painting

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
TIGERRYES
Recruit

painting

Post by TIGERRYES »

hi everyone, i'm hoping someone can help. I've just purchased a 1/16th Tiger 1 and looking to paint it in the sandy yellow with green/brown camoflage. i was wondering if anyone has a car spray paint colour match for the base coat please
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: painting

Post by Kaczor »

I don't know about car paint (as basically every country have it's own brand of car paints) But in case of model paints:
- Tamiya Spray TS-3 Dark Yellow
- Vallejo Spray 28001 Panzer Yellow
- AK Spray 1023 Dunkelgelb
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, I fear you will need to revise your views on painting when it comes to this hobby,
We suggest you paint all metal parts with etching primer or the paint will not take,
BUT first you should go over the Whole vehicle with an Acrylic thinners soaked lint free cloth (Blitz paper towels are my first choice) (Thanks to Tom Hugill tips.) to remove any grease,
Then as it is a German Tank from WW2 a complete coverage of the Tank in Red Oxide Primer (Red Oxide was the primer used by German Tank Factories)
Your local car accessories store is an excellent source of large (And CHEEP red oxide rattle cans)
Your choice of Matt Top coats are of course yours and yours alone but do bear in mind that acrylic Paints are water soluble, ENAMEL is not, in other words once enamel is on it is ON whereas Acrylics can be washed off with acrylic Thinners,
You have a choice of suppliers in acrylic Brush and Rattle cans, HUMBROL are at the cheap end Tamiya at the expensive end and E-Bay is a good place to find decent prices and if you have an airbrush then E-Bay is a great source of bulk paint supplies,
Rather than using Masking tape I would recommend Low Tac Paper.
Do check through the Forums menu for advice on Painting and weathering,
Preparation and patience are the secret to a decent paint job on your armour as well as research and of course cleanliness all having to be done in a dust free room at a temperature in excess of 16c.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

If you are inexperienced with painting models, some come with a reasonably good finish as a starter. What brand of Tiger I did you get? Can you post a photo? That might help get you more specific advice on painting.

Return to “General Discussion”