Our diorama

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
761st
Private

Our diorama

Post by 761st »

After we finished homework, (he is learning French and sight words) we had time for tanks. He drove the Sherman 105 named SNAFU. At one point he asked what building was the "bombed out" one. I replied. "Just a building." He grabbed some supplies and came up with this.

Good thing summer break is around the corner,
school2.jpg
Last edited by 761st on Wed May 04, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Our diorama

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

It all looks really cool :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
761st
Private

Post by 761st »

Thank you sir. I like the sign he placed between the buildings! Hahahaha!

This is the initial placement and test of materials. I see now why tanks are not designed for urban combat. Maneuvering is difficult.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yes, I should have mentioned the sign :D

Tanks were/are vulnerable, especially in narrow streets.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ah, there is a sense of humor in the fellow! :) Of what are your buildings made?
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Please show more photos and tell us how buildings was made :)
761st
Private

Post by 761st »

Good morning guys and thanks.

I have used two different materials Each one has advantages and draw backs,

1- xps foam board Otherwise known as insulation foam. Available at most hardware stores. It comes in two thicknesses
I find the 1 inch closer to "scale" and more likely to stay straight after being cut. Cutting either thickness is a bit of a trial and error. A razor knife works pretty well but there are rough edges remaining. It's like cutting syrofoam.

I like the xps because you can work details into it using a dull tipped pencil or other utensil. We like to fire BB's and watch the impact crater happen.

2 - Coroplast. This is harder to work with but so far it holds up to the Florida weather. It is a thin material so it looks a little "off" in the scale department. I have yet to find an adhesive that works with this material so I end up framing the structure on the inside. You can see the screw heads but that will be addressed later.

Of the two, my favorite is the xps. It's easier to work with and is quicker. I use Gorilla spray adhesive. WARNING. Glue spray and rattle can spray will "melt" the foam. So far the best painting solution is cheap acrylic paint found at most craft stores. I mix with Hodge-Podge matte craft glue. Seems to act as a protective shell. Thus far the paint does not appear to fade in the Florida heat.

Coroplast will take any spray you put on it with no issues.

The price for coroplast is going up . So if your neighbor has a for sale sign or a campaign sign, take it. I use salvaged material when I find it. The metal rods used to stick the sign in the yard are repurposed to act as an anchor in the wind.
coroplast
coroplast
mini3 hangar.jpg
I will post xps projects next. Please know, my dio is very much a discover as I go and as such lacks a finished look. In time that will happen but for now it's more about learning how and what works. Always up for ideas and questions.
Last edited by 761st on Mon May 09, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

761st wrote: Please know, my dio is very much a discover as I go and as such lacks a finished look. In time that will happen but for now it's more about learning how and what works. Always up for ideas and questions.
Thanks for the info, it is very interesting.
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
761st
Private

Post by 761st »

xps Building front is a combo of white spray and brown acrylic. You can see the rough edges from the cuts. I imagine there is a device and a way to have a better cut line but, for now it works. Both pieces are one inch thickness.

The column is an unpainted piece which was left over from scrap. The dimpled effect comes from pressing it with tin foil.
mini front.jpg
mini column.jpg
761st
Private

Post by 761st »

Thanks Joe. We have a great time building the dio. Almost as much fun as the tanks. I use broken cider blocks and set a small fire and smoke set up for special effects. Obviously being careful not the melt anything.

Return to “General Discussion”