Munster Panther Befehlspanzer Ausf.A- walkaround

Any events that you have been to or want to tell about? If so post them here. Clubs and RC Organisations can advertise there upcoming events here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Munster Panther Befehlspanzer Ausf.A- walkaround

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Some extra details this Munster PanzerMuseum panther can be had from this ever useful reference site:
http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panthers.pdf Do check it out if you've not leafed through it before.
On the subject of reference, whilst these pics were taken on a day out to Munster, they may be of more use in the long term in the 'other reference' category, since they're intended to provide closeups of tank parts for our more demanding, detail-conscious builders. :) Just a thought.
Munster Befehlspanzer Panther Ausf.A-
Munster Befehlspanzer Panther Ausf.A-
This tank is in working condition, but the engine is a modern MTU diesel unit.
Panther Driver's vision slit/port
Panther Driver's vision slit/port
Panther Gun support and vision port
Panther Gun support and vision port
Panther- tool attachments
Panther- tool attachments
Panther interleaved wheel detail
Panther interleaved wheel detail
Interesting camo scheme colours on this model, which are heading towards the purple end of the spectrum.. :) Hmmm.. Well, yes, purple isn't technically a part of ROYGBIV, but you get the point. It's composed of colours from the spectrum.
Panther l.h. (shielded) drive sprocket
Panther l.h. (shielded) drive sprocket
Panther 'c' hook mounting
Panther 'c' hook mounting
I've seen the 'hook' referred to as a 'clevis' hook; but I'm not convinced it fits that description. I've used 'clevis pins' before, but this towing link doesn't perform that sort of function, I think.
Panther axe and two cable mountings
Panther axe and two cable mountings
Panther spare track mountings
Panther spare track mountings
Attachments
Panther r.h. side tools and jack support block
Panther r.h. side tools and jack support block
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Munster Panther Befehlspanzer Ausf.A- walkaround

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

More pics:
Panther r.h. tool mountings
Panther r.h. tool mountings
Panther late model shielded lamp details
Panther late model shielded lamp details
Panther wooden jack support block
Panther wooden jack support block
I'm guessing that this block must be made of Oak (Eich), considering the massive weight it would have to support. This example as metal straps fitted, most likely to prevent the block from splitting. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I wouldn't take this as an accurate example - I'm reliably informed its very much a squaddie restoration with a lot of small details missing or bodged in the camp workshops to look ''about right' :S
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Apart from the loss of the original engine, owing to a lack of parts with which to recondition it, there's really nothing in its provenance to suggest that it's a pic 'n' mix Panther, as far as I could glean. :problem: :|
Here's what the Shadock site says:
*....Panther Ausf. A Befehlspanzer – Munster Panzer Museum (Germany) – running condition This tank was bought by Sweden in 1948 for trial purposes (Petter Baeckström). It was given back to the Panzerlehrbrigade at Munster in 1960. Some years later it was handed over to the Panzertruppenschule. In the 80s the commander of the Panzertruppenschule initiated a total restoration. Also the original HL 230 was overhauled by MTU at Friedrichshafen. After some problems with the HL 230 engine and the lack of spare parts, the engine was replaced by a modern MTU Diesel. So the sound of this tank, while being moved, is not original. However it is in running condition (Rudi Ehninger, Brigadier General (rtd) German Panzertruppe)......"
I saw nothing in the Museum catalogue suggested it's a Frankenpanther. Then again, it looks like a Panther, Clanks like a Panther, and as far as the visitor is concerned, it must be a Panther :)
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Must visit here! Stop posting photos lol
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Must visit here! Stop posting photos lol
:D :D

There's still the Panther gun and a King Tiger in the wings, Adam... ;)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This is the type of gun fitted to the Panther:
Panther 75mm Cannon
Panther 75mm Cannon
Panther- view of Mantlet edge and trunnion pivot
Panther- view of Mantlet edge and trunnion pivot
It was pretty deadly.

Return to “Events / Days out”