't see any RC Tank Warfare group. Why is that? It's such a shame that this site is nothing more than a talk shop when we could be doing so much more together, promoting our hobby.
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby Jarlath » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:48 pm

2920! GD I'm amazing if I last until then... :)
Jarlath
Private

Postby General Jumbo01 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:50 pm

Sorted!
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:53 pm

There was a group, whose name currently escapes me, who had pretty much sewn up all the Miltary Shows in the south west. They used to hold regular meetings at the Tank Museum. As a generality, they mainly showed 1/6 scale tanks. As a consequence, I guess people were put off.

EDIT: After a bit of reearch, I have found them - Southern Armoured Group. From their Facebook page, they still have a regular meeting there.
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby General Jumbo01 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:01 pm

What people were put off? Isn't it up to us to get our act together and be proactive about getting RCTW groups at shows? It would be great fun and also be a good social event for us. l'm sure that, no matter where in the UK (or indeed elsewhere) the shows are held, there must be a number of us close enough to attend and represent us.

Is there anyone else here that would like to do this or is it just me?
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby williamthedog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 pm

I was debating whether to visit this show or not. As it happens work commitments decided for me :|
williamthedog
Recruit

Postby General Jumbo01 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:46 pm

It's my birthday on the Saturday and l'm hosting but if l survive then Sunday is a possible. While there l can make enquiries regarding next year and any other events this summer.

Before l do anything though, am l treading on anyone elses toes? Does RCTW have an events organiser or similar? Maybe someone on the staff could answer that please.
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby jstevens » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 am

I am going on the Saturday it should be a good day out. I agree when it comes to getting out there and promoting the hobby. I also do flight simulation and we have a very active group in the southwest we attend the flightsim show at Cosford every year as a group with a stand and it works well..

jstevens
Recruit

Postby Jimmer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:27 pm

Never been there is it indoors as weather looks terrible and it’s a 2 hour drive for me.

Jimmer
Private

Postby jarndice » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:51 pm

The forecast for Bovington on the 15th Feb is 12c Light rain and a fresh breeze,
On the 16th Feb 13c Strong winds and rain,
So not very promising for anyone facing a two hour drive there and back. :thumbdown:
jarndice
Major

Postby Model Builder 4 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:28 pm

Morning all,

I've seen on the attendees list that there is already an Rc tank club registered. Rc tank regiment, they used to have a forum similar to this but that closed down a couple of years back, they are now based as a Facebook forum. I was a member of the RCTR forum when I first started in the hobby but as I don't have a Facebook account I could not migrate over to they're new forum. They have attended these model events for a number of years at bovington of which I was lucky enough to be at a few, they put on a good display including a battlefield, if anyone is interested there is a video on YouTube if you search tankmod bovington 2015, hope this is of some interest :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Model Builder 4
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby General Jumbo01 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:13 pm

Could have been worse if it had been this weekend!

However, whilst some of us may attend as a visitor if they have nothing better to do, l was enquiring if we were attending as a RCTW Display team. Apparently not. So my next question was, should l approach Bovinton with a view to us displaying next year. Regardless of the apparent lack of interest, l will do so and see it l can put together a package providing indoor facilities and maybe a discounted deal with a local hotel. I've done this many times before when organising sponsored National, European and World Championships at various race circuits in the uk, all for RC events. It just takes a little positive initiative and then some support to see it through. That last bit is where the UK members here play their part.

It far more fun that sitting indoors all weekend reading about it. Anyone remotely inspired?
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Postby Exhibitedbrute » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:28 pm

Sounds like a notion I could back

Exhibitedbrute
Lance Corporal

Return to Events / Days out