A book I recently read.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
OldWolf
Recruit

A book I recently read.

Post by OldWolf »

I’m not sure if this is the right place to mention historical fiction but I saw no better spot.

I recently read Armor the Complete Series by Craig DiLouie. It is a 5 book series that follows an American tank crew from the landings in North Africa to the end of the war. It is available in kindle unlimited. I found it well worth reading. I am not going to go into much detail since saying almost anything would be a spoiler. I will mention the American spitfires. The brief mention of them early in the first book made me wonder about the author’s research. But then I did a little research and discovered that they were very real. Always nice to learn something new.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: A book I recently read.

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The US had 600 of them, apparently. Photo Reconnaissance Spitfires were also popular with the USAAF.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I am going to see about getting the books on Kindle once the cash tree shakes a little bit more. And thank you: despite a lifelong interest in WWII aircraft and armor, I did not know that the US used any Spitfires.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I think this might be the time to ask if anyone does like and recommends a book please could you include the "ISBN" number,It should be at the very front of the book,
It makes ordering a copy much easier. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
OldWolf
Recruit

Post by OldWolf »

Here you go:
Publisher ? : ? Independently published (January 1, 2020)
Language ? : ? English
Paperback ? : ? 264 pages
ISBN-10 ? : ? 1654194840
ISBN-13 ? : ? 978-1654194840

That is actually for the first book in the series. What I read was the e-book collection of all 5 which is treated as a single book download by kindle unlimited. It didnt seem to have an ISBN of its own.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Thank you very much , :thumbup: I was not in anyway criticising you I was appealing to the wider community of book reviewers,
Please keep us up to date on books you have read and liked or disliked but the "ISBN" Number is a great help for anyone especially those who are out of country who want to get a copy.
OldWolf
Recruit

Post by OldWolf »

Interestingly, e-books, at least those I find on amazon, do not seem to make an ISBN readily available. Are independent e-book publishers not using them? Or does amazon just not list them in its e-publishing ?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

All Printed books are required to have an "ISBN" number but I have no idea how "E" Books stand,
International Standard Book Numbering was instituted by WH Smith in the 70s who went to full computerisation of all their printed products at this time and was adopted by the British Standards organisation and has since become universally recognised.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

There are several articles about the US Spitfires. One even claimed they had 800 of them! I think that's a tad OTT, 8O but the Americans had several squadrons based in England that were fully equipped with Spitfires. Around 350 enemy aircraft were claimed by US pilots flying them. :) They were also flown by the Us Navy.
https://warisboring.com/americas-spitfires/
There are more articles, but the one above linked to this fascinating account of a young US photo-reconnaissance pilot, grateful to have the Spitfire PR X1 as his steed. A very brave man, going unarmed, and solo, over Germany. 8O
phpBB [video]

The subject is certainly worthy of a book. :think:

A great man, and I really approve of his parting comment: "A sweet aeroplane- every pilot should fly one at least once!"...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”