question about Henglong Panzer IV modification

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
cannon jockey
Recruit

question about Henglong Panzer IV modification

Post by cannon jockey »

I just purchased my first RC Tank--A fully upgraded HengLong Panzer IV Ausf F2/G with all the metal parts that Henglong provides plus their 7.0 electronics. Having a few books on the Panzer IV and having built a few 1/35th models over the years, I realized there were a few ahistorical anomalies with the Heng Long version--the worst being the storage bin being too high in relation to the top of the turret. In doing a search on the issue, I also became aware of the rear upper deck not being sloped as it should be. Fixing the slope of the rear deck of course creates an issue with the rear upper hull plate and all its molded bits and bobs so I think I can live with that but that humpbacked bin sticking up that really bothers me. However, I'm aware that the barrel elevation cam and motor housing live in the storage bin area.

My first question about this is simple. If I were to use a fine razor saw to slice off the existing lid, is there enough space over the top of the existing barrel elevation unit to lower the sides of the bin and replace the lid at the correct height? Actually, I would probably make a new lid since the hinge area of the lid is also too far forward anyway. I don't intend to make it a functional lid--just lower it to the proper height and angle.

I thought it worth asking this question before I went to the trouble to disassemble, then pull all the guts and wiring out the turret only to find out that there is no room to lower the top of the bin using the existing Heng Long elevation mechanism. The Panzer III bin in real life actually is proud to the top of the turret and since I think Heng Long came out with the PZr III before they released the Pzr IV, I'm guessing that they got lazy and just used the same bin tooling from the III for the IV. I'm hoping that may mean that the space I need is hidden under that bin lid because of this.

I hope I described that well enough for a response. Just let me know.

Cheers
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: question about Henglong Panzer IV modification

Post by Kaczor »

Well, Taigen/Torro Panzer IV have proper size turret bin and mechanisms fits so it should not be a problem. Slope of engine deck is bigger issue tho. Some people use Trumpeter or Tamiya upper hull but it's too expensive and require lot of fork to fit lower hull ;)
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

G'day Mr C-jockey
In short..............Yes it does.
If the bin lid is sliced off very carefully it can be made close enough to look much better than it is out of the box.
While not ever going to be as nice as a Tamiya or a later Taigen version, it can be done relatively stress free.
The engine deck can also be "adjusted" to take the slope that is a feature of the PzIV.
I did both on mine a million years ago(or so it seems) and yes its work, but yes its worth it.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19363

I'd say that by your cautious and informed approach to the project, that you will pull it off easily.
I will certainly be watching along your progress.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi CJ, I bought a replacement turret bin from Dave @ www.forgebeartanks.com to do the job you are proposing, Then Taigen came out with a pretty near perfect replica of the PZ4 Turret using a servo for the main gun elevation,
Being lazy I bought the new Turret and just plonked it in place of the old heng long turret which now resides on a PZ4 Ausf D which did not normally have a turret bin BUT if you can get the servo and main gun into your turret then you should have plenty of room to lower the turret bin,
A study of the Taigen new edition Turret internals should help you work out the detail.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
cannon jockey
Recruit

Post by cannon jockey »

Thanks, gents for all the informative replies. I don't know why I didn't think to do this earlier but I subsequently did a Google search for images of both "Heng Long" and "Taigen" elevation units. There were pictures of all of the various units. The Taigen unit that went in their plastic P IV and P III looked exactly like the unit used in the Heng Long although since there were no dimensions given there was no way to discern if they were exactly the same size. However, I did see that Taigen introduced a completely different elevation unit for their newer line of metal Panzer IV tanks. The new unit shown was listed as only working for their mostly metal P IV's. Of course, buying a complete Taigen turret and/or turret/hull combo would still not solve the rear deck issue but would run my costs up to the point that I would have been much better off buying the Taigen to start with. Of course, having been a lifelong hobbyist of one kind or another, I know that may happen anyway. :haha:

Here's a shot of the various Taigen elevation units. The one in the center of the top row is the old unit used on both the Taigen plastic P III and P IV. It looks identical to the Heng Long unit except for the color of the plastic. Believe it or not, the green plastic unit at the far right on the bottom row is the new elevation unit only used in their newer metal Panzer IVs. I have no idea how it is mounted but it looks too long to fit into the bin so maybe it's mounted underneath or on side of the rest of the barrel assembly.

Anyway, I am now resolved to go ahead and attempt to modify the Heng Long storage bin. I also feel that it would probably be worth the trouble now to fully disassemble the turret as much as possible to facilitate the job. I have to decide if I feel industrious enough to tackle the rear hull slope. Nobody I know (present company excluded) will ever notice or appreciate any of this work so it's mostly just for me. There's quite a bit of other minor stuff to fix like actually mounting the antenna on the right side of the tank in front of its storage trough instead of on that metal nub they put in the center of the rear hull. From what I can tell the non-commander style antenna remained on a spring-loaded swivel mount on the right side through the Ausf G. Heng Long even replicated the mount although in a static form for no useful purpose at all. I have to figure out if I can turn it into a working swivel mount :problem:

Thanks again

Cheers
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Somewhere on this Forum 43Regt describes the method he used to modify the rear engine cover from level to a 5 degree slope,
As to the aerial I always buy mine from http://www.rctank.de/
it is supposedly for the PZ111 but in fact the aerial for the PZ4 is exactly the same, as are a number of other fittings such as the cupola and the tracks although the PZ4 will need more links,
If you do order from Dom at RC Tanks.de you must remind them that you are in the USA and not liable to Value Added Tax.
That particular saving will help to cover the cost of the postage.
Don't forget the Ausf H and J aerials were mounted on the rear flank.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Imex eric at Taigen in Florida is a very helpful gentleman and well worth checking out for advice on spares provision for the Taigen range which in this case covers your Heng Long needs.

Return to “General Discussion”