Latest Ukraine war fashion for your T72/T90

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Latest Ukraine war fashion for your T72/T90

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

AlwynTurner wrote:The sand box armour really perplexes me, I mean an anti-tank missile travelling at many ks per hour wouldn't even notice the sand or the wood. Maybe they had some pet cats and needed a kitty litter box to take with them? Now a couple of stout wooden logs might make a difference and surely they have seen enough pics of shermans withe log armour from WW2, or maybe they haven't had time to do the internet research, who knows?
Or they took this offer seriously. . . .
Attachments
59414.jpg
59414.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The German Army in WW2 researched the "Secondary" armour of Extra tracks, Logs, Sandbags etc on the effect that these various fittings had on the protection of any particular vehicle,
They were very surprised to discover that the protection was in fact nominal or in some cases negative,
And how many of you paint a bloom of Matte black around the muzzle brake of the main gun on your German armoured vehicle even though the German army were the first to introduce "Smokeless" ammunition into service ?
I know that I do simply because right or wrong it is what you expect to see.
Last edited by jarndice on Wed May 11, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jarndice wrote:The German Army in WW2 researched the "Secondary" armour of Extra tracks, Logs, Sandbags etc on the effect that these various fittings had on the protection of any particular vehicle,
They were very surprised to discover that the protection was in fact nominal or in some cases negative,
Didn't a memo go around to ban the use of extra makeshift armour because of the extra weight on the transmissions that were already straining to their limit. But a few tank commanders ignored it :think:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
General Patton nearly blew a gasket on several occassions when he caught his tank crews covering their Sherman's in sandbag 'armor'.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

That's not armor; that's sand to help when a T90 gets stuck in the snow and ice. :haha:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Here is a terrifying glimpse of the possible future of tank warfare, in this case against a relatively modern Russian T-72B3 in Ukraine.

drones
drones
Capture80.JPG (29.69 KiB) Viewed 951 times
It shows that highly trained and expensive tanks will be stalked 7/24 and destroyed by cheap but superbly well armed drones, operated by teenagers on a couch, eating pizza, laughing, taking videos and shown worldwide in real time.

Looks like the first 3 free fall ammo rounds might have hit the ERA on the top of the tank. Before the fourth ammo hits, the tanks is seen moving, then a catastrophic explosion as the fourth round hits. My guess is that such drone mods will get real attention going forward in terms of development. Its only a question of time before these are attacking in swarms and operate in a almost autonomous fashion at great range. There will be no more front or rear areas. Individual soldiers will be stalked. Terrifying.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

This is what happens, time and time again, when the Russian automatic loading system (which could also choose, quite happily, an arm or a leg to stuff in the breech, on earlier iterations 8O ), is hit from above by the likes of the Javelin, or even the British/Swedish NLAW:
phpBB [video]

Someone observed recently, that there's more evidence of Russian turrets flying currently that their airforce...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
OldWolf
Recruit

Post by OldWolf »

I was thinking about how drones are changing the battlefield. I think tanks in the future will use drone swarms to deal with scouting, other drones and even incoming missiles. If you have ever seen ai controlled drone swarms, I think you will agree they can be scary. Think Alfred Hitchcocks “The Birds” but substitute drones.

A tank could easily carry a large number of small drones, such that each tank can maintain a rotation of AI controlled swarms. One or more swarms recharging on the tank while the current swarm is active. Assume 12 drones aloft in a swarm at any time. Two drones scout ahead, spotting anti-tank teams, etc. before the tank gets in los. 2 drones act as a CAP to kill enemy drones that are trying to surveil the tank. Eight drones stay close to the tank and act as interceptors and collide with incoming atgms.

A tank can carry and recharge far more small drones than infantry teams can, so a column of tanks should be able to dominate its close in air space and scout ahead well enough to make life very dangerous for ambushing infantry. Essentially, drone swarms replace the infantry tank riders of WW2.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Solid points !
So now, how do we model a tank with Drone Armour in ready-use position? :crazy:
At least it might solve the issue of loads of ERA blocks on yourTrumperter model eh !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Donated Dutch YPR-765 APCs operated by newly formed Ukrainian unit in training. Everything points to a general counter offensive sometimes during the summer once the Russians are out of steam. Surprisingly, the YPR-765 did not come with Browning M2 or the Oerlikon KBA 25mm that equipped some of them. Most seem to have the ACAV cupola though. I am guessing that equipping these with some kind of main armament is in the plan before being sent to the front. Notice what seems to be British helmets, and use of AK rifles. I saw a picture this week of a US M4 carbine being unpacked. It will be a hot summer in Ukraine.
Dutch YPR-765 APCs
Dutch YPR-765 APCs
Capture89.JPG (51.09 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Dutch YPR-765 APCs
Dutch YPR-765 APCs
Capture90.JPG (59.23 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Dutch YPR-765 APCs
Dutch YPR-765 APCs
Capture91.JPG (28.93 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Dutch YPR-765 APCs
Dutch YPR-765 APCs
Capture92.JPG (43.46 KiB) Viewed 912 times